Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting smoking

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can anyone help me quit the cigs? ive tried hypnosis, patches and gum nothing seems to work.

any advice from an ex smoker is very welcome

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Give me an axe and I will chop off your fingers mate. :p :lolol:

Can't help you as I never smoked but good luck and if you want to quit you will

Last edited:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I smoked for 16 years,25 per day.I have been smoke free for 18 months now.I went the cold turkey way(3rd time)Gave up booze(pubs)banned smoking in my house car etc.I joined a quit smoking messageboard which was intresting and helpfull.Everyone posted there daily feelings,bit like a diary.I chewed through mountains of gum for about 6-8 months.

Last edited:

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
try smoking a cigar when u get desperate.

Or..

chew on a piece of wood! Worked for me partly I think cos I felt like a right twat doing it..

or..

smoke about 100 ciggies in one day. Hopefully you'll feel totally sick the next day and realise how disgusting it is.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I smoked for 26 years and have been free for 14 years now.
If you really really want to quit you will. You will feel better, be better off and look better too.

Just decide a date and go for it. Don't bother with gum, patches etc unless you find it completely intolerable but you can do it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You'll only be able to quit when you REALLY want to. Until then-keep smoking.

When you really are ready to quit it'll be easier than you imagine and you won't need any aids to help although I did use patches for 2 days ( 2 patches).

Voice of experience-went from 40+ Marlboro Reds a day 4 and a half years ago to being totally allergic to tobacco smoke.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:
I smoked for 26 years and have been free for 14 years now.
If you really really want to quit you will. You will feel better, be better off and look better too.

Just decide a date and go for it. Don't bother with gum, patches etc unless you find it completely intolerable but you can do it.

Damn you and your faster typing:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bwian said:
Damn you and your faster typing:lolol:

:eek: :lolol:

Just goes to show that is the right method though.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Different people will give you different methods, what you need to do is find one that suits you. I gave up 17 years ago after 10 years smoking. I found that the essential ingredient is the will to see it through - you have to want to do it and be determined to quit, not just say it.

I basically cut down before I gave up, I stopped having them in the morning as well as not smoking during breaks at work. After about a week I was down to about two a day and found it easier to get over the first week without smoking. If you're smoking heavily now it may be an easier way than just stopping full stop.

The first week is hardest and the biggest test will be when you go out on the razzle, I knew I was successful when I was able to turn down an offer when completely legless. Make sure you stock up on healthy food otherwise your wasteline will expand alarmingly, after eating 5 packs of Hobnobs in two days I stocked up on bananas and yoghurts. If you get stressed buy a bike or go to the gym and rid yourself of it that way rather than the cigs.

Personally I think the patches and gum are a waste of time ad money because you're still putting nicotine into your system. If you have enough will power and determination you will see it through.

Good luck.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cheers guys my quit day is Wednesday, I have decided to so i can be healthier and have more money. i smoke 20 a day and over the peroid of a week thats an extra £35 saving -enough for a match and few beers etc, every week saving £35 - what a waste of money it is when you think about it

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Give yourself a treat with the money you will save by not smoking...............i gave up nearly 4 weeks ago (cold turkey) but now have been going to all the away games which i couldn't have afforded to do before.
I don't miss it now, and as i said, it's not even 4 weeks.
Go for it, what have you got to lose.
Best of british to ya.........:clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
surrey jim said:
Cheers guys my quit day is Wednesday, I have decided to so i can be healthier and have more money. i smoke 20 a day and over the peroid of a week thats an extra £35 saving -enough for a match and few beers etc, every week saving £35 - what a waste of money it is when you think about it

For the first 18 months I spent what used to be cig money on 'treats' for myself and nobody else. I have a load of toys now that I'd never have bought.

Make sure you treat yourself regularly for a few months-and only spend what you'd have spent on the Evil Weed:p

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cheers everyone. i know its such a waste of money, tip for yound NSCers never start its alot harder to quit than you think and its a huge waste of money at the end of the year thats enough for a season ticket and every away game (probabaly)

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
It can sometimes help to give up at the same time as someone else..............i know Pasty is trying............pm him and you may be able to help each other beat the weed together.:)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Trigger said:
Try the patches again, put one over each eye and you wont be able to find your cigarettes.

:)

Can see minor problems with that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here