Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Charles to Marry

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Well Charles has made a nonsense of the monarchy already, making his mistress Princess Consort should he be crowned King will undoubtedly make the British Monarchy a bigger joke than it already is. Charles should allow the throne to go straight to William, at least then the British People would have somebody they respect and not someone who has already, in my view, tarnished the Throne

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Simster said:
How exactly? There are fee paying schools across various European republics that don't have the ridiculous class systems that we have.

What about if my kids have a talent for drama or music or whatever? I want to be able to give them the opportunity to develop those skills. What about those kids who need more one-to-one attention to get along? I might choose to pay simply to give them attention in smaller class rooms. My son is 3 - if he does need extra attention, then he hasn't got the time to wait for the state school system to change sufficiently to be able to provide him that.

I agree with the sentiment, but it's ridiculously idealistic.

Exactly why I put my two boys into fee paying schools. Couldn't help thinking at the time though that I shouldn't have to pay for my children to get the attention they need and wouldn't it be better if enough money was made available for everyone to benefit from having smaller classes. Surely the whole country would benefit in the long run.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
caz99 said:
Well Charles has made a nonsense of the monarchy already, making his mistress Princess Consort should he be crowned King will undoubtedly make the British Monarchy a bigger joke than it already is. Charles should allow the throne to go straight to William, at least then the British People would have somebody they respect and not someone who has already, in my view, tarnished the Throne

In general I agree with you (not the bit about the Monarchy being a joke) but if Charles did step down, the throne would pass to Andrew as Charles would abdicate for his line.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Man of Harveys said:
Abolishing fee-paying schools would have a much greater beneficial impact on this country's weird ancient class system than getting rid of the royals, IMHO.

True MoH. But making state schools more attractive than private schools would cost more than any government is willing to pay. And most politicians kids are not in the state system.

Mind you - I would start with allocating university entrance numbers in the ratio of pupils in state/private schools.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If there was any way of just having a King/Queen and next in line as Royalty I'd be happy with that. It's just the massive extended family of useless inbreds that may not be on the civil list but manage to blag a very privileged lifestlyle whilst doing F all that I can't happily accept.

Your not next in line to the throne? Well Feck off and get a job like the rest of us then :ohmy:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yorkie said:
In general I agree with you (not the bit about the Monarchy being a joke) but if Charles did step down, the throne would pass to Andrew as Charles would abdicate for his line.

Yorkie - you talk about that as fact. It is all made up as they go along. As we are witnessing. There are no hard and fast rules.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
How exactly? There are fee paying schools across various European republics that don't have the ridiculous class systems that we have.

What about if my kids have a talent for drama or music or whatever? I want to be able to give them the opportunity to develop those skills. What about those kids who need more one-to-one attention to get along? I might choose to pay simply to give them attention in smaller class rooms. My son is 3 - if he does need extra attention, then he hasn't got the time to wait for the state school system to change sufficiently to be able to provide him that.

I agree with the sentiment, but it's ridiculously idealistic.

Take Germany, for example (just because I was educated there for a while), there are (very few) fee-paying schools but they're very widely ignored, because the state education system is generally very good itself - they find the idea of shelling out a fortune just to have a slightly improved level of education utterly ludicrous.

A meritocratic education system based on children's musical or drama talents, with individual schools maximising the talentts of those who are strong in certain abilities, I could certainly live with. One which caters to whoever is fortunate enough to have rich parents is, if you were starting afresh, utterly indefensible.

If someone's son needs greater attention, that could and should also be provided by the state. But...to state that most people send their kids to private schools just to receive a better quality of actual education is, of course, just laughably naive: a better quality of posh classmates, accents and contacts later in life more like. I'd nationalise the lot tomorrow.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dick Knights Mum said:
Yorkie - you talk about that as fact. It is all made up as they go along. As we are witnessing. There are no hard and fast rules.

That is what happened when the Duke of Windsor wanted to marry a divorcee.
I always understood that was the constitution as laid down.

Now it appears it isn't.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
alan partridge said:
He's excellent, some of the comments he comes out with are top drawer! OK he may have offended a few countries but he's never killed anyone...that I know of.!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

If someone's son needs greater attention, that could and should also be provided by the state. But...to state that most people send their kids to private schools just to receive a better quality of actual education is, of course, just laughably naive: a better quality of posh classmates, accents and contacts later in life more like. I'd nationalise the lot tomorrow.

You are wrong, as I know plenty of people who did just that because the schools in their area were shite or they lived abroad. It is also worth noting that those that do educate their kids privately also contribute the same to the State as those who actually use the system.

Last edited:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Yorkie said:

yes but Charles could renounce his birthright and allow Prince William to be heir apparent

stranger things have happened. i wouldnt want the clown to be king

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dick Knights Mum said:
True MoH. But making state schools more attractive than private schools would cost more than any government is willing to pay. And most politicians kids are not in the state system.

Mind you - I would start with allocating university entrance numbers in the ratio of pupils in state/private schools.
Totally agree, again.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
Totally agree, again.

What happened to DKM's message in the first place? Or is she being demure?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
Take Germany, for example (just because I was educated there for a while), there are (very few) fee-paying schools but they're very widely ignored, because the state education system is generally very good itself - they find the idea of shelling out a fortune just to have a slightly improved level of education utterly ludicrous.

A meritocratic education system based on children's musical or drama talents, with individual schools maximising the talentts of those who are strong in certain abilities, I could certainly live with. One which caters to whoever is fortunate enough to have rich parents is, if you were starting afresh, utterly indefensible.
Meanwhile, the fact remains that I haven't got time to wait for state schooling to get as good as it is in Germany. Banning private schools isn't the answer until you've given me a credible alternative.

Man of Harveys said:
Wait until you have kids - you will then find that your last statement is a crock of shit. The home counties are awash with private schools - are you telling me they're full of snooties? That simply isn't the case. My local primary school is superb - so good in fact that the locals (most of whom live in million pound+ houses) nearly all use it, despite the fact that some of them will end up at Kings College, one of the poshest schools in SW London.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
Wait until you have kids - you will then find that your last statement is a crock of shit. The home counties are awash with private schools - are you telling me they're full of snooties? That simply isn't the case. My local primary school is superb - so good in fact that the locals (most of whom live in million pound+ houses) nearly all use it, despite the fact that some of them will end up at Kings College, one of the poshest schools in SW London.

OK, I'll just have to wait until I have kids before deciding to comment on anything whatsoever to do with them. I guess this means I have to wait until I'm 65 before being deemed qualified to talk about pensions, or maybe need to live in Africa and/or starve myself for a year or two before discussing about foreign aid. Teach me to get above my station eh? (Now piss off posho, I need to do some work)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with the 'wait til you have kids' line is that even you're case is a good one it makes you sound instantly insufferably 'superior' talking about people who don't have kids. Which of course you aren't. And of course they are every bit as entitled to their view.

Everyone knows having kids is a life-changing experience. It's a bit like saying 'you won't understand the dangers of having a paedophile next door until you've got kids'. I think you might.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I think the schools thing depends on your perspective. If I still lived in south London, I would have no other choice than to put my kids into a private school, as the local comprehensive was like Dodge City.

Now living back in sleepy saltdean however, means I am very happy for both of mine to be educated locally, and their results so far have entirely bourne me out.

However this subject has gone off way off topic ...

At least most privately educated kids still end up having to work, but going back to the Windsors, numerous members of the Royal family still dont have a proper day job, but still enjoy massive and unwarrranted privelege.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here