Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Rachel Reeves to reveal £20bn shortfall left by Conservative Government

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Starmer is a paid up member of the World Economic Forum/ Davos/ New World Order call it what you will.
He will do what they tell him.
Not to mention the Illuminati.

Oh bugger, I've gone and mentioned them :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And if they do, then the state should step in, using funds collected from things like IHT
Mmmmm.....the very idea, in the situation I'm thinking about, is absurd. But its a private matter so I'll leave it there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brilliant idea
Tax them more and they take their wealth creation somewhere else.
Genius
Is there any meaningful evidence of this? There’s numerous countries with higher personal and corporation tax than the UK which don’t have an exodus of people and companies.

Hungary has Corp tax of just 9%….why don’t all businesses moving there?

Sweden, Denmark and Norway some of the highest personal tax. Most seem happy to stay put in a country where most things work.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Is it reasonable for Labour to say that the financial black hole is bigger than they thought?

Should/could they have understood these issues, or did the Tories play smoke and mirrors when in Government?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is it reasonable for Labour to say that the financial black hole is bigger than they thought?

Should/could they have understood these issues, or did the Tories play smoke and mirrors when in Government?
it looks like a bit of both, however there is the OBR that said the budget was OK, so Reeves is basically saying they were wrong. some unspoken planned cuts to service or infrastructure, anything bit controversial will be shelved conveniently. the largest chunk looks like pay increases, 2.5% budgeted for but expected Labour will go for a higher settlement. on the one hand budget hole, on the other hand an increase to spending.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
it looks like a bit of both, however there is the OBR that said the budget was OK, so Reeves is basically saying they were wrong. some unspoken planned cuts to service or infrastructure, anything bit controversial will be shelved conveniently. the largest chunk looks like pay increases, 2.5% budgeted for but expected Labour will go for a higher settlement. on the one hand budget hole, on the other hand an increase to spending.
Sounds like there will be some documentation/analysis published later detailing the sums...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is there any meaningful evidence of this? There’s numerous countries with higher personal and corporation tax than the UK which don’t have an exodus of people and companies.

Hungary has Corp tax of just 9%….why don’t all businesses moving there?

Sweden, Denmark and Norway some of the highest personal tax. Most seem happy to stay put in a country where most things work.

Sweden and Finland lowered their CT rates to encourage and keep big business. At 20.6% and 20% now far lower than the UK’s 25%.

Reactions: cjd

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sweden and Finland lowered their CT rates to encourage and keep big business. At 20.6% and 20% now far lower than the UK’s 25%.
Fair point, I had not realised this. Just took a look at the rest of Sweden's taxes. Social security for companies is pretty high, 31% . Cheap to HQ in Sweden but very costly to employ and operate in the country. Or have I misunderstood this? What's the rate in the UK?

Personal tax is through the roof. I had a Swedish client for a while and all their staff I worked with took 4 weeks holiday in the summer and most had boats and one owned a plane! All this whilst over paying 50% income tax.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1722238490647.png

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

IFS made it abundantly clear that all parties fiscal projections were too short.
Tories most culpable because they had closest access to the books

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going to get shafted on capital gains

Rates upped to marginal IT rates of 40% and 45% for higher and additional rate taxpayers. Seems fair imho. Plus a move that will end the tax planning where some income can be retained, to later be taxed at much lower CGT rates.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Going to get shafted on capital gains
Equalisation of earned and unearned income is long overdue. Current system is so unfair, even more so after the recent CGT cut.

Finally I think we are going to see some proper levelling up, not just confined to some bullshit pork barrelling in red wall seats.

If I was Labour I'd do all in on CGT, IHT, upper rate pension tax relief and maybe some wealth tax on the super rich. It won't be popular with some but do it now early in the term. Pension tax relief needs to be favoured toward investment in UK assets, our home market is oversold and vulnerable to overseas M&A.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brilliant idea
Tax them more and they take their wealth creation somewhere else.
Genius
If you really value this country, understand what it has to offer in terms of skills and expertise, there is no need to undercut everyone else if your product is good.

The idea that the wealth creators will just depart is ludicrous given we are the engine that creates the wealth in the first place.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Labour say the Tories played smoke and mirrors. Labour say it was deliberate subterfuge. That's what I heard on the radio last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here