Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Charles to Marry

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Dick Knights Mum said:
..... tell that to the monarch who abdicated because he wanted to do what Charles is doing.

This is the one amusing thing - how it is all made up as they go along.

True, true.

"It is part of our constitution" is not an argument for maintaining the status quo though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dick Knights Mum said:
..... tell that to the monarch who abdicated because he wanted to do what Charles is doing.

This is the one amusing thing - how it is all made up as they go along.
:clap: :clap:

How has having a "flexible", unwritten constitution benefitted anybody else in this country except the Royal family?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dick Knights Mum said:
Come off it. Why is a contrary position resentment ?

Maybe resentment is a strong word. Knocking priviledges and position can come across that way.

I don't begrudge people their priviledges because of the family they were born into.

I do question the behaviour of those people ie Harry, and in this instance Charles but I don't question they money or tax concessions they have.

It is up to Parliament to change those tax concessions and priviledges.
Parliament is elected by the people.

(Not being an intellectual I know what I feel but have difficulty in expressing it :lolol: )

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Simster said:
:clap: :clap:

How has having a "flexible", unwritten constitution benefitted anybody else in this country except the Royal family?

I agree. I guess I was using this example to look to the future to argue that the "constitution" was not an argument for maintaining the status quo.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Simster said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3701086.stm

"An opinion poll conducted by Mori on behalf of Republic earlier this year suggested only 47% of Britons would want to keep the monarchy following the passing of the Queen."

Another quote from the same article

But 55% would prefer Prince Charles to become King rather than Britain getting an elected head of state, which polled only 31%.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yorkie said:
Another quote from the same article

But 55% would prefer Prince Charles to become King rather than Britain getting an elected head of state, which polled only 31%.
Indeed. Thanks for backing up my original point that 30% of the country (at least) is Republican.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dick Knights Mum said:
I don't think so. It is a lazy argument - trying to discredit the motives of the other person because the case can't be made.

It's the only one I am capable of. I haven't the words to say how I feel.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I can understand peoples resentment of the Royal Family but I can't subscribe to it.
IMO the Royals represent this Country, if you were to go through all the traditions we hold dear and discard them because 'they don't give anything back' then you take away the very essence of this country.
When I take my Kids to London and we see all the famous sites, I feel proud of my country, when I walk past Buckingham Palace my chest swells.

Maybe I will decide to join the anti Royalist bandwagon later on, maybe as a mature student :)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Abolishing fee-paying schools would have a much greater beneficial impact on this country's weird ancient class system than getting rid of the royals, IMHO.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Eggmundo said:
I can understand peoples resentment of the Royal Family but I can't subscribe to it.
IMO the Royals represent this Country, if you were to go through all the traditions we hold dear and discard them because 'they don't give anything back' then you take away the very essence of this country.
When I take my Kids to London and we see all the famous sites, I feel proud of my country, when I walk past Buckingham Palace my chest swells.

Maybe I will decide to join the anti Royalist bandwagon later on, maybe as a mature student :)

thats the whole thing though isnt it. they are supposed to represent the country but what example do they set carrying on like they do. its got bugger all to do with the heritage of this country now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
Abolishing fee-paying schools would have a much greater beneficial impact on this country's weird ancient class system than getting rid of the royals, IMHO.
How exactly? There are fee paying schools across various European republics that don't have the ridiculous class systems that we have.

What about if my kids have a talent for drama or music or whatever? I want to be able to give them the opportunity to develop those skills. What about those kids who need more one-to-one attention to get along? I might choose to pay simply to give them attention in smaller class rooms. My son is 3 - if he does need extra attention, then he hasn't got the time to wait for the state school system to change sufficiently to be able to provide him that.

I agree with the sentiment, but it's ridiculously idealistic.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Tradition - another weak argument.

We used to traditionally help round up people in Africa and send them of to the Americas as slaves.

It was traditional to send kids off to work down mines and in machines.

Traditionally only posh men had the vote.

Eggmundo

Jul 8, 2003
caz99 said:
thats the whole thing though isnt it. they are supposed to represent the country but what example do they set carrying on like they do. its got bugger all to do with the heritage of this country now.
They are Human, I don't think they act too bad?
Harry is a growing lad, he's going to make mistakes, Charles is Charles, Phillip is excellent, Queen keeps quiet and Wills has never put a foot wrong.
I can quite safely say I have done a lot worse.

They act a lot better than they use to, and they never had the press to contend with, not untill Charles the First .(Blood on our hands anyone?)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Simster said:
...only 47% of Britons would want to keep the monarchy following the passing of the Queen."

Following the passing of the Queen, I sincerely hope that most people would wipe, flush, and wash their hands.

Eggmundo

Jul 8, 2003
Highfields Seagull said:
Tradition - another weak argument.

We used to traditionally help round up people in Africa and send them of to the Americas as slaves.

It was traditional to send kids off to work down mines and in machines.

Traditionally only posh men had the vote.
Traditionally we have always had a Monarchy, that makes sense, your examples aren't traditoin.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eggmundo said:
Traditionally we have always had a Monarchy, that makes sense, your examples aren't traditoin.
Lets have a definition of "tradition", otherwise you guys are going to go round and round in circles on this one.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Eggmundo said:
They are Human, I don't think they act too bad?
Harry is a growing lad, he's going to make mistakes, Charles is Charles, Phillip is excellent, Queen keeps quiet and Wills has never put a foot wrong.
I can quite safely say I have done a lot worse.

They act a lot better than they use to, and they never had the press to contend with, not untill Charles the First .(Blood on our hands anyone?)

not interested in harry. charles is a hypocrite, why should be head of the christian church and spout on about divorcees not marrying in the eyes of god then do it himself. its always one rule for them and one rule for us. he is a weak snivelling idiot.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
caz99 said:
charles is a hypocrite, why should be head of the christian church

and spout on about divorcees not marrying in the eyes of god then do it himself.

When have you ever heard him 'spout on' about divorcees marrying ?? and also have you not heard him talk about all sorts of faiths - and particularly his self-styled 'defended of faiths' title ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here