Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the over 42s...

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Very hard to call, but football was very different then for fans, and to a large extent on the pitch too.

Then: as a teenager/early 20s I loved the cameraderie, the North Stand, the golden era of Wardy, Nobby et all, and the whole matchday experience. Football was cheap and affordable for anyone who wanted to go. The distance between the players and the fans was much less.

Now: I love the Amex, the stylish football we play, Gus, the squad and the way the whole club has been reborn after all the trials and tribulations of the Belotti era and Withdean. Football is expensive. The distance between the players and the fans is much greater, particularly at Championship level.

So, some things have been lost and will never be recovered.

But other things are much better: safer stadiums, more of a family atmosphere, much less of a hoolie problem.

I couldn't compare the two but I loved the glory days - and I'm loving it now. Suspect the best is yet to come.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Ask me in 3 years time. Difficult to beat the 70's with wardy,spider, nobby - the meteoric rise to 1st division and fa cup and a 2 season spell with a season ticket in the west stand in between standing at the top of the east terrace. Away games at Palace, Charlton, Elm Park ! the den, the dell, etc . pints in the cliftonville before the game -happy days.
Now its 1901 luxury and sublime football in a fantastic stadium. If/when we make it to the Premiership in the next couple of years - and I fully expect us to - then it will be very much like the 70's in terms of football ecstasy!! I just love being a life-long Brighton fan !

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah, but he came back on loan and was playing in the cup run. Cloughie got the arse on and recalled him preventing him from seeing 82/83 season out.

Did he? I don't remember that, but he was certainly not there for the magnificent win at Anfield.....oh well, it's a long time ago to remember!

For me, the seventies / early eighties still shade it - after twenty years of being an Albion fan, mostly in the third diviion, to get to the top flight of English football was sheer nirvana. Sometimes, sports report would start......."Football League Division 1 - Brighton and Hove Albion........" and the thrill of being the first name mentioned was something else! OK, it was the best time of my life - just married, moving into our own house, my musical career was moving in the right direction (not that it ever got anywhere, but that's another story - it was exciting at the time!), and - apart from the shitty day job - life was near perfect........so I suppose I am remembering those times with all the associated things of being young.

Wardy, Lawro, Alex Dawson, Bobby Smith, Willie Irvine, Ken Beamish, Tank, Nobby, John Templeman, the Napiers........I could go on!

Now - it's great - but this team hasn't got into the top flight for four years, not yet anyway, and haven't beaten all the big teams - Liverpool, ManU, Man City, Arsenal (everyone except Chelsea, in fact).........so in my opinion we're not back there yet. But what a breathtaking journey it has been, and how great it is to feel that that buzz might be coming back again (although I'm afraid that due to age, nothing will seem quite as exciting as it was back then!)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ah, but he came back on loan and was playing in the cup run. Cloughie got the arse on and recalled him preventing him from seeing 82/83 season out.

Indeed. He scored the winner against Newcastle in the 3rd round

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
id say the 70s early 80s as well..possibly as when your younger stuff is more exciting..but this team is running it very closely and who knows what us oldies opinions will be come end of season

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Did he? I don't remember that, but he was certainly not there for the magnificent win at Anfield.....oh well, it's a long time ago to remember!

For me, the seventies / early eighties still shade it - after twenty years of being an Albion fan, mostly in the third diviion, to get to the top flight of English football was sheer nirvana. Sometimes, sports report would start......."Football League Division 1 - Brighton and Hove Albion........" and the thrill of being the first name mentioned was something else! OK, it was the best time of my life - just married, moving into our own house, my musical career was moving in the right direction (not that it ever got anywhere, but that's another story - it was exciting at the time!), and - apart from the shitty day job - life was near perfect........so I suppose I am remembering those times with all the associated things of being young.

Wardy, Lawro, Alex Dawson, Bobby Smith, Willie Irvine, Ken Beamish, Tank, Nobby, John Templeman, the Napiers........I could go on!

Now - it's great - but this team hasn't got into the top flight for four years, not yet anyway, and haven't beaten all the big teams - Liverpool, ManU, Man City, Arsenal (everyone except Chelsea, in fact).........so in my opinion we're not back there yet. But what a breathtaking journey it has been, and how great it is to feel that that buzz might be coming back again (although I'm afraid that due to age, nothing will seem quite as exciting as it was back then!)

Sorry old bean but Wardy most definitely played at Anfield.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was a cup upset. Newcastle were expected to win.

A middle top Division 2 side expected to beat a top flight side near the foot of the table? Always a tricky match for the top tier club. As Newcastle found out last season!

But this was Newcastle with a rotten cup record against Albion with an absolutely awful FA Cup record at the time.

They beat us twice the following season and got promoted with Sheffield Wednesday, who also beat us twice.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Coronation year 1953 was my first time at the Goldstone. Great memories of winning Div 3 (South) with Adrian Thorne, local hero. Then onto winning Div 4 with Bobby Smith and then the Mullery era. What a time to support the Albion. Maybe it's all a bit rose tinted by age but the atmosphere, the tension, the fear at away matches, the seagull trains. all adds to a feeling that it was the best period in our history.

But, the world has changed and football is now a different game on and off the pitch. I'm loving every minute of now at the Amex. At 70 I just hope I'm around long enough to see our potential unlocked and for this to be the best of times ever to follow the Albion.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
loving the new era of the club,but as we were discussing in the pub on sat,i do miss going to the lower league clubs.
Getting up at 4 in the morning in a knock of mini bus driving to carlisle,trips to scarborough and camping,

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Ask again in a couple of years! For now, THEN was better as we made it up and stayed there against the odds. Fantastic years supporting the club, great memories of the Seagull Special trains (wish we could get those back). We're close now and I have every confidence that we'll surpass the achievements of those years in the coming months and years.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
The thing I remember about 'then' was how the whole town was behind the team... I remember the open top bus parade through town.. it seemed like the whole town turned out to cheer. It doesnt seem to have that kind of support this time.... yet!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The thing I remember about 'then' was how the whole town was behind the team... I remember the open top bus parade through town.. it seemed like the whole town turned out to cheer. It doesnt seem to have that kind of support this time.... yet!

If we make it into the Premier League or FA Cup Final, it will be different to the response to winning League One, I'm sure.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
yeah for sure.. so I suppose at the moment its still 'then' but with the next few years looking like it could be even better!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here