Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public 'Service' Unions to go on strike.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's going to ba A link whether you like it or not, no matter how professional someone is. Someone worrying about how they're going to pay the bills is never going to nhave their mind on the job quite as much as someone who doesn't have those worries.

I'd agree with you if teachers were on a minimum wage, crap pension and 20 days holiday a year but their conditions are actually very good so asking them to put more to their pensions shouldn't affect their teaching.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ALL students to get 5 A* to C?

Surely anybody can see that if EVERYONE has them they will be totally worthless. Complete nonsense.

If "EVERYONE" is educated to a high standard it will be worthless? I'm not sure I really follow this.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I'd agree with you if teachers were on a minimum wage, crap pension and 20 days holiday a year but their conditions are actually very good so asking them to put more to their pensions shouldn't affect their teaching.

No, the conditions are NOT very good. When I was an NQT all those years ago, I didn't earn nearly enough to pay back what it cost me to get qualified and pay my rent and bills. I came very close to bankruptcy and had to come to agreements with all my creditors. Yes, once you've been working for a few years the salary goes up, but not by anywhere near as much as similarly qualified professions.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, the conditions are NOT very good. When I was an NQT all those years ago, I didn't earn nearly enough to pay back what it cost me to get qualified and pay my rent and bills. I came very close to bankruptcy and had to come to agreements with all my creditors. Yes, once you've been working for a few years the salary goes up, but not by anywhere near as much as similarly qualified professions.

We're going to have to disagree as my ex is a teacher and her pay and conditions have always seemed pretty good to me !

Average income per capita in the UK = $24,486
Average income per capita in India = $441

But never let facts get in the way of your prejudice.

That's not really our concern though is it?
Not fussed about the average wage in the country with a space programme would much rather the money was spent on excellent care for our elderly .
Not about party politics in this country any more,what ever coloured rosette these shysters wear we're gonna get shafted.

We're going to have to disagree as my ex is a teacher and her pay and conditions have always seemed pretty good to me !

I'm with you on this one. My wife is a teacher and the current starting wage for an NQT (outside of any inner/outer/fringe London weighting) is £21,588. When you take into account the holidays and the brilliant pension those make pretty good conditions IMHO.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'm with you on this one. My wife is a teacher and the current starting wage for an NQT (outside of any inner/outer/fringe London weighting) is £21,588. When you take into account the holidays and the brilliant pension those make pretty good conditions IMHO.

As is my wife and after 6 years employment she'll be on £34k next year. Works hard for it though but does get it back in the holidays.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How much does the Indian government spend on Nuclear weapons and their space programme? But never let INCONVENIENT facts get in the way of a cheap soundbite eh ?
I was going to say much the same. Our overseas aid DWARFS those of many other Western countries. Take a look at this - it shows overseas aid in billions:

Top Ten Doners Of Foreigner Aid Map

I reckon that puts us top (perhaps with France?) on an overseas aid per head basis.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Personally I've seen my pension pot shrink and I'm a private sector worker. I have to decide whether to pay in more, work longer or have a smaller pension or even all three. My pension is self funding without injections of tax payers cash. Public sector pensions should be the same so if the schemes need more money it should come from the members.

As a public sector worker I don't like the thought of it, but with a background in economics and accounting unfortunately I have to agree with you. The pensions timebomb would have exploded with or without the financial services crisis and subsequent recession.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How much does the Indian government spend on Nuclear weapons and their space programme? But never let INCONVENIENT facts get in the way of a cheap soundbite eh ?

The same % of GDP as we spend on ours, much of that spending is on products from UK companies.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm normally quite sympathetic with public workers, especially as none of the economic mess we find ourselves in is of their making, but if they are striking over pensions then they can jog on.

You don't need a degree in economics to see that pension reform is absolute necessity. We had relatives who retired on final salary teacher pensions at 55. One was 85 when she died, her husband is still around at the same age. That is thirty years that the pension company has paid out. And nowadays the situation is even more urgent. For example, being 60 something is not the same pipe and slippers caper that it was 20 years ago. My dad is 66, and plays on the trampoline with his grandkids, and over the past 5 years has cycled the banks of the Nile, the Great Wall of China and run the great Northern run. On the other hand, his two uncles and dad (my grandpa) had all died by his age.

People need to accept that an aging population needs to pay for itself - and that means working for longer. Retirement age should be 70, IMO, maybe even 71 or 72.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'd want more than £22k to step into a classroom and attempt to educate the masses. It's a difficult, often stressful, and very responsible job which goes well beyond the scope of simply standing in front of kids and teaching them.

I know a number of teachers and know a lot of what goes on, the abuse they have to put up with, the lack of support from parents (this in itself is quite shocking) the rubbish facilities and the long hours. I could not do it but I have a lot of respect for those that choose to. If you want a better society I suggest you support the people that try and make this happen on a daily basis, instead of just seeing 6 weeks holiday in the summer and complaining.

They deserve better, a lot better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The same % of GDP as we spend on ours, much of that spending is on products from UK companies.
I think a space programme is fair enough as that is an infrastructural investment, but we shouldn't be subsidising *any* nation with a nuclear arsenal IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think a space programme is fair enough as that is an infrastructural investment, but we shouldn't be subsidising *any* nation with a nuclear arsenal IMO.

Subsidising or investing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here