Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier league teams to play 1 game abroad

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
As if the gap between the Championship and the Premier League wasn't big enough as it is.

This extra revenue for the Top 20 will be the final nail in the coffin for English football.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
how strange.. what is the point?

istockphoto_869687_background_of_english_sterling_pound_notes.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
At what expense..

.. probably the league cup, then possibly the FA cup.

I really hope the real fans of these clubs are dead against it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one.

"The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said. "But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game.

Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead. "This is a chance for the Premier League to showcase its product around the world," added Bose. "Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the advantages. Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."

There is likely to be a big scramble for the right to host the extra games. "It will be like cities bidding for the Olympic Games or the World Cup," explained Bose.

Is Mihir Bose a complete pillock, or just blinded to this greed?

I know the man is there to offer an opinion, but he flies in the face of so many fans with this. Fans will, of course, be scratching their heads over this. No, actually, they'll be pissed off. So to say they'll understand and will actually benefit from this - will they bollocks. The clubs will make money, but what's in it for the fans? Sorry, there's a screw loose here.

The clubs will be laughing because, finally, they'll get to see that their fans are no longer their lifeblood, so all the while they inhabit the Premier League, why should they ever be a major consideration?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I really hope the real fans of these clubs are dead against it.

The clubs will be laughing because, finally, they'll get to see that their fans are no longer their lifeblood, so all the while they inhabit the Premier League, why should they ever be a major consideration?

Unfortunately, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U couldn't give a toss about real fans, as they don't really need them. An inconvenience taking up room in stadia that could be put to better use with another few hundered corporate executive suites filled with prawn sandwiches.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If anyone can present a sensible, coherent and persuasive argument in FAVOUR of these plans from a fans point of view, then I will personally buy and mail them a packet of Roast Beef Monster Munch.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If anyone can present a sensible, coherent and persuasive argument in FAVOUR of these plans from a fans point of view, then I will personally buy and mail them a packet of Roast Beef Monster Munch.

Can you send me the monster munch? Ill swap it for some hula hoops

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

With the extra revenue, all Premier League sides will DONATE £5 million each to good causes like world hunger, AIDS and protection of the rainforest.

Then I woke up.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Well a lifelong Man United fan in Tokyo has asked me to say that she's looking forward to seeing her idols in a competitive match for the first time.

If you send me the crisps, I'll post them on. Ta.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
This can't be true about the points bit. As I read it, that would mean some teams play each other 3 times a year (Home, away and abroad) and all points count. I'd be mighty f***ed off if my team went down on goal difference having drawn Man U in Dubai but the team that stayed up got Derby 3 times.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well a lifelong Man United fan in Tokyo has asked me to say that she's looking forward to seeing her idols in a competitive match for the first time.

If you send me the crisps, I'll post them on. Ta.
Hmmm...no, thats not persuaded me.
Does she do asian bukkake though ? That could swing it.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If the cities have to bid for the games and the highest bidder wins will Baghdad, Tehran and Kabul be allowed to enter? Then we'll really find out what these clubs will do for money.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Could this be the beginning of the end for the smaller clubs?

At what point will the 'entry' criteria for the Premiership turn it into effectively an invitation league?

Some years ago I recall the Police letting Kidderminster play West Ham in the cup at home then the Football League turned round and wouldn't let them go up into the 3rd Div as was saying the ground wasn't league standard.

How long before they don't let anyone with less than 25,000 seats into the Premiership?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here