Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ray Clemence RIP

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Saw him play against us at The Goldstone for Scunthorpe. He kept the score in single figures. Heroic display! Next thing I knew, he'd signed for Liverpool. The rest is history..................

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Great keeper, very sad news. In goal for Liverpool on my 1st Albion game in 1979.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
RIP Ray, He was the Dogs danglies in goal .
Keepers were a diffferent breed back then

j9u82d4p9t2z.jpg

rayc.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
One of my favourite players as a child, had a thing about playing in goal (throwing a tennis ball against the wall and diving to 'save' it on my bed) and for some reason never warmed to Shilton.

RIP Ray.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

One of my favourite players as a child, had a thing about playing in goal (throwing a tennis ball against the wall and diving to 'save' it on my bed) and for some reason never warmed to Shilton.

RIP Ray.

Me too! I was always "Team Clemence" in the great England GK debate of the late '70s! Sad day, and gone too soon.. another stark reminder for us gents, of a certain age in particular, to get the prostate checked regularly.. RIP Ray..

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
I met him once at a golf/celeb day. He was very grumpy and I found out he was losing money to Bruce Grobelaar so understandable.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Idolised him as a kid, remember hearing he’d transferred to Spurs on the radio whilst sat in my Dads car. I was absolutely heartbroken. RIP Ray and thanks for some wonderful memories.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

RIP Ray.

Blimey, me you and Eric Youngs CL appear to have trained as goalies in the same way! I can still hear mum telling me off “you’ll break that bed” but as all good kids do I ignored her. Especially when it was too wet to play outside! Happy days :)

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
RIP big Clem.
Absolute gentleman who suffered greatly in his final years now at peace.
A true Red legend.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Idolised him as a kid, remember hearing he’d transferred to Spurs on the radio whilst sat in my Dads car. I was absolutely heartbroken. RIP Ray and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Blimey, me you and Eric Youngs CL appear to have trained as goalies in the same way! I can still hear mum telling me off “you’ll break that bed” but as all good kids do I ignored her. Especially when it was too wet to play outside! Happy days :)

I remember my grandad telling me about his transfer. I was pretty young then and didn't really get that players changed clubs. Think it was the first time I became aware of the concept.

Big shout out to my lovely nan too who would often chuck the tennis ball for me to dive and tip over the bar (curtain rail).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh man. Just heard about this. What a shame.

He was robbed of a more illustrious England career IMO as I always thought he was better than Shilts. But he just cracked on with it.

By all accounts a really nice guy as well. RIP Ray.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Memory at my age plays tricks. I therefore am not sure if I saw him play for Scunthorpe at the Goldstone in 1966 when he was being tracked by Liverpool ?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Its also why I only could ever dive one way! my bedroom size and lay-out left me with no option!!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Great keeper, very sad news. In goal for Liverpool on my 1st Albion game in 1979.

Hey, that was mine too! Nov 10. Liverpool won 4-1.

I used to be a fan of the Ray Clemence column in Shoot magazine. Not sure how much help he had writing it but it always came across in his tone of voice and provided quite a level-headed and fascinating insight to what being a player at a top club was like.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A 15 year fight with prostate cancer, RIP Ray, one of the greats

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hey, that was mine too! Nov 10. Liverpool won 4-1.

I used to be a fan of the Ray Clemence column in Shoot magazine. Not sure how much help he had writing it but it always came across in his tone of voice and provided quite a level-headed and fascinating insight to what being a player at a top club was like.

We got bored during that game and went for a wander from the south stand into offices and other rooms under the west stand. Delinquents!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here