Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan ... what's that all about??

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

Common as Mook said:
You just lost that argument in one fowl swoop.

one fell swoop

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

goldstone said:
Two degrees in religious studies .... wow!

From what I recall religious studies is a bit like media studies ... for those who can't handle a real degree?

Well now, let me see. One was an honours degree from London University and the other was a four year Masters at one of this country's leading universities (not many subjects take four years to complete a Masters - that's full time mind you, with intensive summer courses thrown in as an extra.) Not too bad for someone with only half a brain.

Out of interest, have you ever opened a book on hermeneutic spirals or systematic theology? I wouldn't if I were you, you might find the words a bit long. . .

But maybe you are right. Maybe it really is a piece of cake. So how come you have to start a thread entitled "What's that all about"? Where exactly does that place YOU on the evolutionary ladder then?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for your understanding of the significance of Lent. I mean, you do know, don't you? After all, you've declared it to be almost as stupid as Ramadan. Hang on a minute, though, you have already told us you don't understand what Ramadan is all about, so how can you compare Lent to it? Has someone else maybe borrowed the brain cell for a couple of days?

Still, thanks muchly for illustrating once again that it is some of the irreligious on here who are the real ignorant bigots. That's not a judgement on you, though, merely a opinion, so I hope that's okay.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
US Seagull said:
No ask yourself if it's really any more silly than Christmas, Easter, any of the Jewish holidays or any other religious holidays for that matter. They're all a bit strange really. [/B]

Totally agree.

As I said earlier, Man created god.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone else getting the feeling goldstone may have bitten off more than he can chew here ?

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Juan Albion said:

Still, thanks muchly for illustrating once again that it is some of the irreligious on here who are the real ignorant bigots. .

It's quite rare to see a sentence with so many words starting with the letter i, in my experience.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Juan Albion said:
Out of interest, have you ever opened a book on hermeneutic spirals or systematic theology? I wouldn't if I were you, you might find the words a bit long.

Actually, no I haven't, but then I've always figured that there's no point in trying to impress people with long words when short ones get the same job done much more effectively.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for your understanding of the significance of Lent. I mean, you do know, don't you? After all, you've declared it to be almost as stupid as Ramadan. Hang on a minute, though, you have already told us you don't understand what Ramadan is all about, so how can you compare Lent to it? Has someone else maybe borrowed the brain cell for a couple of days?

Lent, like Ramadan, was invented by a group of people who follow the writings of a so-called prophet. At the risk of repeating myself, Man created god and it follows that man therefore also created both lent and ramadan. (But I guess as the owner of two very impressive degrees you already know that).

Still, thanks muchly for illustrating once again that it is some of the irreligious on here who are the real ignorant bigots. That's not a judgement on you, though, merely a opinion, so I hope that's okay. [/B]

Not sure you can accuse the irreligious of being ignorant bigots. In my case I just don't believe the fairy tales of the religious.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's quite rare to see a sentence with so many words starting with the letter i, in my experience.

It is indisputably true, and it's indefensible to imply otherwise -that is my insincere and ill-considered input.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ramadan ... what's that all about??

Trufflehound said:
Now you're talking turkey.

Say that to my face you big chicken.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I suppose it would be a shock for some people here to realise that Brighton has Muslim supporters....

I'm in my second week of fasting for Ramadan. I've been to work every day and worked a full day every day. I have not worked less nor have I felt ill enough to need a rest. In fact my colleagues notice absolutely no difference in my behaviour... except that I don't have a huge sandwich at my desk at lunchtime ;)

You cannot eat big meals in the morning or the evening because your stomach shrinks when you're afsting. If people are eating big meals it means that

a) they always eat big meals

or b) they are doing themselves some serious harm.

The point of ramadhan is that for thirty days and nights all humans are equal. No matter from where you come from you remember what it is like to feel hungry and thirsty... just like so many people have to feel throughout the year. the idea is that as we remember we will then be more sympathetic to those who are less well off us than us. Which is why at the end of Ramadhan all Muslims also pay a tax which goes directly to looking after the poor and needy.

Please don't judge the book by the cover and do not judge all Muslims by the lazy fat ones. There are bad people in all religions.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
I suppose it would be a shock for some people here to realise that Brighton has Muslim supporters....

I'm in my second week of fasting for Ramadan. I've been to work every day and worked a full day every day. I have not worked less nor have I felt ill enough to need a rest. In fact my colleagues notice absolutely no difference in my behaviour... except that I don't have a huge sandwich at my desk at lunchtime ;)

You cannot eat big meals in the morning or the evening because your stomach shrinks when you're afsting. If people are eating big meals it means that

a) they always eat big meals

or b) they are doing themselves some serious harm.

The point of ramadhan is that for thirty days and nights all humans are equal. No matter from where you come from you remember what it is like to feel hungry and thirsty... just like so many people have to feel throughout the year. the idea is that as we remember we will then be more sympathetic to those who are less well off us than us. Which is why at the end of Ramadhan all Muslims also pay a tax which goes directly to looking after the poor and needy.

Please don't judge the book by the cover and do not judge all Muslims by the lazy fat ones. There are bad people in all religions.

As a man from Muslim origins, I couldn't have put it better myself. Spot on. :clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good post Sully. I have noticed from previous religious debates on here that all the dogma, abuse and bigotry is invariably spouted by the atheists. Looks like this thread is no different.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Brovian said:
Good post Sully. I have noticed from previous religious debates on here that all the dogma, abuse and bigotry is invariably spouted by the atheists. Looks like this thread is no different.

Not all atheists are bigots though, there are people who understand religion, but choose not to believe in it. I'm an atheist, and dont subject anyone else to "dogma, abuse and bigotry" just because they believe in something that i dont.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Not all atheists are bigots though, there are people who understand religion, but choose not to believe in it. I'm an atheist, and dont subject anyone else to "dogma, abuse and bigotry" just because they believe in something that i dont.
No, I didn't say you, personally, did. However Atheists outnumber Believers on here and it doesn't take long for any religious thread to bring out all the "simpletons believing in imaginary friends" type posts - and they're the polite ones!

Brovian said:

There's another attempt to generalise people by their belief. Now it's atheists who are bigoted racists!

I'm glad I'm not an atheist, or a member of any religious group, so I can avoid being generalized.

'Happy to be a bigot unto mine own self :bigwave:

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
This thread is disgusting.

Everyone should know by now that only Juan Albion is allowed to comment on Religion on account of his extensive study of middle eastern myths. I mean 4 years on a masters degree you can't argue with that.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:
This thread is disgusting.

Everyone should know by now that only Juan Albion is allowed to comment on Religion on account of his extensive study of middle eastern myths. I mean 4 years on a masters degree you can't argue with that.

What has four years study and a masters done for him? Is he planning to be the next pope??

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
goldstone said:
What has four years study and a masters done for him? Is he planning to be the next pope??

Its his vocation, not just his job, you might not agree with him but he speaks far more knowledgeably than most on the subject.

Don't knock his beliefs just because they aren't yours, there's plenty of things I don't agree with but far be it from me to make some of the asinine remarks made on this thread. I thank all religion is questionable but that's just my opinion and I don't speak for anybody else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here