Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan ... what's that all about??

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just back from a couple of days in the Gulf.

It's Ramadan.

So what do the locals do?

Fast all day .... for what effing reason I am at a loss to understand. Some so-called prophet suggested it in a book? Give me strength.

Eat a big meal when the sun sets.

Eat another big meal late in the evening.

Stay out partying until the early hours ... no alcohol of course.

Come into work in the morning tired and with indigestion from over-eating.

Do F all all day ... they're lazy bastards at the best of times and use this as an excuse to do even less.

Leave work early (special Ramadan hours) ... at about 2pm.

Go home and sleep.

Get up when the sun sets.

And this goes on for a month!!!

How absolutely stupid is that?

Lent is almost equally stupid.

Who the hell with half a brain lets religion rule their lives?

Rant over.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I think that's a little bit of an exaggeration.

There are plenty of people who partake in Ramadan fully and wholeheartedly and it shows their devotion to their maker.

I think you'll find that they're not all lazy bastards either.

Oh, and you forgot the fact they pray six times a day as well.

Just saying , like......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Common as Mook said:
Oh, and you forgot the fact they pray six times a day as well.

Just saying , like......

Perhaps we as fans should try this as a pre-match ritual

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I spent a few months in the Gulf in 2004, including all but the last couple of days of Ramadan, one thing you mention is that their fasting includes not only food but liquids. Imagine how difficult it is to go from sunrise to sunset and not to eat or drink, it was hard enough to do it for the time that I spent in town, away from where I worked. I am not sure about the lazy bastards bit, the country that I spent my time in the only people who appeared to do any serious grafting were from the Asian sub-continent, working for a pittance whilst the locals lorded it up.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
goldstone said:
Just back from a couple of days in the Gulf.

It's Ramadan. So what do the locals do?

Ramadan-a-ding-dong? :shrug:

Gemini

Mar 3, 2006
So what do the locals do?

Drink all day because their mates do... Give me strength.

Eat a big mac when the sun sets.

Eat another big meal late in the evening in the all night cafe.

Stay out partying until the early hours ... .

Get to Withdean in the afternoon tired and with indigestion from over-eating the burgers & chips.

Pay £25 to watch a load of crap

Do F all all day except moan at the lack of width ... they're moany bastards at the best of times and use this as an excuse to moan even more.

Leave the game early (special P&R hours) ... at about 4:35pm.

Get the Park & ride, Go home and sleep.

Get up when the sun sets.

And this goes on for a whole season

How absolutely stupid is that?

Lent is almost equally stupid.

Who the hell with half a brain lets football rule their lives?

:p

Beach Hut said:
Perhaps we as fans should try this as a pre-match ritual

Not a good idea-I don't think my stomach is strong enough to face East and bend over to pray: I sit much too near some very large people at Withdean:eek: :eek:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You could say that chavvy white children who hang around the streets scowling at old people and generally contributing nothing to the society that they will spend a lifetime sponging off aren't doing the white community any good either...but you didn't.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

Juan Albion said:
Who with half a brain passes judgment on something he obviously knows nothing about?

It's not passing judgement, it's an opinion.

I've lived in the Gulf and now visit once a month so I probably know a bit more about the region and its lifestyle than you do.

Thank you.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

goldstone said:
It's not passing judgement, it's an opinion.

I've lived in the Gulf and now visit once a month so I probably know a bit more about the region and its lifestyle than you do.

Thank you.

So you said "How absolutely stupid is that?" and then insist you haven't passed judgement. Doh! :jester: :dunce:

And just because you've been there, you clearly still have no idea what is all about or you wouldn't be asking "what's that all about?" in the first place would you? :dunce:

And, yeah, I doubt you know much more about it than I do since I have two degrees in religious studies and theology. And of course you also managed to slag off Lent at the same time. Perhaps, since you are so knowledgeable you would like to tell us what you understand Lent to be about - I could do with a laugh.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

Juan Albion said:

And, yeah, I doubt you know much more about it than I do since I have two degrees in religious studies and theology. And of course you also managed to slag off Lent at the same time. Perhaps, since you are so knowledgeable you would like to tell us what you understand Lent to be about - I could do with a laugh.

Two degrees in religious studies .... wow!

From what I recall religious studies is a bit like media studies ... for those who can't handle a real degree?

Now, as for Lent ..... well, lets start off by agreeing that man created god, not the other way around ....

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

goldstone said:

From what I recall religious studies is a bit like media studies ... for those who can't handle a real degree?

You just lost that argument in one fowl swoop.

US Seagull said:
Why not try and educate yourself first?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

No ask yourself if it's really any more silly than Christmas, Easter, any of the Jewish holidays or any other religious holidays for that matter. They're all a bit strange really.

Good post.
I would like to observe ALL religious days, then I can spend practically the whole year off work. Friday evenings and Saturdays would be the most lazy, as I wouldn't be able to pick anything up or even flinch to turn a light switch according to Judaism!

It is though, completely rediculious when one religious person or group criticizes another, as they are all pots and kettles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here