Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protest Outside St James Park

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Twenty five years ago, it was oh so different....

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jXjY60i4-g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jXjY60i4-g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Have the other teams you mention not done better in European competitions than Wolves?

A solitary losing appearance in the first ever UEFA Cup Final in 1972 is hardly the record of a 'massive' club...
Under Stan Cullis, they were consistent winners against top European sides before UEFA got round to organising proper European club competitions.

All I am saying is that, in their day, Wolves have as much a claim to the word "massive" as any other English football club.

Their record includes this spell:-
1953-54 Champions
1954-55 Runners Up
1955-56 Third
1956-57 Sixth
1957-58 Champions
1958-59 Champions
1959-60 Runners Up & FA Cup Winners

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I have my own personal reasons for rejoicing in the relegation of Newcastle United. It fills me with pleasure matched only by the most die hard mackem to know that one particular geordie has suffered much much pain today. Not enough though. Not for that ****

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find the GLOATING at Newcastle fans unbelievable to be honest. Why do people take such delight in the failings of a club who have been in the Premiership for all but one season, who played some of the best football during the late 1990s, who have been in Europe for ten out of the last thirteen seasons, who bring JOY to the vast majority of the people in the city?

What??

In football, as in life generally, proceedings are usually dominated by those with more money or historical success (in Newcastle's case, very historical). When one of those individuals or institutions for once falls short, you can't possibly be surprised that the little man takes a small moment to enjoy it.
Did you laugh when Leeds fell from grace? Does it amuse you when a politician or minor celebrity is caught with his pants down? Don't you feel the tiniest moment of joy when someone like Man United or Chelsea are beaten by a "lesser" club?

Frankly if you don't, then you're barely human. Newcastle are a wildly overrated entity, whose own consideration of their status is significantly higher than everybody else's. If you're in the sympathy mode, why aren't you crying for the people of Middlesbrough, who've also just lost a Premier League side? Or Millwall and Shrewsbury, who lost play off finals? Did you not notice Swindon fans pissing themselves at their apparent consignment of us to the relegation slots earlier this year? What reason have they got to do that?

It's called schadenfreude, and if we can't allow ourselves a brief moment of it, football would be a considerably more boring place.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And further to the above: I am a lifelong supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion. Why should I give a toss about another team simply because they've been in the Premiership for "all but one season"? Well whoop-de-doo. What possible relevance does that have to me? Am I supposed to be in awe of that?

You should be working for SkySports.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Give em their due though; owt happens up there and theres always at least a dozen outside the ground (all in replica shirts) to give their opinion on it.

Jeff Stella: 'And its over to St James Park on this wednesday afternoon (before countdown starts) where weve just heard that Linda the tea lady has got the boot'

Geordie: 'Why aye she was a canny pet. And weve proved that no ones bigger than the club by getting rid of her. The next tea lady will take us to the next level and we'll see a brew of tea that a club as big as this deserves bonny lad'

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
And further to the above: I am a lifelong supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion. Why should I give a toss about another team simply because they've been in the Premiership for "all but one season"? Well whoop-de-doo. What possible relevance does that have to me? Am I supposed to be in awe of that?

Um, that was sort of my point in the first place. I was questioning why people were so bothered about Newcastle's relegation when it has ZERO significance for us.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't know what they are moaning about anyway know got a chance of getting their hands on a trophy

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Why are they protesting outside Exeter's ground? Didn't they have a good season?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I thought Newcastle were shocking today. The passing was poor, and they deserved to lose the game, and over the season, they deserved to go down. I am not happy or gloating, but I am pleased for Hull, it's good to see smaller clubs can survive in the Premiership.

People seem to forget that 2 of the 3 promoted sides stayed up this year which is impressive and shows it can be done.

I do however hope that Hull get about 5 points next year and go down unless Brown is sacked.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I find the GLOATING at Newcastle fans unbelievable to be honest. Why do people take such delight in the failings of a club who have been in the Premiership for all but one season, who played some of the best football during the late 1990s, who have been in Europe for ten out of the last thirteen seasons, who bring JOY to the vast majority of the people in the city?

How would people like it if the tables were turned and we were in their situation? How would everyone react to fans from a club who aren't in the same division (either now or next season) and who aren't rivals, taking joy in our failings? Personally, I would find it unnecessary and hard to stomach.

Given our past I thought that Albion fans would have more compassion towards a group of fans who love their football but have been taken for numerous rides by chairmen and other board members. Obviously not.

I am not saying that everyone should feel SORRY for Newcastle fans, but taking such unbridled JOY in their failings is something that I don't want to be part of.

what are you on. your statement 'all but one year of the premiership' gives it away though a little bit. youwatch too much sky mate.

who gives a f*** about the boring geordie wa nkers. Booing their eyes out, taking their shirts off, thinking they are gods gift to football and generally smelling the place out.

Its brilliant they have gone down, serves them right. Hope they go bust too, and the stadium burns to the ground one night.

There you go is that enough for you. Why have you got to be all support group with everyone who has a tough time in football. thats the point of it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    432.8 KB · Views: 178

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
40% of teams that go down. Don't go back up again. From the 'Prem'. Not nesaseraly the Top Division.

***NEWS FLASH*** There has been football in this country since before 1992. Since the 1880s, in fact. And if we're quoting statistics, then since 1955 Newcastle have won, err, the FA Youth Cup and the Intertoto Cup.

Having 52,000 lemmings turn up week in week out to watch you does not make you a big club.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
This has been on the cards for a long time, to many managers, the fans are to blame to it was them that got big sam sacked, if ashley had some bollocks and kept him in the job they would still be in the premership

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here