Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 - Anyone Waiting?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
TonyW said:
If you bothered to search the web, you'd find lots.

No, I won't. I'll find lots of retailers bluffing claiming they have a "few" left, and possibly a few tiny indies that are sold out. All the big chains still have plenty.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Just for Tony....

ps3mf9.jpg

No major retailer in the UK has sold out.

The only way it will be a 'sell out' next week is if Sony withdraw promised stock from the UK.

None of this makes the PS3 crap, of course (it's not).

But it's late, overpriced and under-specced - and good on the British public for realising that. :thumbsup:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Mrs Coach said:
So, we've plumped for

Oblivion - The Elder Scrolls PS3

and

Virtua Tennis PS3

mmmmn, nothing girly there. Think I might have to add something like Hamsterz or Sims to make it a bit pinker! lol!

The only game I've heard people getting excited about is Motorsomethingorother.

I played Oblivion briefly on the 360 but didn't like it. Odd seeing as I'm a bit of a geek who's been known to read fantasy novels...

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
They didn't fancy the racing one, even though it's being raved about. Maybe when it's on sale later on......

The Lil' Coaches like cartoon based games (Simsons Road Rage, Disney Skateboarding, Everybody's Golf) - Mini Coach likes the WWE wrestling games and Princess Coach likes girly Bratz style games.

Me and Mr Coach have had some nerdy evenings on dungeons style adventure games like Baldurs Gate or Champions : Return to Arms and a bottle of bacardi!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I couldn't give a toss about games machines but the fact that the UK market is being so short changed really pisses me off. :angry:

I hope Wozza is right and this is a total failure.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
All I'm saying is, its fine for retailers to take pre-orders if they have the stock available (and if in this case they have - then great).
But similar things were said about the N64, and the Gamecube when they came out (oh yeah there's going to be loads - and there wasn't).
As we are a few months on from the Jap and US launch (as per bleedin' usual) you'd hope things would be better.

But neither Play .com nor Gameplay will guarantee stock for online pre-orders. And Woolies are refusing as well.

There were near riots in both America and Japan on launch day as people fought to get one (someone actually got shot FFS!!).

I just hope that things are a good deal better over here.

And as I've said before - for what you are getting its not overpriced.

As for backwards compatibility; OK it would be nice to be able to play my PS2 games, but its hardly the end of the World if I can't. Sony (or any other manufacturer for that matter) don't release shiny next-gen machines in order to play 2 year old games do they? Its all about the new stuff, as it should be.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Er, no they are not.

Both Play.com and Gameplay have said they HOPE to be able to fulfill orders, but will not make any promises.

Oh, and that's a cracking advert from Game "100% guaranteed delivery", followed by "limited stock so hurry" :lolol: :lolol:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I've got 2 on order (1 from Amazon and 1 from Argos) because I'm a greedy bastard and am speculating that even if a few are still available shortly after launch then once Sony start their PS3 advertising in earnest and word starts getting round about how good this machine is then the remaining allocation will sell out very quickly leaving retailers with a long wait before the next major allocation arrives in the summer. Retailers can only expect a small trickle of supplies before then. I do not think that Sony are likely to lower the cost of the PS3 before Xmas and in any case their CEO has already been quoted as saying that it will remain at this price until 2008 Q2 at the earliest. I am speculating that the PS3 will sell out this year and in the run up to Xmas will command a fair price on Ebay where i intend to sell one of mine. I am keeping the other for myself and if I get caught out and the price comes down or the resale on ebay makes me little or no money then so be it.

As for PS2 compatibility, I have never owned a PS2 so don't care. Besides I am buying it to play PS3 games, if i wanted to play PS2 games then I would buy a PS2!!

The PS3 is not just a games console and for what you are getting I don't think £425 is too bad.

Once games developers get to grips with the PS3 the second generation of PS3 games promises to be awesome. Anybody seen the previews of 'Killzone' yet? That looks like a quality game!!My missus thinks I'm a bit sad for playing video games at the age of 38 but nothing beats the pure escapism of blasting away at stuff or driving like a complete nutter (that's my day job!!) in a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here