Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading to extend Mad Stad

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I couldn't give a flying fig about Reading, never been to the Mad stad and unlikely ever to bother, regardless of whether they turn it into an English equivalent of the Nou Camp. Their old ground was the most unfriendly ground I have visited in over 20 years of watching live football, scummy police, braindead homophobic pondlife scum supporters. End of rant.

Addiseagull

Nov 30, 2005
reading

Fair point LB, you did your research...

However, there were still 19 seasons where Reading didn't get over 7,000 average which really does back up my point.

Oh, and most of those I remember were throughout the 70's and 80's when they struggled to get even 5,000 in Elm Park.

While we are on the subject of attendances, interesting to note that Cardiff City, sitting TOP of the championship, only managed 14,000 against Luton. Now that IS pathetic.

Bye bye. mate.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: reading

Addiseagull said:
Fair point LB, you did your research...

However, there were still 19 seasons where Reading didn't get over 7,000 average which really does back up my point.

It didn't require any research in order to ascertain that you didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

How on earth did the figures I produced back up your point? You suggested that Reading had NEVER got crowds above 6 to 7,000 on a regular basis while they were at Elm Park. I revealed that Reading had in fact got an average attendance above 7,000 during no less than FORTY FIVE seasons at their old ground. Face facts: you didn't have a point. You were talking bollocks.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I wasn't talking about Brighton. I was suggesting that people on here were saying Reading had reached 'the peak of their game' a few years ago. You must remember Brighton fans saying Reading would never fill the Majedski? Since then they have filled the Majedski and they've moved onwards and upwards. Who's to say they can't continue to progress?

Because Reading are terminally limited by their potential fan base.

Who, outside of Reading, is ever going to support them?, They are never going to garner support from the wider population, can anybody seriously see a kid in any other part of the UK thinking...yeah, Reading, now that is glamour!?

It's the same reason that Wigan and Bolton will never be among the true giants because they are bordered by Liverpool and Manchester, and will lose support back to the big clubs there if things go into decline.

Many of Readings bandwagon supporters will tranfer their loyalty back to Chelsea or Arsenal as soon as things start to go wrong.

Sad I know, but thems the breaks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sadly I think TLB is right - he's made a monkey out of many of us in the past, usually on this very issue.

But the fact is, Reading are a very similar club to ourselves. Sure they've had some shit gates historically (but not as bad as some people think it seems) but when top flight football comes there way, the locals can't get enough of it. We were getting 27,000-30,000 from the mid seventies onwards as Bamber's money bankrolled us through the divisions into the top flight - but our gates have been shit at times. I remember we got appalling crowds all through the 90s. That season we got the top flight play-off final we struggled to get 10,000!

Still, I'm jealous of Reading and I still resent them after that season we THRASHED them and yet they came out on telly saying they were "the best side in the division" and all that bollocks.

It could have all been so different - if only Brentford had held onto their 1-0 league in that last game of the season. Maybe Reading would still be league one bumbling around in front of 8,000 fans waving their pants :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here