Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Relegated, I'm so happy

It's interesting how we both had more fans at our 0-0 in Division 2 in March 2002, than we had at that game. You took 4000 to that, and about 2,500 to the 5-1, and the total was 22,000 for the div 2 game, and 19,000 for the Championship one.

Looks like we both had more fans there when we were technically 'shitter'

That 22,000 was higher than all Seria B and equivalents leagues around Europe that weekend

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's interesting how we both had more fans at our 0-0 in Division 2 in March 2002, than we had at that game. You took 4000 to that, and about 2,500 to the 5-1, and the total was 22,000 for the div 2 game, and 19,000 for the Championship one.

Looks like we both had more fans there when we were technically 'shitter'

Fair enough. I not having a pop at u personally and yeh u did deserve to get to the prem with the team u had etc etc but i am very bitter that u took all our target players in that period...

I'm sure you've been there through the shit times - but it's the others. I'm sure we will have a section of them when we get Falmer at first but a lot would be old Goldstone returnees as well...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Pardew = tosser, you can't blame the fans or the club for that.

Obviously Coppell was going to move to a club with a Championship/ Premiership future,

obviously Coppell was going to target players he knew could do the businesses and on Readings probably low (relative) monies,

and of course we thrashed Reading at our Place 3-1 and that score underestimated the thrashing, boy were they outclassed,

22 points from 8 games before that game, rolling to the League title and then we took them apart.

Must be one of the best ever (everything considering) games I had ever seen let alone at Withdean.

LC

That was a great night. All three goals were awesome (goal of the season contender) especially the Melton lob.

What is with this concept of "Where a team belongs?"

Do Wolves belong at the top of the Premiership because they were good in the 1950s, and do Preston deserve a Premiership spot too?

Assumedly Milton Keynes Dons should be there too, as their previous incarnation as Wimbledon saw out a large proportion of their existence.

What is the issue with progress?

Wigan obviously belongs in the s*** because that where they were for the vast majority of their existence, I mean Wigan is a Rubby League town, they play with funny shaped balls up there!

A lot of Elm Park regulars don't go any more because the club banned them - they don't fit in with the brand Reading FC are trying to be.
A lot also don't go because it's just not the same, and I think a lot of Goldstone regulars won't suddenly turn on the passion again.
You could well be the 'new Reading' in 5 years time, and good luck to you. But don't go moaning about lack of atmosphere and plastic fans, because progess costs tradition.

I think you're right. Football has changed and I also think that a lot of the old Goldstone regulars won't be turning up at Falmer (until there's a big game). They've got out of the habit of going and it will take something monumental to entice them back-it won't be ticket pricing that's for sure. At the moment they have a ready-made excuse: f***ing Withdean. Shithole. Wet, Cold, etc., etc.

Hope I'm wrong on that though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact that Reading ever got into the Premiership gives clubs like the Albion hope for the future.

He may be a twat but Madejski has done a great job for the club and the town. They had a healthy springling of English players, a realistic manager, the football was OK but the squad was definitely in the bottom 3 of the division.

Coppell, Jewell and McLeish - 3 distinguished managers all likely to ply their trade in the Championship. Amazing.

I remember my first adult price at Goldstone 75p, previosly it had been 35 p.

Thats why we did 20,000 plus gates.

What will I be paying at Falmer with my 2 boys and girl?

having lived in reading whilst at university - i am so glad they have gone down.

shut all the pricks around here up, 'cheering' on readings success. half of them cant even name their old stadium. show up when your winning....

wonder how many will renew their season tickets now....

that'll be the sort of fan we are trying to attract to falmer?

The fact that Reading ever got into the Premiership gives clubs like the Albion hope for the future.

He may be a twat but Madejski has done a great job for the club and the town. They had a healthy springling of English players, a realistic manager, the football was OK but the squad was definitely in the bottom 3 of the division.

Coppell, Jewell and McLeish - 3 distinguished managers all likely to ply their trade in the Championship. Amazing.

All the managers at the bottom yesterday, including and particulary Hodgson were proud, dignified, realistic, fair, supportive of the others a great testamount to good managers, lets not forget all British including 3 English managers who believe in British football.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
This year the football most certainly wasn't ok. It was shit.

Last year it was brilliant - Somebody, can't remember who (maybe Ian Wright) said that there were only 3 teams he'd pay money to watch, and they were Arsenal, United and Reading... don't think he'll be saying that for a long time...

He won't be saying it on the BBC, that's for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here