Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Programs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did anyone else notice Saturdays program was £3 for a very light one. Last year, the lighter reads were £2, and normal game ones were £3. So are we going for £4 for a normal one now ? #ffsbarber

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The common opinion is that the crap on sale saturday is basically the standard of programme we're going to be flogging this season. So we've gone from having the best programme in the league to a contender for the worst, if saturday is anything to go by.

As I said in the original thread, maybe they would make a better margin on programmes if they weren't handed out like confetti in the 1901 areas, and if there weren't dozesns scattered about on the lounge tables. Very wise commerical decision, but yet another sign that we're pinching pennies as hard as is possible. Is Barber behind it? We'll probably not ever know, but something is beginning to smell.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
What price are the matchday programmes at other Championship/Premier League clubs?

Are they better or worse than ours, quality-wise?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Somebody on here mentioned that programmes are going up to £3.50 this year (no idea if this is true) but that would sound about right compared to other price increases.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The common opinion is that the crap on sale saturday is basically the standard of programme we're going to be flogging this season. So we've gone from having the best programme in the league to a contender for the worst, if saturday is anything to go by.

Is that really a serious opinion / consideration? I'd be very suprised if that is going to be our standard programme.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is that really a serious opinion / consideration? I'd be very suprised if that is going to be our standard programme.

Yes, there was somebody who sits in a box who said he was told that this seasons' programme was going to be like the one we had on saturday. I forget his name, it was posted in the first thread about the programme from saturday. I sincerely hope we show up tomorrow night and we have last seasons gloriously made programme on sale for the FDM. If his programme is like saturdays one, it will be a massive shame. I understand the need to keep costs down and maximise profitiability, but it's like they're taking every single aspect of the Amex experience and making it slightly worse. If the programme is rubbish this season, I probably won't buy it and the pie pricing shambles is looking like meaning I won't have the pies either. When you consider they don't want everyone showing up at 2:30 and leaving immediately after the game, they're not going about it overly well.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

As I said in the original thread, maybe they would make a better margin on programmes if they weren't handed out like confetti in the 1901 areas, and if there weren't dozesns scattered about on the lounge tables. Very wise commerical decision, but yet another sign that we're pinching pennies as hard as is possible. Is Barber behind it? We'll probably not ever know, but something is beginning to smell.

I hope that isn't true, I thought the programmes last year were excellent and they were only smaller on Saturday as it was a friendly.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Has anybody noticed how much everything you buy has gone up in the last 3 years? Paper and production costs are bound to have increased in line with everything else, If anybody thinks that the programme price is going to remain unchanged is living in a fantasy. Welcome to the real world

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Ninja Elephant;508088 I sincerely hope we show up tomorrow night and we have last seasons gloriously made programme on sale for the FDM. If his programme is like saturdays one said:
I would guess that tomorrows programme will be produced by his testimonial committee. Loosely based on , but quite different to, our usual programme.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am very sceptical that Saturdays programme is the format for the season. The club are highly unlikely to drop the quality by that considerable margin and, if as other posters are suggesting, put up the price. If they do, then for the first season in the last 36, I won't be buying programmes. If a pie and a pint stay at £7.50 then, irrespective of my smart card discount, will probably be steering clear of the pies!! Be interesting to see if there is a drop in sales and if so, what the club do about it. We know there will be the usual posters that comment that if you want the likes of Vicente then you have to pay for it, but then where do you stop?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hope that isn't true, I thought the programmes last year were excellent and they were only smaller on Saturday as it was a friendly.

So do I. The programmes from last season were fantastic, all of them. High quality, packed with contents and well priced at £3. It's only a minor thing, maybe, but I think the programme is important and part of the matchday experience.

Has anybody noticed how much everything you buy has gone up in the last 3 years? Paper and production costs are bound to have increased in line with everything else, If anybody thinks that the programme price is going to remain unchanged is living in a fantasy. Welcome to the real world

No, I think you're the first to notice that actually. I would be happy to pay £4 for the type of programme we had last season. But saturdays programme had absolutely no value for money at £3.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
So
The common opinion is that the crap on sale saturday is basically the standard of programme we're going to be flogging this season. So we've gone from having the best programme in the league to a contender for the worst, if saturday is anything to go by. .

Shall we wait for the Cardiff game to find out the price and what its like then? Or shall we continue to bitch about drop in standard/price increase that hasn't actually happened....yet.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Whether it's gone up or not, I've decided to stop buying a programme for every game I go to. Partly due to space in storing the things but also the realisation that they are worth nothing nowadays and it'll offset the jump in pie/ale prices.

I'll maybe buy one for the big matches - should we have any!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Shall we wait for the Cardiff game to find out the price and what its like then? Or shall we continue to bitch about drop in standard/price increase that hasn't actually happened....yet.

I say continue to bitch about the standard. It was rubbish against Chelsea, worse than anything we produced in League 1. Last year the Tottenham programme was in the style we were going to have for the season. It is a reasonable assumption that the desire for higher margins on mass sold items at the Amex has found its way to the programmes.

Naturally, I hope I'm wrong. I hope we retain the style of programme from last season, but the signs aren't great.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The fanzine will be £1 again next season :rave:

So, you can produce a fanzine of higher quality than the Chelsea programme, for £1. And you don't get such a high discount based on volume of production. How on EARTH do you do it?! Are you able to give an idea of your production cost?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So, you can produce a fanzine of higher quality than the Chelsea programme, for £1. And you don't get such a high discount based on volume of production. How on EARTH do you do it?! Are you able to give an idea of your production cost?

I'm assuming they run as a not for profit

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Disgusting thing is, in the 1901 lounges, they are just left about like rubbish as they are free to everyone. Might go and nab some after every game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here