Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 - Anyone Waiting?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Bluejuice said:
It's just too much money.

I remember paying out £300 for my PS2 on its original launch date, I shelled out £300 on my Xbox 360 and I waited patiently for my Wii, forking out just under £200 for it earlier this year.

But bugger me if I'm gonna pay over £500 for a bit of kit that's already getting slated by the press and fans alike, with very few games and a dodgy chip that us Europeans will just have to suffer whilst the rest of the world laughs at us being stuck in the dark ages, tied to our sole region when watching movies or playing games.

I'll probably get one when they're cheaper mind

The launch price is £425.

And because of the delay in launching over here, there will be about 30 games available when it comes out, so that's not bad.

As for region-specific movies, I don't really see why that's a problem.
OK, so it would be nice to have a multi-region player, but it's not often I would need the facility to be honest.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
TonyW said:
The launch price is £425.

And because of the delay in launching over here, there will be about 30 games available when it comes out, so that's not bad.

It's £500 by time you've added a second controller, a game and (in some cases) a video lead.

Of the launch games, fewer than half a dozen are unavailable on other platforms - and none of those are great. Check the reviews for yourself. (Or note how no one is talking about the GAMES in this thread!)

The PS3 WILL be a great console to own when it's cheaper and has some compelling games - maybe next year.

But, right now, Sony are trying to shaft UK gamers with a overpriced and reduced spec console which has very little going for it.

Most sane people realise this, which is why it STILL hasn't sold out on pre-order, despite the limited UK stock of <200,000.

In fact, it's shaping up to be the weakest console launch here for YEARS.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Wozza said:
It's £500 by time you've added a second controller, a game and (in some cases) a video lead.

Of the launch games, fewer than half a dozen are unavailable on other platforms - and none of those are great. Check the reviews for yourself. (Or note how no one is talking about the GAMES in this thread!)

The PS3 WILL be a great console to own when it's cheaper and has some compelling games - maybe next year.

But, right now, Sony are trying to shaft UK gamers with a overpriced and reduced spec console which has very little going for it.

Most sane people realise this, which is why it STILL hasn't sold out on pre-order, despite the limited UK stock of <200,000.

In fact, it's shaping up to be the weakest console launch here for YEARS.

"Reduced Spec" - in what way?

It blows away anything from any other manufacturer in terms of spec.

Far superior graphics processor, much faster central processor, a blu-ray player, internet access, 60 gig hard drive, backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1.

The games line-up looks stunning (yes I have read the reviews)

What more could you want.

As for the price... its much better value than an XBox 360, and the Wii is just not in the same league, so you can't really compare the 2.

Pablo

Jul 8, 2003
Worthing
I'm getting the Wii initially as it has something different to offer and looks great fun when you have some mates round.

I will purchase a PS3 at some point but am in no particular rush. Once I have an HDTV, better deals are available for the system and better games out I will buy one. So looking at early to mid 2008.

Yes, the specs do look very good and blu ray players are not cheap on their own. But we are talking about a games console and unless you are a hardcore gamer then it makes no sense to rush out and get one at this price!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Pablo said:
I'm getting the Wii initially as it has something different to offer and looks great fun when you have some mates round.

I will purchase a PS3 at some point but am in no particular rush. Once I have an HDTV, better deals are available for the system and better games out I will buy one. So looking at early to mid 2008.

Yes, the specs do look very good and blu ray players are not cheap on their own. But we are talking about a games console and unless you are a hardcore gamer then it makes no sense to rush out and get one at this price!

I agree, price is a major consideration.

Lets face it, anything over £400 is a lot for a games machine.

But when you consider all the other things it can be (top-spec DVD player, internet browser, music/video station) then its actually pretty good value.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
TonyW said:
"Reduced Spec" - in what way?

The UK (European) PS3 don't have the Emotion Engine chip, which the American and Japanese models have.

It means that backwards compatibility with PS2 games has to be done with software emulation rather than hardware. Sony have admitted that compatibility will be 'limited' but refused to say which PS2 games will be playable on Euro PS3s until launch day!

It means UK gamers can't trade in their PS2, and have to leave their old console set up to play Guitar Hero, Pro Evo etc.

Whether you care about backwards compatibility or not, the fact is that Sony have cut back the spec of the console to REDUCE COSTS (their words), even though UK gamers have to PAY MORE for a PS3.

(Which, incidentally, is why I hope the launch is a disaster - Sony treat UK gamers with contempt).

Last edited:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Wozza said:
The UK (European) PS3 don't have the Emotion Engine chip, which the American and Japanese models have.

It means that backwards compatibility with PS2 games has to be done with software emulation rather than hardware. Sony have admitted that compatibility will be 'limited' but refused to say which PS2 games will be playable on Euro PS3s until launch day!

It means UK gamers can't trade in their PS2, and have to leave their old console set up to play Guitar Hero, Pro Evo etc.

Whether you care about backwards compatibility or not, the fact is that Sony have cut back the spec of the console to REDUCE COSTS (their words), even though UK gamers have to PAY MORE for a PS3.

(Which, incidentally, is why I hope the launch is a disaster - Sony treat UK gamers with contempt).

Yes, the Emotion Engine is being removed from the PAL machines.
This does seem complete nonsense seeing as the bloody chip (including the 32 Mb of RAM needed to run PS2 games) would cost Sony about £20 to include.

However, the impact will almost certainly be minimal, and Sony expect over 1000 PS2 games to play quite happily on PS3 via the software emulator that will ship as part of the next firmware update available at launch.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Mrs Coach said:
Is it still possible to do this? Is the 10% valid for console purchases? I know a lot of offers exclude consoles.

leeds2small.jpg

Sign outside Virgin... in Leeds.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Wozza said:
You've CLEARLY gone away to read about that since I mentioned it.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Certainly have :lolol:

Heard something about it a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have a clue what it would mean for us poor Europeans, so I had a quick look, and it seems it might not be as big a problem as it could have been - hopefully.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Not unless Sony withdraw stock to produce a bogus sellout.

With 8 days to go you can pre-order from Amazon, Game, HMV, Virgin, Gameplay.... and just about anywhere else you can think of.

As incentives, many retailers are throwing in freebies (eg a lead) or entering buyers into a prize drawer - or draw, even. :lolol:

Last edited:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Don't forget, a lot of retailers will continue to take pre-orders for stock they know damn well they are not going to get.
They often over-sell a launch console to cover for those people that pre-order, then change their mind.

And don't forget, also, that the PS3 is Sony fastest ever selling launch console. It also considerable outsold the XBox 360 at it's launch.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
TonyW said:
Don't forget, a lot of retailers will continue to take pre-orders for stock they know damn well they are not going to get.

:thud:

The companies previously mentioned are offering GUARANTEED delivery on PS3 launch day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here