Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Rachel Reeves to reveal £20bn shortfall left by Conservative Government

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone know of a good firm local to Brighton for IHT advise and will writing at reasonable rate
For the will part just use any charity of your choice and they will introduce you to a solicitor who will draw up the will ( assuming it's a simple one ) for free as long as you put a donation in your will.

IHT wise, I used Moore Kingston Smith in Redhill who happen to have a famous Albion fan as an employee.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We won't be raising taxes for working people.

So higher taxes coming for others on 30th October, I just wonder how much poorer I will be on 1 November.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Amongst other things the winter fuel payments to pensioners to be means tested and the A27 Arundel bypass has been scrapped.
This I agree with, my mother and stepfather automatically got winter fuel payments, they did not need them, as stepfather had state pension and a private pension. and although not "rolling in money" certainlt didnt need to think about heating costs. There must be 100s of thousands in the same position, surely better to give the money to those who need it, than to everyone regardless of circumstance

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I guess we have to agree to disagree then.
Not a big deal; ideological difference.
Work hard all life, pay taxes all life. Pay off house, which means my house now belongs to me, as I paid for it, which was bought with paying tax to buy house.
Now, when I die, I want to give my whole house that I own and have paid for over 30 years legally, to my children I have to give some of that house worth to the state.
All of my house worth, should go to who I want it to go. It is my house, bought and paid for, by me.
Not the states right to take a slice.
I suspect that your house has gone up in value since you bought it 30 years ago. Which is little to do with you working hard. So - how about the amount you paid for it index-linked for inflation, gets left to your children. That reflects the 'worked hard for it' aspect.

The rest of the increase, which is down to market forces can go for tax.

Deal?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
UK committed to this in 2019, Sunak and co wanted to undo it. Those with the biggest carbon deficits need to step up

Have China, India, Russia and Iran stepped up then? We're down in 17th on the league table. That 11bn would be better spent at home, unless you think your taxes are too low already and are happy to pay into the WEF to 'fight climate'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I suspect that your house has gone up in value since you bought it 30 years ago. Which is little to do with you working hard. So - how about the amount you paid for it index-linked for inflation, gets left to your children. That reflects the 'worked hard for it' aspect.

Deal?
That’s why it’s called Capital GAINS Tax.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This I agree with, my mother and stepfather automatically got winter fuel payments, they did not need them, as stepfather had state pension and a private pension. and although not "rolling in money" certainlt didnt need to think about heating costs. There must be 100s of thousands in the same position, surely better to give the money to those who need it, than to everyone regardless of circumstance
My mother was the same and I will be in the same situation next year. I don't need the payment . Sensible measure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Amongst other things the winter fuel payments to pensioners to be means tested and the A27 Arundel bypass has been scrapped.
spotted this earlier - saving from this going to meet commitment to fund pothole fixing. not really a shortfall, shifting off one budget to pay for something else. i'm sure the good people of Arundel will be quite happy they sacrificed their road for national good.

fascinating to see some of the breakdown, like rail improvements i bet no one realised were even going to happen. main event is £9.4bn additional spending for public sector pay. i'm sure they all deserve this, it's new spending though.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The windfall tax on oil and gas producers will come in handy as the loopholes will be removed and they will have to pay their full whack.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Deal?
What about any value you’ve added to the property by investing your hard earned money?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
spotted this earlier - saving from this going to meet commitment to fund pothole fixing. not really a shortfall, shifting off one budget to pay for something else. i'm sure the good people of Arundel will be quite happy they sacrificed their road for national good.
Do you think the fact that Arundel STILL has a Tory MP and the Lib Dems were second played any part in the decision about which road projects to shelve? Shirley not.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Winter Fuel payments change makes full sense. OAP's not on welfare should never have had it in the first place. People sitting pretty financially like my parents shouldn't receive this.
Agreed. Although I will say that there maybe a few charities worse off now - my parents donated their WFA to Brighton Lions Club.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I hope Reeves will have a lie detector fitted to her as she dishes out the forthcoming BS.
Anyone that thought the Tories were dishonest, perhaps you should start viewing it in a neutral way in the early days of labour reign.
Take this with as big of a pinch of salt as you want.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
How about the Government save £28,000,000 on this bollox for a start….

Already been awarded. Also this bollox wont cost £28 million, but will be funded from a pot of £28 million awarded in 2022 by the Tory Government.

The council said it was awarded £28 million in government funding from the Department for Transport in 2022 for the Bus Service Improvement Plan, which will fund these changes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here