Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question about supporting Fans United ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So you're agreeing now, then, that should this campaign rouse the Plymouth masses to react, then its completely worthwhile?

Sorry, just for a bit of clarity here, when I called you a boring prick, it wasn't in reference to your offering of a different opinion on this particular issue. I just meant in general.

I wish you'd missed that penalty now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dear oh dear, all the self-righteous football fans have fallen hook line and sink for this.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Their average gates were 17,000 just one season before the move was finally confirmed. That's about 5,000 more than Huddersfield Town right now.

If Huddersfield ever find themselves in the shit financially, it's good to know you won't be bothering us on NSC with your on-line begging bucket. :thumbsup:

Come on

Their gates averaged 17'000 because all the premier teams took thousands and people used the excuse to see a premier side....

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You're not allowed to have that sort of opinion on here

Don't get me wrong, I think the move to Milton Keynes should never have happened but I think as they are back in the league it might be time for everyone to move on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't get me wrong, I think the move to Milton Keynes should never have happened but I think as they are back in the league it might be time for everyone to move on.

It was really time to move a while back but if it is now so be it.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not sure what we can do about something that happened decades before we were born. Bit pointless concerning yourself with that now isn't it? Whereas Plymouth's is a fight in the here and now, and a cause that can be taken up while there's still a chance to do something about it.

Pain in the arse Wimbledon? Considered so by whom? By the Combined Counties League clubs who gained more receipts from one game with Wimbledon than in the rest of the season combined, for example? 'Sort of nicked the ground'? How? They bought it, and Kingstonian, who were desperate for the money, still play there – they haven't been forced out.

So we can all put a time limit on these things?

I don't particularly want to get into a debate about the history of AFC Wimbledon but they acted the big I ams all the way through the non-league structure then got the ground a few weeks before Kingstonian could form a supporters trust to try and buy it (although as you say they can still play there).

The move to Milton Keynes should never have happened and I am glad to see them back in the league, but football is a food chain of which they were quite happy to use in their favour when they were the big fish.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If say in 12 months time MK Dons were having the same sort of problems as Plymouth and their supporters asked for the assistance we are giving to Plymouth would all the people organising this green stuff and travel to Home Park be equally willing to do it for MK Dons ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Good question!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Come on

Their gates averaged 17'000 because all the premier teams took thousands and people used the excuse to see a premier side....

If you look at the stats - the 17,000 is actually the home attendance.

Bit of a myth I'm afraid to suggest the Wimbledon "failed" because no-one went to see them.

Far more complicated story than that. Remember the fans pissed to set up and watch their new team.

As for the question, I'd be more than happy for that fake team in Milton Keynes to go out of business.

Their league place was stolen. If Milton Keynes was such an untapped hot bed of football support - the current owner would have done well to start from the bottom and invest in a local non league side. Taken them eventually into the football league.

Sounds impossible doesn't it....

If MK Dons look like going bust, they at least have another option that isn't available to any other Club. They can sell themselves to some self-promoting businessman who might just move them somewhere else. Gloucester could probably use a football club with league status. As for the fans ... who cares? Not the owners of MK Dons, obviously.

jabba the gut ecfc

Sep 1, 2011
As regards the Gargoyles' apathy, I can kind of understand that. I believe confusion over the arcane twists and turns of the story, the convoluted, mysterious and nebulous links of the main players/shysters and the unpalatable choices available to them are partly to blame.

The Riddler is an absolute genius of the Jedi Mind Trick - his forked tongue and the rather more buffoonish mendacity of his cronies has effectively divided the fanbase and left some of them chasing their own tails in a desperate wish for survival at any cost. I've actually seen posts on PASOTI defending Heaney and suggesting they give Kassam a fair hearing as a fallback buyer because at least he has money to complete the deal!

Their desperation to avoid liquidation and reformation, no matter what the future holds if they are saved and continue as PAFC, is likely to be part of the problem. I suspect that the Riddler et al have deliberately used this to their advantage. If there was a unified view of what they wanted to achieve as a club, they would have something to fight for. Most seem to have set their face against reformation and starting again as a Trust owned club, free from baggage and possibly with the ground safe from the property sharks - and none of the other options seem to be universally popular.

Although there seems to be some groundswell in favour of the Brent bid (and I wonder how much of that is based on logic rather than emotion) it seems to me that there is more of an air of fighting against something rather than all marching together for a particular cause.

I don't think that apathy means you should give up on them. As I say they've been tied up in knots by ruthless and greedy individuals - many fanbases might feel a bit worn out and bewildered in similar circumstances.

Last edited:

jabba the gut ecfc

Sep 1, 2011
If MK Dons look like going bust...

In actual fact their last set of accounts were fairly alarming IIRC. There was something on their website at the time to the effect of needing to attract more fans and urging the existing fanbase to rustle up support. I seem to remember the attendance for the playoff SF last season was pretty unimpressive when considered in light of the massive potential Winkelman claimed for the club (sorry, can't be ar*ed to look up the exact figure).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
And maybe the owners at Barnet or Mansfield or Wrexham - and all those other clubs who are teetering on the edge - will stop and think about the opprobrium which they will bring upon themselves should they ignore the fans. So maybe, just maybe, it will make just a little difference and maybe those who have tried to repay a fourteen year old favour will at least know that they tried rather than stood by. [/I]

Small point of order, the owner at Barnet is not the problem it is the obstructionist council. But anotherwise superbly eloquent post Severnside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here