Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Probably fixtures but I for one am delighted The Football League have banned smoking.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Beach Hut said:
Indifferent really about the whole thing as been off the fags sonce 02.01.07.

What happens at a place like Victoria station - will it be banned there ?

Not sure! I know it was reported in papers a while back that somebody in the government health department wanted the ban extended to outside pubs, restaurants, work places, and at bus stops, railway stations and just about everywhere except your back garden as long as your neighbours dont complain.

The worrying thing for the non smokers has to be how much extra taxes will they be hit with to cover for lost revenue from cigarette sales going down?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
cannedheat said:
I do agree, one place I have to visit has a smoking shed that is about 50 Mtrs from the main building and it will have to go.

AT my office or the one I'm moving to in March you have to go off site to smoke. For some this is as much as a 4 minute walk, thats probably about 13 minutes lost for every fag they have. Give em a room to smoke in and the productivity will shoot up.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
British Bulldog said:
The worrying thing for the non smokers has to be how much extra taxes will they be hit with to cover for lost revenue from cigarette sales going down?

...or maybe it'll be covered by the reduced burden on the NHS in years to come, caused by fewer people smoking?

My mortgage has just gone up anyway because of the interest rates, so I doubt any tax increase because of a smoking ban will make much difference.

But I will appreciate going to a pub and not coming home stinking of smoke. I'm not demonising smokers or anything, but I just hate the way (as a non smoker) it gets into your clothes and skin, and you wake up the next morning smelling like a 40 a day habit, when all you did was sit in the pub for three hours!

chez said:
AT my office or the one I'm moving to in March you have to go off site to smoke. For some this is as much as a 4 minute walk, thats probably about 13 minutes lost for every fag they have. Give em a room to smoke in and the productivity will shoot up.
I agree if they have there own room away from non smokers they are not doing anybody any harm except themselves.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suppose a part of a contract for work could be you do not smoke at work therefore productivity is better ?

I wonder if that is legal ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Once it's the law in workplaces though, it won't have to be a specific part of contracts though surely.

Any employer has a basic code of conduct, which would generally give them the power to sack you for doing bad things, therefore it would be a piece of piss to fire people for doing an activity that was illegal, ie smoking in the workplace.

And if you took hours to go for a smoking break because it was miles away, that would upset all the non smokers, so they'd have cause to do you for that as well.

Catch 22!

Might as well give up now. Think long term, guys!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You have to laugh when it's absolutely PISSING it down outside, and you go past an office somewhere- there's always three, forlorn, bedraggled smokers standing by the fire escape, puffing away and attempting to shelter from the torrent under a lone, leaking umbrella.

Nicotine truly must be a powerful drug
:lolol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
edna krabappel said:
...or maybe it'll be covered by the reduced burden on the NHS in years to come, caused by fewer people smoking?

My mortgage has just gone up anyway because of the interest rates, so I doubt any tax increase because of a smoking ban will make much difference.

But I will appreciate going to a pub and not coming home stinking of smoke. I'm not demonising smokers or anything, but I just hate the way (as a non smoker) it gets into your clothes and skin, and you wake up the next morning smelling like a 40 a day habit, when all you did was sit in the pub for three hours!

Trust me edna as a smoker even I can admit there's nothing good about smoking because it's a disgusting habit and there's a lot of smokers like myself who would love to pack up but find it very hard to achieve. I went to a non smoking pub in Shoreham last year and really enjoyed it, where I would normally have gone through at least 10 - 15 fags I only smoked 2 because it meant going outside to smoke. The thing that really gets me is if the government are really so serious about this smoking issue , then why dont they just ban the import, sale and use of all tobacco products in this country? They wont because of the lost tax revenue's and they are only using the smoking issue as a vote winner.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why don't you try and give up BB ?

Early doors for me but it has not been as bad as I thought - so far.

Although I understand I am not far from temtation for quite a while.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re: Re: Probably fixtures but I for one am delighted The Football League have banned smoking.

chez said:
Youre joking!!!!! How can they do that? These people are ruining football, first they ban standing now they ban smoking, next they'll be trying to ban rank burgers & bovril. :nono:

What he said. And I'm an ex smoker.

British Bulldog said:
Trust me edna as a smoker even I can admit there's nothing good about smoking because it's a disgusting habit and there's a lot of smokers like myself who would love to pack up but find it very hard to achieve. I went to a non smoking pub in Shoreham last year and really enjoyed it, where I would normally have gone through at least 10 - 15 fags I only smoked 2 because it meant going outside to smoke. The thing that really gets me is if the government are really so serious about this smoking issue , then why dont they just ban the import, sale and use of all tobacco products in this country? They wont because of the lost tax revenue's and they are only using the smoking issue as a vote winner.
If you went to a non smoking pub and was more than happy to smoke just 2 then there is hope for you yet, dont give up thinking about giving up, because you will one day, my step sister did.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
British Bulldog said:
The thing that really gets me is if the government are really so serious about this smoking issue , then why dont they just ban the import, sale and use of all tobacco products in this country? They wont because of the lost tax revenue's and they are only using the smoking issue as a vote winner.

Completely!

I guess if they banned smoking because of the effect on health, (1) it would upset people claiming it's their right to smoke, which I don't disagree with, and (2) you'd then get people saying ban alcohol, for example, as that's damaging too, and ban everything else. Where do you draw the line!

Apparently the ban in Ireland has worked better than expected, and the pubs- who feared they'd lose millions- have reported increased sales, rather than decreases.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
edna krabappel said:

Apparently the ban in Ireland has worked better than expected, and the pubs- who feared they'd lose millions- have reported increased sales, rather than decreases.

Ban came in in New Zealand when I was living over there and the same thing happened. Was much better.

Still don't think they should ban it at football though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Beach Hut said:
Why don't you try and give up BB ?

I'm hoping the smoking ban will help me BH. I've tried many times and the 2 places i'm more likely to start smoking again are at work or in a pub so maybe it will help. I get this big mental block around the 8 week stage and then I start looking for any excuse to start smoking again, I know it's stupid but I cant conquer it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
British Bulldog said:
I'm hoping the smoking ban will help me BH. I've tried many times and the 2 places i'm more likely to start smoking again are at work or in a pub so maybe it will help. I get this big mental block around the 8 week stage and then I start looking for any excuse to start smoking again, I know it's stupid but I cant conquer it.

I'll be pleased to get to a calender month which is the next goal.

I gave up around 5 years ago for 6 months then started again.

So far so good I had reservations about Chesterfield away as pub / beers etc but it was fine and I made sure I was in the company of non-smokers.

What sort of mental block is it ?

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
British Bulldog said:

I smoked 30 years Bully. 5 years off them now. It can be done.
40 a day or half an ounce I was on. Its tough but oh so worth it and I have little willpower really.

SheffGull

Feb 27, 2006
Sheffield
Smoking is a selfish disgusting habit. Why should i as a non smoker stand behind someone either at football or in a bus queue etc and have smoke bellow in my face from a selfish digusting ignorant git!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wondered- if you know you smoke, say twenty a day..

So tomorrow, make a conscious decision that you're only going to smoke 19, and you absolutely, won't buy any more than that. One less shouldn't make a difference to how you feel, should it?

Then the next day, only smoke 18. The next day 17.

In theory- twenty days later, and you've given up. Surely that would be easier than going from twenty to none, or even twenty to ten, overnight.

Or am I massively underestimating the pull of nicotine?

PS if anyone tries this and it works, I fully claim the copyright on the subsequent book deal
:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here