Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier league teams to play 1 game abroad

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Could this be the beginning of the end for the smaller clubs?

At what point will the 'entry' criteria for the Premiership turn it into effectively an invitation league?

Of course that will happen - been saying it on here for years. If you're a businessman spending £100s of millions, you don't want the risk of relegation.

It won't be the end of lower league clubs though. Lower league footie here will probably become like College Football (gridiron) in the US - which is very, very popular and competitive.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Ive thaught ever since division one was renamed 'The Championship' that it would become the top league in the country. and with this new forign game being planned I think thats another step closer!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How long before they don't let anyone with less than 25,000 seats into the Premiership?

That counts us out or any club following in the path of Wimbledon or Northampton on the journey to the top.

Your only worried because of wanting to do the fans phone in from Hong Kong or Singapore:lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm asking as much as I'm doubting - is there really that much interest in games involving less famous Premiership clubs not playing a famous club? Otherwise, it'll be Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea playing abroad a lot more than Fulham/Bolton/Derby, presumably. Just very weird.

They're probably floating the idea; we were constantly being told that a European Superleague was inevitable for years and years but that idea's gone a bit quiet, at least for now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Loads of Americans and other foreign businessmen have now bought into the Premiership. In fact, I imagine the majority of Premiership clubs are now controlled by foreigners.

Given that fact, I think the chances of this completely wanky idea NOT happening must be about 2%.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Best put a disclaimer on that prediction, Simster. It's just your opinion and individual posters should consult Premiership chairmen themselves before relying on any advice.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Unlike gridiron & the NFL, all of these proposed countries have their OWN professional football leagues. If they want to watch football, let them watch their own local leagues.

It's a totally SHITHOUSE idea.

Would be my point exactly what a bunch of c.unts :censored:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry - bad joke. In memory of the interest rate thread. You gave a prediction of 2% so I said......

....ok, I'll get my coat.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Do you know, I think it has got to the stage with the bigger clubs that they don't even care about their fans...at all...by that I mean the ones who turn up at the stadium week in week out to watch live football. The income from the turnstiles must be relatively small in comparison to some of the global TV deals, not sure that this will be the nail in the coffin for football but if it goes ahead I thing fans might start voting with their feet and the half full stadium will be seen more often than in places like Middlesborough, Bolton and Blackburn.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They'll play 1-2 games involving Man U and Liverpool, there'll be a stupid amount of Sun/Sky Sports attendant hype about it ("Fergie OK's Asian pitches", that sort of drivel). Whereas Blackburn-Portsmouth will not be played in Shanghai any time in the near future...

Maybe the Premiership players will be looking forward to having some new countries' womenfolk to RAPE.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
the more i hear of the stupid ideas that bunch of punks have the more glad i am that we are not in that dumb league anymore. if we can play our football and prosper i wouldn't not be sorry if we never made it back to that sorry arsed state of a league.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the advantages. Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players." that there is just about everything that is wrong with the premiership in two sentences.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If it was a points-less exhibition game, or was one (or both, if they did two...) of your fixtures against a club it'd be OK, but this is just a pile of arse otherwise...

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Apparently all 10 fixtures is going to be played over one weekend in January in 5 different venues with one game on the Saturday and the other a Sunday.

Imagine the Carbon footprint all them teams are going to produce the week prior to that weekend jetting out to all these countries!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Before too long they'll be considering advert breaks every 15 minutes during a televised game. Your team is just about to score an open goal and the ref blows his whistle so that Sky can show 5 minutes of adverts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here