Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Relegated, I'm so happy

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Crikey, Stoke are already down :rolleyes: must have missed that.

So, a few years ago there was no chance of Wigan sustaining Premier League football, they are still there, and Reading were written off in their first season, but stayed up. But now we can catergorically state that Stoke are down, golly, you are a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

I think Stoke are down already as well. Unless of course they change their manager, then they may stand a slim chance.

A Tony Pullis team cannot survive in the premiership with the football he gets his teams to play.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Crikey, Stoke are already down :rolleyes: must have missed that.

So, a few years ago there was no chance of Wigan sustaining Premier League football, they are still there, and Reading were written off in their first season, but stayed up. But now we can catergorically state that Stoke are down, golly, you are a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

Well Mr Patronising it goes something like this. Stoke are a physical, long ball team who typically do not fare well in the Premiership. Underrated teams that stay up tend to be those who have good attacks such as Reading and Wigan who have over performed in recent years. Stoke don’t fit into that category.

Match Stoke man for man versus Birmingham and they don’t have many that would get in the team (Fuller possibly) and they went down on 35 points. Unless a major spending spree occurs I can’t see how they will stay up. In fact, I wouldn’t bet on them getting more than 20 points next season at present.

just don't get this hatred,

how does anyone think we are going to get near the Premiership?

It will take buckers of cash - so we won't be different to Reading,
It will need a new ground - same as Reading,
It will need new supports - same as Reading
It will need Steve Coppell - same as Reading

The more new blood into the Premiership, the better, lets get rid of the vested interests of the "established" no hope's in the Premiership, b4 all football in England is destroyed.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I don't understand this thread either. I actually quite like Reading. Coppell is a rare thing - a very good manager who has a brain; they have a lovely bowl shaped stadium and are a fine example of how a " smaller " club can be transformed with sound management - on and off the pitch. Yesterday's relegation aside, they are an excellent role model for us. I'd have much preferred Bolton to go.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't understand this thread either. I actually quite like Reading. Coppell is a rare thing - a very good manager who has a brain; they have a lovely bowl shaped stadium and are a fine example of how a " smaller " club can be transformed with sound management - on and off the pitch. Yesterday's relegation aside, they are an excellent role model for us. I'd have much preferred Bolton to go.

Agreed. I would imagine that much of this Reading hatred is levelled more at the fans than the club itself.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thanks f*** those plastic shit twats are down - esp after they thought they were it last season. POACHING fuckers - Coppell, Ingarmarson, Sidwell, Brooker...

Just stole the players from us - BASTARDS

The best qutoe was that RoyalAli on here during their champ season - 'we've just sold 5000 half season tickets...' Ha ha ha - Half season tickets - fairweathered plastic MUPPETS

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't tell me you wouldn't do the same when you're in Falmer ;)

No - i'd just get a season ticket if i wanted one and wouldnt boast about 5,000 glory hunters...

I do like coppell though

The more new blood into the Premiership, the better, lets get rid of the vested interests of the "established" no hope's in the Premiership, b4 all football in England is destroyed.

That's how I feel about it too-watching the way Reading have risen from Elm Park to the Premiershite in a relatively fast manner has made me very envious.

I think things may be about to change at The Albion and DK has done fantastically well to win us 3 promotions considering where we're based. He knows (as we all do too) that he does not have the funds to bankroll us into the Prem-what he has had is the resolve to ensure there was a club still around that one day will be fighting for a place in the top flight again.

No matter what your personal feelings are for Madjeski-he has delivered on a big scale to reading fans.

Reading
Fulham
Middlesborough
Wigan
Bolton

What do ANY of them bring to the Premier League?

Proof that the universe doesn't revolve around a select few clubs at the top with an army of 'fans' who have never seen a live match.

The more 'manky little clubs' in the Premiershite-the better. Gives us all hope.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure you all knew I'd poke my head round the door to see what you had to say, and to be honest, it's no different to what I was expecting.

I hope that fans of other clubs don't treat you with such disdain when you experience such astronomical growth when you move into Falmer.

Bring on the Championship, it'll be cheaper and less full of ****s.

Yes it will constantly be less full of ****s cos half your fans will have f***ed off - the fair weathered skum

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So, if we get promoted to the Premiership in 4 or 5 years, will the 18 or 19 thousand fans who attend every week in addition to those of us who do now all be plastic fans???

Most of them will be old skool fans from the Goldstone days so no! A small portion will be. But that won't be me or you or anyone who attends league 1 or old div 3 matches regularly...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Personally, it has nothing to do with any of that as Wigan are the same and I have nothing against them. My problems with Reading stem from the arrogance they showed when Pardew said they were the rightful Division 2 champions the year that we won it.

Since then they went through a stage of signing/trying to sign what seemed like all our targets and then last time we went there they took great pleasure in rubbing in Charlie Oatway's own goal with their "and the first goal for Reading is scored by Brighton".

In case any Reading fans tell me to get over it, last time we went there they were still booing Mark McGhee about 10 years after he left them.

Man U
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal

Killing British football. whilst the glory in their millions, is it half of all League clubs are in debt and how many have or going into administration.?

I hope Reading go back up and agrue for all clubs than our football being destoyed in the interests of a few.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Personally, it has nothing to do with any of that as Wigan are the same and I have nothing against them. My problems with Reading stem from the arrogance they showed when Pardew said they were the rightful Division 2 champions the year that we won it.

Since then they went through a stage of signing/trying to sign what seemed like all our targets and then last time we went there they took great pleasure in rubbing in Charlie Oatway's own goal with their "and the first goal for Reading is scored by Brighton".

In case any Reading fans tell me to get over it, last time we went there they were still booing Mark McGhee about 10 years after he left them.

Wasthat when we lost 5 - 1 or something? I dont remember them announcing that as Brighton but that's a PROPER ****ish typical Berkshire Reading thing to do int it. That game was quality though - 5 - 1 down or whatever and all you can here is Albion singing 'Where were you when you were shit!' !!! QUALITY...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fulham give you a cracking away day.

I'm not going to try and justify our place for the last two seasons (because it will fall on deaf ears), and I can't think of anything for Boro, Bolton and Wigan.

I cannot understand anyone questioning your right to be in the Premiership over the last two years. You were by far the best team in the Championship and last year you had a really good season.

It is funny, a few years ago a lot of teams got relegated in their first season but now there does seem to be more teams surviving the first year comfortably and then struggling/going down the second year. Do you think it is much harder the second year when teams have worked you out?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Wasthat when we lost 5 - 1 or something? I dont remember them announcing that as Brighton but that's a PROPER ****ish typical Berkshire Reading thing to do int it. That game was quality though - 5 - 1 down or whatever and all you can here is Albion singing 'Where were you when you were shit!' !!! QUALITY...

It was the 5-1. I am sure for Charlie's own goal that is what was announced. Then Kitson dived twice in a minute to get Gary Elphick sent off and win a penalty. Not a great day football wise although crowd was great.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting how we both had more fans at our 0-0 in Division 2 in March 2002, than we had at that game. You took 4000 to that, and about 2,500 to the 5-1, and the total was 22,000 for the div 2 game, and 19,000 for the Championship one.

Looks like we both had more fans there when we were technically 'shitter'

At the 0-0 we only had around 2000 in the away section as that was all the tickets Reading were willing to allow us.

Pardew = tosser, you can't blame the fans or the club for that.

Obviously Coppell was going to move to a club with a Championship/ Premiership future,

obviously Coppell was going to target players he knew could do the businesses and on Readings probably low (relative) monies,

and of course we thrashed Reading at our Place 3-1 and that score underestimated the thrashing, boy were they outclassed,

22 points from 8 games before that game, rolling to the League title and then we took them apart.

Must be one of the best ever (everything considering) games I had ever seen let alone at Withdean.

LC

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
having lived in reading whilst at university - i am so glad they have gone down.

shut all the pricks around here up, 'cheering' on readings success. half of them cant even name their old stadium. show up when your winning....

wonder how many will renew their season tickets now....
I was at uni in Reading in the mid 80s. Went to Elm Park a few times on the cheap, but could never really bring myself to support them. In the end I used to go and stand with the away fans as at least they usually brought a bit of laughter and atmosphere to a pretty drab and dismal ground.

After watching the likes of Trevor Senior chasing frequent long balls in font of 5000 mainly comatose fans it still seems strange to me to see Reading (1) in the premier league (2) in a big new ground and (3) even having a good go at fillling said ground. I think they're moving back towards where they belong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here