Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question about supporting Fans United ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
AFC Wimbledon celebrates promotion with Merton

08 July 2011

AFC Wimbledon celebrated their promotion into the Football League with a party at the Civic Centre, Morden yesterday (Thursday 7 July).

The Mayor of Merton and Leader of the Council welcomed AFC Wimbledon officials, team management and club volunteers to the celebrations.

Mayor of Merton, Councillor Gilli Lewis-Lavender said: "AFC Wimbledon should be proud of what they have achieved in just nine years. Through their successes they have clearly demonstrated how passion, enthusiasm and hard work make what may seem a massive challenge, so utterly achievable.'

Leader of Merton Council, Councillor Stephen Alambritis said: "With such dedication in its fans and players, the future is bright for AFC Wimbledon. I look forward to continuing to work with them as we do all we can to facilitate their search for a ground in Merton - their rightful home.'

AFC Wimbledon Chief Executive Erik Samuelson said: "Our promotion to League 2 is an amazing achievement and testament to the dedication of our fans. I am looking forward to the next season and hopefully a continuing journey up the league.'

-ENDS-

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So, that's a good reason to take the football club away from those fans, and plant their league position in a locality 100 miles away, is it?

They didn't exactly take the club away, it kept it alive in some ways. The plain fact is that Wimbledon FC were always poorly supported, even as a Premiership side. I used to live near Selhurst and would often got to their home games and yet, even if they were playing somebody like Coventry on a Tuesday night they would be outnumbered by the away fans.

Having siad that I'm pleased that Wimbledon are back in the league and I don't much like MKD, I would have my doubts about getting behind them unlike Plymouth.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally, I wish Plymouth well and sincerely hope they get out of their terrible situation, which many many teams have been there, or are teetering on the brink. Will I go down to home park...no. Too far and too expensive. I think it is great that they are having a fans reunited and hopefully that will get them good publicity.

I see where Ernest etc are coming from. I am now at a stage of life that I have been through all the protesting, playing at crap grounds in Kent and with dean and now enjoying the ride with Gus, for as long or short time that may last.

If people want to wear green against Leeds great, but just because some people do not that doesn't mean they do not care or are bad fans.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
AFC Wimbledon celebrates promotion with Merton

08 July 2011

AFC Wimbledon celebrated their promotion into the Football League with a party at the Civic Centre, Morden yesterday (Thursday 7 July).

The Mayor of Merton and Leader of the Council welcomed AFC Wimbledon officials, team management and club volunteers to the celebrations.

Mayor of Merton, Councillor Gilli Lewis-Lavender said: "AFC Wimbledon should be proud of what they have achieved in just nine years. Through their successes they have clearly demonstrated how passion, enthusiasm and hard work make what may seem a massive challenge, so utterly achievable.'

Leader of Merton Council, Councillor Stephen Alambritis said: "With such dedication in its fans and players, the future is bright for AFC Wimbledon. I look forward to continuing to work with them as we do all we can to facilitate their search for a ground in Merton - their rightful home.'

AFC Wimbledon Chief Executive Erik Samuelson said: "Our promotion to League 2 is an amazing achievement and testament to the dedication of our fans. I am looking forward to the next season and hopefully a continuing journey up the league.'

-ENDS-

Trouble is that's about 10 years too late. There was a derelict factory site just down the road from Colliers Wood Tube which would have been ideal, it was only about half a mile if that from Plough Lane however Mertson Council really didn't want to have a football team on their manor.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Trouble is that's about 10 years too late. There was a derelict factory site just down the road from Colliers Wood Tube which would have been ideal, it was only about half a mile if that from Plough Lane however Mertson Council really didn't want to have a football team on their manor.
The council now have a site earmarked just behind South Wimbledon tube on the road to Morden near where The Bill used to be filmed. I think there are a few hoops to jump through, but if that comes through that would be perfect for them.

That said, Kingstonian really is very easy to get to from Wimbledon so I wouldn't have thought there was much of a rush unless they fly through the divisions again, as Kingstonian would be hopelessly inadequate in the Championship these days.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I find it sad and puzzling that Plymouth fans haven't done more to highlight their plight and take the fight to the bastards who are destroying them, and at the same time I am pleased that a new group of Albion fans care enough to get of their arses and help. Hats off to you. I utterly agree with Dave that many of us who fought all those years just want to relax, be fans again and enjoy our wonderful new Albion life - I certainly do - but that doesn't mean we should sneer at people who want to carry on our campaigning tradition and, yes, help out where necessary. I'd like to think that a new generation of supporters will keep that part of the Albion's spirit alive. And don't worry about Ernest/Rochdale, everything he says is a wind-up and when he pretends it's not then that's a wind-up too. In public, he wouldn't say boo to an extremely introverted goose! And he does love the Albion. But he's a WELCHER who STILL hasn't KISSED Dick Knight's ARS in the CENTRE CIRCLE like he PROMISED :)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I find it sad and puzzling that Plymouth fans haven't done more to highlight their plight and take the fight to the bastards who are destroying them, and at the same time I am pleased that a new group of Albion fans care enough to get of their arses and help. Hats off to you. I utterly agree with Dave that many of us who fought all those years just want to relax, be fans again and enjoy our wonderful new Albion life - I certainly do - but that doesn't mean we should sneer at people who want to carry on our campaigning tradition and, yes, help out where necessary. I'd like to think that a new generation of supporters will keep that part of the Albion's spirit alive. And don't worry about Ernest/Rochdale, everything he says is a wind-up and when he pretends it's not then that's a wind-up too. In public, he wouldn't say boo to an extremely introverted goose! And he does love the Albion. But he's a WELCHER who STILL hasn't KISSED Dick Knight's ARS in the CENTRE CIRCLE like he PROMISED :)

A_Vampire_Saying_Boo_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_110316-157393-580053.jpg

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Personally, I wish Plymouth well and sincerely hope they get out of their terrible situation, which many many teams have been there, or are teetering on the brink. Will I go down to home park...no. Too far and too expensive. I think it is great that they are having a fans reunited and hopefully that will get them good publicity.

I see where Ernest etc are coming from. I am now at a stage of life that I have been through all the protesting, playing at crap grounds in Kent and with dean and now enjoying the ride with Gus, for as long or short time that may last.

If people want to wear green against Leeds great, but just because some people do not that doesn't mean they do not care or are bad fans.

Pretty much nailed my views in that post but i will just add a bit more. Congrats to the people going to home Park for Fans United day as this is where it should take place. We shouldn't be doing this at two important home games within 48hrs. I hope we are not planning anymore of these go green campaigns at home if we are on the box again. Supporting our team at our fixtures should be number 1 priority.

Last edited:

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Pretty much nailed my views in that post but i will just add a bit more. Congrats to the people going to home Park for Fans United day as this is where it should take place. We shouldn't be doing this at two important home games within 48hrs. I hope we are not planning anymore of these go green campaigns at home if we get anymore live matches. Supporting our team at our fixtures should be number 1 priority.

I don't see why, using the fact that the TV cameras will be at Falmer to get some much-needed publicity for Plymouth's cause, will have any detrimental effect on our performance on the pitch. In fact, the players will most-likely get a buzz from seeing, once again, what a great bunch of supporters we are.
Totally agree that, once the whistle blows, we should all be 100% behind the Albion, and we will be. The "Go Green - Save Argyle" things are all due to happen before the game. If it proves successful in raising awareness around the country, then YES, I think we should definately consider doing it again.
Having said that, if some people don't want to be involved, then I have no issue with that. We must go with our own opinions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here