Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
you have some heavily bias views on Musk and Twitter, which is not the only public space on the internet, and assume only the right benefit from his relaxed approach to free speech. or hate speech. who is to decides, you, me, Musk, some 20yo analyst in a office cubical? Musk has veered off too far for many, mostly as a direct response of others that veered too far another way. the general issues involved have been talked about for longer than Twitter existed. people want to control and stiffle public internet forums and will use instances such as current situation to drive through the legislation that effect everything, not just one company or CEO who's disliked.
Come off it. 'X' has become a cesspit due to deliberate decisions by the owner. Zeb has explained it all and the context and how it relates to wider issues of free speech and legal responsibility perfectly clearly. All the owner needs to do is delete the hate stuff and block the posters, but he actively refuses to do so. And his recent predictions of civil war in the UK speaks to his agenda. As someone else posted, he's a wrong 'un.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are almost being lapped on the aforementioned thread, you need to up your game mate.
If there's one thing DULLER than one or two posters completely dominating a thread with a lot of posts (often repeating the same points many times), then its someone posting a load of really boring posts about post counts. 💤

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Post Numbers on this thread impressive, it’s like the olympic medal table, I think it’s all about who’s coming second though 😂

Latest table

View attachment 186749
I assume because you’re on here so little you missed the specific instruction not to settle personal scores on this thread. Thread ban for anyone doing so again.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Landlords being paid premium rates and terms for housing asylum seekers are bound to push up rental rates .

Hey if I was a landlord myself I would either be using the scheme or if I had tenants on a fixed term lease arrangement be replacing them when the agreement ended

It's just business , nothing personal .
Somewhat O/T but Dickens' Christmas Carol caused a great stir in Victorian times because unlike some more modern versions Scrooge is completely honest and entirely law abiding. The message was that he was going to hell because that was not enough.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As I’m sure you know, the origins of what is left and right wing derives from the Citizens “Parliament” following the French Revolution, the radicals (Jacobins) sat on the left, the conservatives (merchant/bourgeois class) on the right.

The modern usage of left and right wing as a mechanism of determining political intent and motive is clumsy at best and misleading at worst, most people have political views that can be conservative (small or no change) and also radical (profound change).

Accordingly, in the original context of what is left or right wing, (and by way of example) Brexit would be left wing, and in the context of people expressing views to restrict immigration, you could argue in current terms an immediate cessation of immigration would be a radical step towards immigration policy and therefore also left wing.

It’s much better to determine intent through political ideology, international Marxism, as an ideology would support open borders for example, and that is essentially what we had with the Tories (despite their rhetoric) and I suspect the Labour Party will follow suit on more transparent ideological plane.

International Marxism sounds more scary than left wing though……….so we will no doubt stay with the simplistic stuff.
Good try, but if you are hating on people in asylum centres, whilst waving a George Cross, and saying we want our country back, it's right wing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it was just pure luck that they got someone representative of the majority of rioters :shrug:
It is very, very unfair to lump all the other rioters /protesters in with this guy. They really are not ALL racist simpletons.

There are some who just love a ruck, and other who just fancied stealing some sausage rolls or a few bottles of WKD.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If there's one thing DULLER than one or two posters completely dominating a thread with a lot of posts (often repeating the same points many times), then its someone posting a load of really boring posts about post counts. 💤
Agreed; one or two posters completely dominating a thread with a lot of posts (often repeating the same points many times) is massively dull - and is something that you would hope could addressed through just a modicum of self-moderation.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Agreed; one or two posters completely dominating a thread with a lot of posts (often repeating the same points many times) is massively dull - and is something that you would hope could addressed through just a modicum of self-moderation.
It ends up like white noise... irritating when you notice it, but most of the time, easily ignored.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
you have some heavily bias views on Musk and Twitter, which is not the only public space on the internet, and assume only the right benefit from his relaxed approach to free speech. or hate speech. who is to decides, you, me, Musk, some 20yo analyst in a office cubical? Musk has veered off too far for many, mostly as a direct response of others that veered too far another way. the general issues involved have been talked about for longer than Twitter existed. people want to control and stiffle public internet forums and will use instances such as current situation to drive through the legislation that effect everything, not just one company or CEO who's disliked.
I’m astonished that you are trying to present some kind of apologist argument for online hate speech.

And ‘Yes’, absolutely. I fully admit that I am heavily biased against racist and any form of extremist content being allowed to flood the internet when there are laws in multiple territories clearly delineating what the limitations are to free speech and laws and provisions on Human Rights violations that very clearly define what constitutes ‘hate speech’. I also fully admit I am biased against those who think ‘freedom of speech’ is a passport to say wtf you like regardless of the harm it causes to national security, groups or other individuals.

Not even the ‘father’ of civil rights legislation, Thomas Payne, agreed to the unconditional and unfettered rights to freedom of speech.

‘The Declaration of Rights itself stipulated that laws could limit free speech in order to combat ‘abuses of this freedom’.

If I am appearing to you biased against Musk, it is because it’s relevant to the thread (but my points apply to all social media platforms) - Musk has taken it upon himself in recent days to get involved in the riots by spreading personally dangerous opinions …

And fake news …

You tell me how this irresponsible bollix falls under the universally accepted guidelines of ‘free speech’?

What is also relevant to the thread and the possibility of foreign agents being behind the far rights use of social media to incite violence and social unrest is where Musk got his funding from to purchase Titter which has implications for national security:

’Not only has Musk brought on a number of investors to help finance the deal, including entities with to China, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia but one of his other companies, Tesla, is increasingly dependent on the Chinese market and the goodwill of the Chinese government’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here