Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the over 42s...

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
As a 52 year old the late 1970s and early 1980s were fantastic times however right now with the stadium, Ton6 BLoom, Gus and the team he is putting together I think the best of all times are yet to come, I also think they might not be that far off

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Almost impossible to compare the two. So much has changed in the game, facilities, expectations, tactics etc etc. I loved my time at the Goldstone in the early 80's, it was very much a part of my late teenage years and early 20's. The quality of some of the players was I think a class above even the team we have now - Gary Stevens, Fozzie, Wardy were all genuine international contenders. There was a different atmosphere at the games - more robust and less stage managed. But as fans we were treated badly. I was trying to explain to my son when we were talking about the Hillsborough report what it was like to be a football fan then - herded into caged terraces, standing on crumbling concrete, hostility from the police - horrendous in many ways. Today it is all so different but I love it as much. Cannot wait for each game, enjoy the whole Amex experience, love the quality and diversity in the team.

If pushed to a make call one way or the other I would say I prefer now - and what makes the difference is I can share the experience with my son these days.

Exactly this!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ireland United

Mark Lawrenson was better player than Bobby Moore and he was English. Alas, Vicente is good but he is not as good as Liam Brady. Other than that the current side (if fit) is the best!

Willie Irvine in 71/2 was something extra. Bobby Smith I was the most sensational signing, but I did not really rate him.

PS: Gus Poyet is the best Manger but he has a touch of realism about Cup games, and I prefer chasing the glory. At least pretend?

Last edited:

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
:blush:Now - the footy was great in the 70's / early 80's - Lawro/Wardy/Spider/Nobby/Sully et al - but ffs I'm 66 now and I have a comfy seat, a roof over my head, and a pint of Harveys before the game - even if I do have to climb 99 purgatorial steps to get there!:ascarf:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
:blush:Now - the footy was great in the 70's / early 80's - Lawro/Wardy/Spider/Nobby/Sully et al - but ffs I'm 66 now and I have a comfy seat, a roof over my head, and a pint of Harveys before the game - even if I do have to climb 99 purgatorial steps to get there!:ascarf:
Top answer, and I largely agree but sometimes I do so miss the walk up from Portland Road for a night game, the smell of pipe tobacco in the East Stand and actually being physically terrified at away games. Sometimes better can be worse....but then I am a miserable old git.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Ok. Then by a country mile. The feel good factor at the moment is mainly about the stadium, fair enough. If we were still at Withdean it would still be " meh ", the football at championship level has been average from us, apart from a few great performances like last Friday but we have a long long way to go to get even close to the consistancy and team spirit we had from 1977 - 1983. I have experienced both and this time it is not even close ( at the moment ).

This.

Also, age may come into it - I was young and mad in those days, and every match was an adventure.

I also preferred the English style of football we played.

Oh, and we have had nowhere near the success yet.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think anything will really compare with being in the North Stand in the 76-79 period with Wardy and the feeling that anything was possible. It's amazing right now and all the more so because in the dark days of the mid to late 90s I never thought this would be possible, but 'then' will always have a unique magic for me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
All that sticks in my mind is Peter Ward, Alan Mullery and standing in the north stand. Oh great times plus a few run ins with Palarse fans to top it off. Oh and one thing I don't remember so clearly was Teddy Maybank I remember abusing him but why was he crap ????

Edit and know when we drew Forrest in the cup we would win even though they where top flight team.

Noldi

It always pissed me off the amount of stick Maybank got. I remember his debut against Blackburn and he was excellant - full of confidence. Slowly though the fans got to him and o.k. although he probably wasn't worth 250k at the time he was never has bad as the fans made out.
Amazing goal at Luton away.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Back in the day for me the away days were far better than now, the away support was more together than it is now the older boys looked after the younger lads if it got a bit tasty, great memories great times.

The Amex is a wonderful stadium and I enjoy taking my kids but for me there is still something missing may be it is just modern football.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Then. The pre match tension was unbearable most days. Reading programme word for word. Getting back to get the Argus for all of the Saturday scores. Talking about Match of the Day and The Big Match. Listening for our draw in the cup on the bus on the way home. Even away trips to the Dell seemed exciting. Wardy, Beamish, Lawrenson, Mellor .... the half time boards at the side of the pitch for the scores...

Needs to bring those boards back as the scores are not always up on the screen and 3g at the Amex as we all know is pitiful. Great memories from that period but although comparing eras is always difficult, was the football then better than now? Probably not but the sentiment for the match day experience then will never go. We now have a brilliant team and back room staff, playing better football week on week than we've ever seen. The kids in the family stand are witnessing a special period, no doubt.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Then, but I think that's because it reminds us of our youth. Young un's of today may well look back on this period as a great time........but let's hope we all have even better times to come.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Has to be 'then' for me as the team late 70's early 80's achieved so much more, thats not to say the current team cannot emulate this but promotion has to be achieved and then consolidation to bring them on par

Nov 20, 2003
hove
I loved the seventies and eighties Wardy was god and the Goldstone was rocking,today its the same feeling and every time I take my seat at the Amex I still cant belive its real ,Its like a dream ,heres the but ,I also have a strong love of the back to back Champs at withdean Bobby, Danny, Chippy, Michell ,Charlie it was a fantastic ride after the years of shit Archer put us through, so I really am sitting on the fence with this one ,I loved all three equally but for very different reasons

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
This ALMOST equals the exploits of the Mullers team of the late 70's.
That was raw attacking football at it's best. The class of Gus is more technically skilled but time will tell. As I walked home to my home in Milton Keynes tonigh I had this very thought but concluded I love watching the style of football we play now otherwise I wouldn't have seen 3 games in the last 8 days.
God bless the Albion

Robin Hood

Dec 4, 2011
Interesting, I remember the buzz on the Semi final day to Highbury, I was about 14 so very influenced, going up there with all the colour and feel good factor, and we won. I stood on the wall at the back of the Clock end, and then the journey home, Btn St and walking down Queens Rd, (you would think we had won it already). Then the Final, reply followed by relegation. arrrrrrr memorable. But then this new Gus team is fantastic and bringing into account the new stadium. I'd say......A Draw.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It always pissed me off the amount of stick Maybank got. I remember his debut against Blackburn and he was excellant - full of confidence. Slowly though the fans got to him and o.k. although he probably wasn't worth 250k at the time he was never has bad as the fans made out.
Amazing goal at Luton away.

1978-79

Eric Steele 7
Chris Cattlin 7
Andy Rollings 7
Mark Lawrenson* 10
Gary Williams* 8
Brian Horton* 8
Paul Clark 7
Peter O'Sullivan* 8
Gerry Ryan* 6
Teddy Maybank 5
Peter Ward* 8 (81)

Graham Moseley* 7
Ken Tiler 6
Graham Winstanley 7
Peter Sayer 6
Malcolm Poskett 6
Martin Chivers 6

Biggest win: 5-0 Cardiff C (H)
Biggest loss: 1-4 Leicester C (A)

Home
Highest Crowd: 32,634 v West Ham
Lowest Crowd: 16,691 v Orient

* players that were regulars in Division 1.

Teddy Maybank played brilliantly away at Craven Cottage, but that was the only good game he had. On that performance I could understand why we signed him.

cf. 2012

Tomasz Kuszczak 8*
Bruno Salter 8*
Adam El-Abd 7
Gordon Greer 7*
Wayne Bridge 9*
Liam Bridcutt 8*
Dean Hammond 7
Andrew Crofts 7
Vicente 8
Will Buckley 9*
Craig Maskell-Smith 7 (84)

Casper Ankergren 6
Iñigo Calderón 7
Lewis Dunk 7*
Ashley Barnes 6
Kazenga Lualua 7*
Marcos Painter 5
Gary Dicker 6

I think the team is already 4% better.

The opponents are perhaps about the same.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here