Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic alternatives to McGhee

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Only a prolonged period adrift in the bottom eight of the table would really make me withdraw my support from McGhee. He is being provided with a midtable squad by the board, he is producing those results - and given that this wasn't an easy start to the season in fixtures, I can see us going a little bit higher than midtable, top 10 maybe. But we won't make the play-offs unless the board get those one or two better quality players in.

Provided with a midtable squad by the board?

Right last summer Harding wanted out, nothing McGhee could do about that and the Virgo offer was so stupid we had to take it.

However every change of personnel since them has been the manager's decision (with the possiblity that Turienzo had some nudging from above). Whether these changes were tactical or due to grudges is open to debate, but McGhee made those decisions and has been unable to replace the players he has moved on with players of a similar standard, so in fact it is McGhee's policies that have left us with a League One Lower Midtable Squad.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
When has mid table EVER been acceptable ?

If we are all thinking that way then its time to shut up shop, forget about Falmer and all f*** off home.

We are better than mid table, mediocracy and excuses are no longer acceptable.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Rougvie said:

If we are all thinking that way then its time to shut up shop, forget about Falmer and all f*** off home.

Well said - this side should have been able to at least put up a fight in the Championship, so it should be able to at least show a fight for promtion in this.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Rougvie said:

Come on now. sit back and accept the SHIT, you know that is what all good fans do.

Bad fan you.

:nono:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
We have no right to automatic promotion this season, but anything other than top 8 is going backwards and if we are to secure investment for Falmer we need to have a product on the park to make sure the dream is kept alive.

We can just about do that in this division as long as we have something to play for, like in the past (for those who may have forgotten) our fickle support has drifted away in seasons where we have had nothing to play for, that cannot be allowed to happen

Its all very well banging on about Falmer all day, but it aint going to happen if we are in L2 or worse, many seem to have lost site of the bigger picture.

Can nobody realise that ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I fear that the board are putting too many eggs in the Falmer basket and what Rougvie is saying is spot on. We need a relatively successful season.

Even if we fail gloriously in the play offs or flirt with them all season, but mid table (or lower) is UNACCEPTABLE.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
London Irish said:
Poor start to the season? If we'd have won on Sunday, we'd have gone 3rd or 4th. That's a poor start to the season then? By what ludicrous standards?

I don't think I called it a poor start, what I said was that having survived the collapse of last season we needed to start this season well, and we haven't. What we've seen is all of the same problems that we saw last season.

Despite being a division lower we are still unable to attract anyone, and yes I do think that's partly down to McGhee. I think players wanted to come here under Coppell, and managers wanted to loan players to coppell because he could only help them. I don't think McGhee has got any less of a budget than Coppell had, but no-one wants to play for him.

There are plenty of players at the club currently who don't appear to want to play for him, and only a fool would believe players don't talk to each other at different clubs. Players here want out, so why would other players want to come here.

I'm not saying EVERYTHING he does is wrong, because that would be stupid. He has made a couple of good signings, and the way he has brought the youth players through has been largely very good - although Elphick looked badly handled.

But overall, I think we are looking at more of the same this season, and he needed to show us more than that to alleviate the building pressure. For me, he has to do a lot to win me back over, as I have serious doubts about him, and have had for some time now. It's feeling a lot like Sven, who looked all at sea in the WC of 2002, and I needed to see things that showed my fears were misjudged, but I never did. of course we were qualifying ok, but that wasn't my concern. Just as beating Gillingham, Rotherham and Boston is all very well, but the things that worry me about McGhee are all still so apparent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here