Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real beginner at jogging needs advice guys.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Ok fellows NSC’ers I need your support and advice with this one, it’s been working with the diet, and am fast approaching 4 stone for the year so far, and fully expect 5 st by Dec 31st. I have built up my exercise to now doing 10,000 steps a day regularly. Was cycling a few miles a day but unfortunately don’t have a bike any longer. Anyway, getting to the point, I aim to return to playing cricket next season after a year out and am looking to get my jogging/running going. Now before you laugh, when I say I am starting very easy I mean it. Yesterday was my first jog and it was only over a fifth of a mile (358 metres). I had to walk 100 paces and it took 1min 29 secs. I don’t think I will make London 2012 yet! However I did same today 20 secs quicker and only 50 steps walked so it’s working! So what I need is some advice on best way to approach this. I am still very overweight at 20-7 (age 58) so have to be careful of the joints etc. Should I stick with a daily jog over same distance and just carry on till I can do it without stopping and then increase by say 10%. That seems a reasonable idea but I know Nsc has many runners on it so any input welcome. I intend updating this thread as I go as it will help me a great deal just as the dieting has, so humour me!!
PS if anyone in Littlehampton has a spare sturdy mens bike they don’t want let me know!

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Decent pair of trainers & take it easy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apologies for asking but how overweight are you? Im not sure what you mean by 20-7.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Apologies for asking but how overweight are you? Im not sure what you mean by 20-7.

at beginning of year I had reached 24 stone 3 pound. 339 pounds. now 20 stone 7 pounds 287 pounds, lost 52 pounds

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Decent trainers on the to get list for sure. and yep, need to take very easy and not be my usual all or nothing self!

Good luck Highway

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Find yourself a flat long stretch with makers on it, eg The lamp posts along the seafront. Then run between the first set,quick walk the next set, run the next. As you start feeling fitter reduce the walking set. Do two lamp posts, quick walk one set, run two. Hope that makes sense. Stretch well prior to exercise and warm down well. Last but not least enjoy it!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
keep going with the run/walk strategy.

perhaps run a bit less than you know what you can do in one session, walk to recover, then run again, walk to recover.

slowly build up the distance, and don't always go out to try to do more or faster than your last run.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Find yourself a flat long stretch with makers on it, eg The lamp posts along the seafront. Then run between the first set,quick walk the next set, run the next. As you start feeling fitter reduce the walking set. Do two lamp posts, quick walk one set, run two. Hope that makes sense. Stretch well prior to exercise and warm down well. Last but not least enjoy it!
Cheers mate for that, the lamp post idea a good one i reckon, the road im in is flat and has various "markers" so will be ok, and is quiet too!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
keep going with the run/walk strategy.

perhaps run a bit less than you know what you can do in one session, walk to recover, then run again, walk to recover.

slowly build up the distance, and don't go out to try to do more or faster than your last run.

Cheers mate

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good luck highway you're doing so well since you first posted!! I used to run loads and following a five year hiatus have just started again (I've started again about 3 times but am determined to stick to it this time)...I've just been looking this morning through the Nike+ website at their "Walk to Run" online training coach. The link is below and you need to sign in (its free) and it does look good, if not a little glitzy.I've used it previously as I have a Nike+ for my ipod but not used the online coach before - might be useful for you?

Nike+

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I used to do that along the seafront from the pier to the marina and back, jog-run-sprint-run-jog etc.....very good for getting fit.

Look at building up stamina - running for longer - than speed. This time last year I started this Build from nought to 30 minutes in just eight weeks. Run at your own pace, walk as fast as possible and try to follow this as much as possible. However, don't worry if you need to add in extra days at a certain pace (although I would always suggest having a go at the next step), and the week 6 is a real test - you can always add in your own version at this point. However, if you can push yourself and succeed it makes it a lot easier mentally to continue whenever you feel a bit off pace.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
just looked at the links provided by you all, many thanks, already feel fitter just reading them lol

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Just take it easy to start with and try to set yourself milestones (no matter how small). I started jogging like you, between lamp posts and in the last 3 years I've been able to run 2 marathons and pulling the 30+ miles a week required to train for them. Listen to your body, if you have sore joints and muscles then wait for them to heal before going out. Invest in a good pair of running shoes by going to a decent running shop and getting them to look at your gait (basically, how your foot falls when you jog) so you can get the best shoes for your running style.

Best of luck!

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Try to run on grass when ever possible, at your weight you need all the cushioning you can get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here