Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Presidential Debate - Trump v Biden

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Sanders was consistently miles ahead of Trump in the polls he lost the nomination because the DNC rigged primaries for the second time in a row.
Biden was the establishment candidate and they made sure they got their man in.

That said, the candidate is now Biden and he represents a return to some semblance of conventional politics, the dull candidate that country needs now to regain its international reputation. I hope he wins and I hope he wins big. The key for progressives is to win the House and Senate battles and keep up the pressure on policy within the party.

Whilst I understand the frustration of some Sanders supporters with Biden, any that vote 3rd party or abstain will only be aiding Trump and that is unforgivable in my view.

Agree, Sanders vs Trump would be a very different kind of fight from what we are seeing and with plenty of evidence to suggest Sanders could have won. We'll never know how it would have panned out now of course.

But the strategy is clearly to get Biden in first (Sanders as very quick to endorse Biden) and then to concentrate on much needed reform of the Democratic party over time.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree, Sanders vs Trump would be a very different kind of fight from what we are seeing and with plenty of evidence to suggest Sanders could have won. We'll never know how it would have panned out now of course.

But the strategy is clearly to get Biden in first (Sanders as very quick to endorse Biden) and then to concentrate on much needed reform of the Democratic party over time.

Absolutely. Saw Sanders on Kimmel this morning and he will be out stumping for Joe until Election Day and he was very clear what he wanted his supporters to do. Now is not the time for political hissy fits (unless you are Trump of course)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yes. Me.

Of course Biden is stunningly uninspiring. Of course the Democrats could have done better. And in future I suspect they will.

But I believe he'll still win. And win comfortably enough that any kicking and screaming by Trump will not be taken seriously by any of those that matter (the people that will be in charge once the results are in). He'll go and I suspect he'll go without a real fight (although with a lot of noise).

And I believe that when he goes, his noisiest supporters on the ground will mostly melt away. They are only brave because they know that Trump has their back, because they feel protected. Without that protection they will retire, muttering, to their day to day lives.

And the vast majority of decent (if somewhat limited in terms of worldview) citizens in the US, who are not reflected in the images we get on our televisions and socal media channels will carry on living their lives, trying to get by as best they can, in a country which could be so much more than it is. A country which leaves the poor and the working class little space to think beyond their immediate neighbourhoods and immediate future.

Trump has been a distraction, a blip, in the true story of the USA, which I think is just one of long, slow decline.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Trump achieved this tonight.

attachment.php

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-09-30T10-26-06.376Z.png

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
With respect, please get off social media. I’m probably one of those “rednecks” that you’re callously referring to and this is a crap generalization and crap assumptions that those that don’t live in the south make. If southerners were as racist as you say you’d think most of the police shootings and riots would be in the southern states. Please, I’m asking you to be fair.

View attachment 128907

You clearly missed the Ts and Cs that say common sense and fairness have no place on NSC.

Nevertheless you are very welcome and keep it up.

From a Right wing racist, fascist, xenophobic and unintelligent moron.(Apparently)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sanders was consistently miles ahead of Trump in the polls he lost the nomination because the DNC rigged primaries for the second time in a row.

That said, the candidate is now Biden and he represents a return to some semblance of conventional politics, the dull candidate that country needs now to regain its international reputation. I hope he wins and I hope he wins big. The key for progressives is to win the House and Senate battles and keep up the pressure on policy within the party.

Whilst I understand the frustration of some Sanders supporters with Biden, any that vote 3rd party or abstain will only be aiding Trump and that is unforgivable in my view.

Biden is half a sandwich short of a picnic, he's not great, but I think as much as possible, the election needs to be framed in your wider view above.......
Forget which democrat is your favoured, or which strand of leftist politics most resonates with you.....forget even how good or bad Biden may be. None of that matters right now.

The only consideration is..... are you for Trump or are you for voting him OUT.

There's a whole republicans for Biden movement, for the same reasons.

The Sanders 'what ifs', the democrat policies, whatever.......forget everything else except getting this prick OUT...... and just simply vote for the only candidate who can remove this sick, odious, incompetent racist from office.

You could stick in a one armed, blind chimpanze as the democrat candidate and I'd vote for him.

Dump trump can only happen by voting Biden. And that is the only consideration, everything else will take care of itself and will be better than 4 more years of this total shambles.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
The original poster is absolutely right. He also didn't mention the south at all in his post. There is no other reason that any person that isn't very rich votes for Trump, other than plain and simple fear and racism.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
There is a ton to breakdown in your post, but in general in completely agree. I’ve read on here that Trump is a Hitler and Stalin and on areas of message boards that are more conservative that Trump is the greatest president ever. Even now I just got a BBC Sport notification that told me to meet the soccer player that left the US for Germany due to Trump and C19 (my wife is an ICU doctor working exclusively with C19 patients).

What I read on both spectrums of sports message boards is nothing like I experience in person. My black neighbor and I have exchanged numbers in case a Nashville riot gets out of hand and we need help if it gets close. When I left my job working for the second most diverse county in the country to go to grad school I was thrown a party where there are pics where I am the only white person in the picture.

The only county I’ve lived in where I’m not a minority was for two years in grad school. Not once have I had a racial argument and not once have I had a political argument. Nobody wants to say this for some reason, but the division in this country is socio-economic wnd not racial. And can’t tell you how many seltzer’s I’ve had and how many folks have put me on ignore as a racist so I should probably leave this thread alone.

This is nonsense. Race plays an equal, if not bigger, part in societal disparity in the US than class or socio economic factors. Black people are 3 times more likely to be killed by the police just for a starter:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...arceration-income-chetty-hendren-jones-porter

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Don't worry, it'll all be fine.

[tweet]1311003655156518913[/tweet]

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019

While I agree that the DNC wanted Biden, and it's true that they had their fingers on the scales a little, with the timed withdrawal and endorsement of Biden before the South Carolina election. To say it was rigged is not true, Biden got more votes. Bernie only appeared to be doing so well initially because of the number of people in the field. I say this as a Bernie supporter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm watching it now and I'm 25 mins in, they're talking about Covid.

The overwhelming impression I've got thus far is what a horrible, rude, arrogant, disrespectful man Donald Trump is. It's difficult to make any objective comment about what is being said because of the way Trump is behaving.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
@Pavillionaire . .anyone with the intelligence of a goldfish and up knew that already. I cannot think of a single redeeming characteristic the man has. In fact its direspectful to all men to call him one. IMO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
@Pavillionaire . .anyone with the intelligence of a goldfish and up knew that already. I cannot think of a single redeeming characteristic the man has. In fact its direspectful to all men to call him one. IMO.

I genuinely think he is mentally ill. The way he reacts to counter-argument and criticism is not normal, and it doesn't take much to get him to make spiteful remarks.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I genuinely think he is mentally ill. The way he reacts to counter-argument and criticism is not normal, and it doesn't take much to get him to make spiteful remarks.

The 'smart' bit was like listening to a child.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Was There not an article a while back either by, or referring to a psychologist who was basically saying the same thing.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/basics/president-donald-trump

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/25/donald-trump-applied-psychoanalysis-diagnosis/

I think he's proven, almost daily, he's not for for general employment, let alone high office.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Last night Trump told the right-wing extremist group Proud Boys to "Stand Back and Stand By".

I've just found out that Fred Perry have stopped selling their black polo shirt with yellow trim after Proud Boys adopted it as their uniform.

I have one of these in my wardrobe - it wasn't cheap, and now I can't wear it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

What amazes me is how paper thin his skin is. He literally cannot let anything go.

As you say though, I also think he's mentally ill. Originally, I thought it was an act to play up to his base (and to a large degree I think it still is) but some of the things he comes out with are the ravings of a mad man with no self control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here