Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the over 42s...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In some ways of course the question is premature - after we've got promotion to the top flight, stayed there for for years and reached an FA Cup final THEN might be the right time to make comparisons. However if we're just talking about the rise I'd say now. No, then. No wait, ..... definitely now. Maybe. Or then.

It IS hard to compare. Certainly the the vibe about the club is the same now as it was then; we're looking up rather than down, and as before a bright young local chairman has taken an inspired punt on an unproven manager. Consequently the idea of playing in the top division is no longer a fantasy. One area where the 'now' is MILES better is the stadium. The Amex would not look out of place in the premiership, whereas the Goldstone was a shitheap even in an era of shitheaps. I miss the terraces of course, but the atmosphere at the Amex, even for routine games, is much better than it ever was at the Goldstone save for those ultra-special, never-to-be-forgotten nights such as the League Cup games against Ipswich and Derby (who, for the benefit of younger readers, at that time were established top-division sides).

I'm tempted to say 'now', but the first time round I was young and it was all so exciting. What I will say is that for the first time since the original 'Glory Days' I can't wait for the next match

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Sure the stadium and team are fantastic now compared to when I started watching The Albion in '89 but those last days at the Goldstone, Hereford and even travelling to Gillingham had a wonderful comarderie about them and you almost knew everyone on the terrace, I used to see 'Kev the drum' + Karen at every game (wonder if he is he still around?) - I wouldn't have wanted to have missed those days, or what we have now wouldn't seem so fantastic, more just like being a normal championship sized club.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
This a bit like choosing your favourite parent . In my case , can't be done. Both have qualities that I realy like , but in different ways.
My first game was in April 1971. I was 10. I actually thought we were not allowed to be in the same league as Leeds or Arsenal or Manchester United . And even if we were , it was the stuff of science fiction . So as I grew older and witnessed a few promotions (and relegations) I realised on that fateful day in 1978 against Blackpool at home , if it wasn't for that pre match agreement between Spurs and Southampton at the Dell to draw the game , we actually could have entered the realms of reality and gone to the top flight . So a year later when we actually did at St James Park , it was a total mind f***.
So those years , amazing to be in the top flight , the football culture of the time , punk rock , FA Cup Final. Fantastic!!!!
Now . Amazing stadium , amazing football. highest league attendences in the Championship, great manager ..Harveys ......Still amazing !!!!!

The common demonitator between then and now is a Spurs international took us from the 3rd to the second and then the first at the second attempt. I beleive history will repeat itself come May 4 2013.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here