Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Programs

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Even with last years pretty good programmes, the amount of editorial you would be getting for £3.50 makes it pathetic value - a good chunk of programme is adverts, whilst another chunk is repeat or free to find information (eg. squads, league tables, shirt sponsors, fixtures). When you also consider that most of the player interviews are almost entirely made up of stock phrase positivity, "the lads are really together" or "we want to put a few things right and I'm sure results will improve," it's going to be pretty hard to justify buying anymore. I understand that print costs have gone up, but then so, I suspect, has the cost of advertising.

Personally I would favour a WORSE programme, but a cheaper one. Something for half the price with Gus' notes, opposition notes, squads, news and perhaps a couple of features in a much thinner, compact format without all the fluff pieces and dull match reports would be far preferable. Oh, and please put some interesting covers on the front reflecting the season progressing (goal celebrations, match pictures etc.) rather than the shit squad promo photos on white background we had all last year.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of Mike f***ing Ward, is there ANYONE left who finds him even remotely amusing/interesting?

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Even with last years pretty good programmes, the amount of editorial you would be getting for £3.50 makes it pathetic value - a good chunk of programme is adverts, whilst another chunk is repeat or free to find information (eg. squads, league tables, shirt sponsors, fixtures). When you also consider that most of the player interviews are almost entirely made up of stock phrase positivity, "the lads are really together" or "we want to put a few things right and I'm sure results will improve," it's going to be pretty hard to justify buying anymore. I understand that print costs have gone up, but then so, I suspect, has the cost of advertising.

Personally I would favour a WORSE programme, but a cheaper one. Something for half the price with Gus' notes, opposition notes, squads, news and perhaps a couple of features in a much thinner, compact format without all the fluff pieces and dull match reports would be far preferable. Oh, and please put some interesting covers on the front reflecting the season progressing (goal celebrations, match pictures etc.) rather than the shit squad promo photos on white background we had all last year.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of Mike f***ing Ward, is there ANYONE left who finds him even remotely amusing/interesting?

Seeing as we won the award for the Best Programme last season in the Football League, I'm sure the club would disagree with you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barber is being used as a scapegoat by the moaners. Let us reserve judgement until we definitely know he has introduced something which is unpopular with the fans.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was expecting an increase to £3.50 as last year almost all programmes around the championship grounds were £3, with one or two exceptions - Leeds being one at £3.50, so if the prgrammes still sell at these grounds others will follow.

In terms of Saturdays programme, non-league and unimportant cup games have always produced a much thinner programme, what about those wonderful 4 page specials for the Football league trophy, or whatever it was called in that particular season, which were a £1 for basically a team sheet.

If the prgramme is thinner this season, one pr spin on this, would be to satisfy the moaners from last season who complained about the stiff spin, and how it made it difficult to get into a pocket.

Maybe the club will push the E-version more this season. Personally I much prefer the normal format, and hopefully the programme will still prove to be value for money and provide a good 30 minute read prior to the game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The club have got things muddled up. Last season's programme was worth £4 each and they charged £3. This season's one (assuming the Chelsea one is the standard and size for 2012/13) is worth £2 (if that) and they'll charge £3.50.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Out of interest, what do people get out of buying a programme? I've never bought home programmes, and only occasionally buy away ones, but that more out of "something to read" than anything else and they usually end up in the bin.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Out of interest, what do people get out of buying a programme? I've never bought home programmes, and only occasionally buy away ones, but that more out of "something to read" than anything else and they usually end up in the bin.

Purely for Spencer Vignes' wonderful retro articles. That man writes beautifully.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I don't mind paying £3.50 for it if it's of last years quality as I really enjoy reading it. However I would object to a price increase and drop in quality.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The programmes aren't for the modern day in my opinion. They're for 5 years time when you're nostalgic for these times again. The programme is the record of the game, you can see where the Albion were at that moment in time. I love leafing through old programmes and seeing pictures of our youth team with Dean Hammond beaming front and centre with a little Dan Harding creeping out the back row. Eventually, everything will be E-somethingorother and that will be eternally sad.

Maybe it's just me, I hate the idea of the Kindle and such like, I will never stop buying paperback books. Not everything needs digitalising.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
The programmes aren't for the modern day in my opinion. They're for 5 years time when you're nostalgic for these times again. The programme is the record of the game, you can see where the Albion were at that moment in time. I love leafing through old programmes and seeing pictures of our youth team with Dean Hammond beaming front and centre with a little Dan Harding creeping out the back row. Eventually, everything will be E-somethingorother and that will be eternally sad.

Maybe it's just me, I hate the idea of the Kindle and such like, I will never stop buying paperback books. Not everything needs digitalising.

I completely agree with you. I love looking through my old programs once in a while, it brings back memories of the game. And I hate it when I look back through my programs knowing that there are a couple of games that I went to but didn't get a chance to get a program. And e-things just don't give that same sort of nostalgia, especially after it gets lost in a folder to never be found again.

And for a program of that quality, I wouldn't mind paying 50p extra. And it gives me an hours worth of reading when I get home.

I also agree with what [MENTION=8329]Spider[/MENTION] said. A better cover would be nice, the covers we had last season were a tad dull.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's programme

Bore off. Everyone knows what people are referring to, pedantry is so unrequired here.

I completely agree with you. I love looking through my old programs once in a while, it brings back memories of the game. And I hate it when I look back through my programs knowing that there are a couple of games that I went to but didn't get a chance to get a program. And e-things just don't give that same sort of nostalgia, especially after it gets lost in a folder to never be found again.

And for a program of that quality, I wouldn't mind paying 50p extra. And it gives me an hours worth of reading when I get home.

I also agree with what [MENTION=8329]Spider[/MENTION] said. A better cover would be nice, the covers we had last season were a tad dull.

You and I think alike on this issue and I think the people "kicking off" about it are all pretty much thinking along the same lines. For a programme of last season's quality, I wouldn't oppose the price rise to £3.50. But IF it is in the style of saturday, which at the moment there is no reason to think it won't be, then I'll just ask a 1901 mate of mine to get me a programme whenever possible because I won't be paying that much for it.

On the plus side, the club are encouraging me to reduce my average spend at the Amex for the coming season. Instead of the £10 I was spending last season (programme, and an averge of 2 pies, occaisonally a pint or two too), it looks like it'll be closer to the £0 mark. I'm sure that's not exactly what they're hoping for, and I'm sure they won't be overly concerned about how they've spoilt the experience for this one customer.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's programme

As mod, could you please amend the thread title to its correct spelling rather than the abomination of 'program'?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I do wish the club would bring back pen pictures of the opposition and a full team photo. None of this arbitrary '3 to watch' rubbish.

And get rid of Mike Ward and Paul Jiggins (Sun Super Goals). Thanks.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Out of interest, is there any factual evidence that Barber is responsible for:

£28 away end prices (last year they were £24 with no transport included)
£28 cheapest home ticket prices (last year they were £24 with no transport included I think) (are Brighton bus tickets £4?)
£4 programs (that are much poorer quality than last season)
£4 a pint for lager (well £3.60 if you are sensible)
£7.50 for a pie and a pint (I think that's the figure quoted by someone on here)
£30 for a friendly against the European Champions (which sold out)

and generally 8 & 28% increases on things accross the board.

Is it him that has personally decided on these rises? Were they on the cards anyway? Why does there seem to be a witch hunt against him on here?

£6.75 if you're sensible :thumbsup:

I'm personally not against the price increase to the programme, it's the quality of the programme that I care about.
If it's crap I won't buy it. Simple as.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here