Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Probably fixtures but I for one am delighted The Football League have banned smoking.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Starry said:
They can and will.

Leeds note seat numbers of people who smoke (don't say anything at the games!) and send them letter in the mail, you get one or two chances before being called before the kangaroo court in the same way you would for being a asked to leave/hooligan/racist abuse etc.

That's what happens when you have you club run by a dictator though.

And they wonder why gates at Leeds are falling....? :rolleyes:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
No. That is what happens when people think they are above the rules and regulations of any given place!

Bates did not want to ban smoking before the actual ban comes in, but we had a vote of Leeds fans and it was something like 79% who said yes. He is doing what the majority of our fans asked for.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Beach Hut said:
So I assume Victoria Railway Station is classed as enclosed although the platforms are possibly open to the elements at the end ?

Irish interpretation of the law means that those kind of stations = banned. Even Pearse, which is open at both ends of the "shed" = banned.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bristolseagull said:
f***ing gay,

NOONE is going to tell me when i can or cant smoke.

I'm sure when you've got two or three of the UK equivalents of the THREE THOUSAND EURO fine waiting, you'll change your mind.

Remember, it won't be the club enforcing the ban, it'll be the state.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bristolseagull said:
f***ing gay,

NOONE is going to tell me when i can or cant smoke.

blue'n'white said:
And I thought this was a free country
Bastards take enough fuckin' tax then I can't smoke the vleedin' things
And like bristolseagull above NO ONE will tell me what i can and can't do:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

These kind of knee-jerk reactions to the threat of not being able to smoke wherever you want are always laughable.

Firstly they are not telling you when you can and can't smoke or whether you are allowed to smoke. You can do it whenever you like. 24/7 if you so wish.

They are telling you WHERE you can and can't smoke. And yes they will tell you what to do. And unless you want to be kicked out of every public place you enjoy going to and end up bankrupted from fines you'll follow.

Whats so horrific about being told what to do anyway? You're told what to do in every other aspect of life.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Rangdo said:
These kind of knee-jerk reactions to the threat of not being able to smoke wherever you want are always laughable.

Firstly they are not telling you when you can and can't smoke or whether you are allowed to smoke. You can do it whenever you like. 24/7 if you so wish.

They are telling you WHERE you can and can't smoke. And yes they will tell you what to do. And unless you want to be kicked out of every public place you enjoy going to and end up bankrupted from fines you'll follow.

Whats so horrific about being told what to do anyway? You're told what to do in every other aspect of life.

its yet ANOTHER assault on our civil liberties- this govenment is intent on running this country like a dictatorship, its fundamentally wrong.

why the f*** should ANYBODY be able to tell me that i cant drink a can of f***ing beer on the streets of brighton?

unless people challenge the views of the state we'll get wanked over- which is pretty much whats happening right now.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
bristolseagull said:
its yet ANOTHER assault on our civil liberties- this govenment is intent on running this country like a dictatorship, its fundamentally wrong.

why the f*** should ANYBODY be able to tell me that i cant drink a can of f***ing beer on the streets of brighton?

unless people challenge the views of the state we'll get wanked over- which is pretty much whats happening right now.
What about the civil liberties of people that have to endure other peoples smoke?

No-one is saying you cant smoke, just in public places.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
edna krabappel said:
...or maybe it'll be covered by the reduced burden on the NHS in years to come, caused by fewer people smoking?

I would love to know just how much smoking does cost the state and NHS in comparison to the cost alcohol has?
Drink related illness is on the increase and the cost of controlling drunks in our towns on the police force throughout the country must now be rising.
Well perhaps they will apply the same laws to drink soon. Now I for one would be happier with that as it means I could walk the streets at night far safer and nurses can work in A&E without the fear of violence.
Not sure how many nurses and members of the police have been attacked from the effects of smoking?

And I would rather be with a smoker in a football ground than some of the drunken arseholes I have seen. Far less dangerous for 90 minutes !!!

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
bristolseagull said:

Well said that man.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
All you smokers harping on about civil liberties need to take your heads out of your arses. If you want to smoke yourself to death and spend a fortune doing so that's fine by me, just don't do it where you're putting anyone else's health at risk - ie don't do it in public places. That's all the law is asking you to do, be a bit considerate of other people instead of giving them lung cancer at the same time as you give it to yourselves.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Seagull73 said:
That's what happens when you have you club run by a dictator though.

And they wonder why gates at Leeds are falling....? :rolleyes:

See Starry's reply. If you break the rules of somewhere expect to pay the price.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bristolseagull said:

Go ahead. Challenge away. I'm not going to challenge the views of the state because I agree and it will make my life better.

Since only about 25% of adults smoke I would hazard a guess that the majority of people will welcome the change as well and this is a perfect example of a government acting in the interests of its public.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Beach Hut said:
So I assume Victoria Railway Station is classed as enclosed although the platforms are possibly open to the elements at the end ?

Probably definitely. You can't smoke on open tube stations.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
bristolseagull said:
f***ing right,
what the f*** is going on in this country?

Strangely the government are going to introduce some measures supported by the majority of the population.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here