Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't think it helps when Sky Sports seem a bit behind and post tweets that seem to merge everything into one:

[tweet]1259876670476972032[/tweet]

"Majority of the bottom six rumoured to have this position on one aspect of the return, we won't name them, meanwhile here are the names of six teams who have a stated position on a different aspect of the return"

(Edit: the tweet looks a little different on the website than in the embed above)

Easily amended though if they so wish. Something along the lines of ‘majority of the Premier League against neutral grounds so let’s just drop this daft idea and stop harassing fans of teams in the bottom six on their forums.’

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You’ve remained pretty constant on not wanting the PL to start again and fair enough ..but I’d ask would those for example tests have been used by say nhs workers if footballers don’t? It seems the government’s own target isn’t being hit with any regularity..but why? If clubs pay for it privately and it doesn’t divert tests that would have gone elsewhere is that wrong? Of course there remains loads of other questions over how a game can go ahead..but who knows where we will be at come two months time

I would think it would certainly divert resources from the NHS. Up until very recently official figures used one glove as one piece of PPE so any figures on total supply compared to total demand were complete fiction.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...ems-ppe-package-frontline-staff-12621746/amp/

Also, the NHS needs reserves to cope with the possibility of a second peak. For football to be competing in the same PPE marketplace using its wealth to pay up privately is rather distasteful.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Seems possible that a lot of those anti-neutral-ground voices have little to do with 'integrity of competition' however. They're just worried about losing revenue from sponsorship deals they have on their own stadiums. :ohmy:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I would think it would certainly divert resources from the NHS. Up until very recently official figures used one glove as one piece of PPE so any figures on total supply compared to total demand were complete fiction.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...ems-ppe-package-frontline-staff-12621746/amp/

Also, the NHS needs reserves to cope with the possibility of a second peak. For football to be competing in the same PPE marketplace using its wealth to pay up privately is rather distasteful.

Well perhaps that needs to be clarified along with the testing which my post refers too.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Seems possible that a lot of those anti-neutral-ground voices have little to do with 'integrity of competition' however. They're just worried about losing revenue from sponsorship deals they have on their own stadiums. :ohmy:
That would be an entirely reasonable position IMO.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Sky Sports News headline
‘Premier League: Majority of bottom-half clubs want relegation scrapped with neutral venue move likely’.

And in other news, Turkeys are requesting a ban on Christmas.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Now do the clubs that don’t want this kick up more fuss or give in?

I see the FA have said they won’t allow a voiding/no relegation.

Do they even have that much control over the PL?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm very sceptical of the whole 'no relegation' thing, in the sense that it is even as big an issue as the media are making it out to be. It was thrown in the mix quite early with no source, it was immediately denied that any such discussion took place. The most I've seen from a respectable journalist is that one club suggested it and it was immediately thrown out as an option. I feel like it is being pushed by less scrupulous parts of the media machine as a red herring to put pressure on the teams to agree to return.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Football in it's normal form is a powerful drug.

Football, with no fans, no atmosphere, just watched on telly, is poor. It always has been it always will be. It's one reason why in general people don't attend pre season friendlies in any large number.

I am sure there will be great excitement when the matches start again, but within ten minutes of watching they will realise this is a farce. This sin't normal football. We have all been to pre-season friendlies, paid £10 and then sat there thinking why I have come to this. It's not the same with no crowd or atmosphere. It's that simple.

And whoever gets relegated will have a very good case to take legal proceedings.

I agree,and you haven't even mentioned that there will be a whole host of restrictive measures going on on the pitch and sidelines, too,which will making it even more of a bore to watch. If it happened and we ended up getting relagated, for me the emotions of the game will have been so far removed that Im very confident I wouldn't give a shit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Football in it's normal form is a powerful drug.

Football, with no fans, no atmosphere, just watched on telly, is poor. It always has been it always will be. It's one reason why in general people don't attend pre season friendlies in any large number.

I am sure there will be great excitement when the matches start again, but within ten minutes of watching they will realise this is a farce. This sin't normal football. We have all been to pre-season friendlies, paid £10 and then sat there thinking why I have come to this. It's not the same with no crowd or atmosphere. It's that simple.

And whoever gets relegated will have a very good case to take legal proceedings.

I don’t think anyone is going to argue it’s not the same....it’s obvious ...however it just might be a necessary evil ..say no fans allowed in next season would you say the same then..because after that I’m not sure we will have the choice to watch the football on the same scale as we have done ..goodness knows where the current state of affairs leaves those in leagues one and two let alone non league.
I’d like to see the PL finish subject to the usual caveats and some of that dosh saved cascade down beyond the championship to the aforementioned.

BL back this weekend (as things stand)...I’ll watch if I get the chance..seeing a ball kicked around will be quite novel.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No idea, it happens sometimes. I used to think it was people writing in the wrong place, but then it happened to me and I know I didn't write in the wrong place.

Further update:
[tweet]1259866510627135499[/tweet]

So 12 teams, now. At least two of them have to be top-half teams.

All of them apparently

5e7813dc84ed477aaea3a997e69ab0a1.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apologies if this has been covered but looks like they've sorted the contracts issue as well?

Confirmed that clubs can extend this season's contracts past June until whatever the date of season finishing will be, once announced.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
My solution (not based on £££££):-

End season now for all divisions - use average points per game or whatever, to decide promotion / relegation/ Euro places.

Teams in play off positions to play BCD at an agreed venue. One leg SFs and a final 2 days later - to be arranged whenever safe to do so.
More even sharing of play off money / parachute payments among PO teams to allieviate uncertainty of not knowing which division they will be in for the following season (whenever that starts)

FA Cup - mini BCD tournament at Wembley ? if safe to do so as curtain raiser for next season.

Brilliant ? TV fairly happy. Some BCD games to watch on the box - but not too many to get bored with (and we should stay up !!)

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Apologies if this has been covered but looks like they've sorted the contracts issue as well?

Confirmed that clubs can extend this season's contracts past June until whatever the date of season finishing will be, once announced.

What if a player doesn’t want to extend their contract with their club?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

In Germany they have confirmed that for every test kit bought by the Bundesliga, they are donating 5 kits to their health service. If we do the same then it won't be a drain on the NHS, quite the opposite.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What if a player doesn’t want to extend their contract with their club?

Then they would leave the club and become a free agent, exactly the same as if a player lets their contract run out in "normal" times. I believe in our case it's only 3 or 4 players contracts up this summer (I seem to remember Schelotto, maybe Kayal?)

Be a slightly odd thing to do but we might see one or two I suppose? Florin Andone perhaps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here