Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm on the fence re Steele, always impressed against us, and played for us at Bournemouth. However, Ben Roberts and Potter see him every day...

Guessing you haven't watched series 1 of Sunderland Til I Die....erk.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
All Albion fans, bar Tony Bloom, would agree that the sooner we leave this elitist, money obsessed PL, the better. That dream may come true in June or July.

If they restart this ridiculous, crazy farce, irrespective of whether we stay up or go down, I'm not sure for how longer I want "in",
despite my love for the Albion. For the reasons outlined by you Weststander. It's a question of fairness and morals and the PL
are showing none.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tony Bloom, and me.

So that's 2.

Wouldn’t you love the Albion to leave the immoral money league, slagged off in countless hundred posts in this thread?

It’s not going to change, the thoughts of a few people on a football forum, pale into insignificance compared to the might of 20 big businesses, UEFA, massive broadcasters, sponsors and a global following.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
All Albion fans, bar Tony Bloom, would agree that the sooner we leave this elitist, money obsessed PL, the better. .

Your talking absolute rubbish again......stop saying ALL Albion fans.....I want us to remain in the Premier League, as do most fans who want to see the team they support play at the highest level.

Why is it you always want to put the boot in and see us get relegated? is it for a laugh or are you not really an Albion fan?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Wouldn’t you love the Albion to leave the immoral money league, slagged off in countless hundred posts in this thread?

It’s not going to change, the thoughts of a few people on a football forum, pale into insignificance compared to the might of 20 big businesses, UEFA, massive broadcasters, sponsors and a global following.
No - I want us to be as good as we can be for as long as possible... but at the same time it isn't the end of the world if we are not.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
However. Eyes on the prize. The difference between 6 weeks and 6 months could be many, many clubs going under, up and down the leagues. For this reason I'd support short term rules changes if we could get some football back on.

There are better and easier ways to help out smaller clubs than playing some bastardised game which is a bit like football and hoping enough people are hoodwinked to go along with it. Especially given even this ersatz football isn't going to make any money as it'll be behind closed doors anyway (face it, we aren't going back to the Amex for another 18 months yet).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There are better and easier ways to help out smaller clubs than playing some bastardised game which is a bit like football and hoping enough people are hoodwinked to go along with it. Especially given even this ersatz football isn't going to make any money as it'll be behind closed doors anyway (face it, we aren't going back to the Amex for another 18 months yet).

You realise almost all of clubs income comes from TV deals, right? The inground revenue makes up a very small percentage of club income.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

What are you basing ‘18 months’ on? It could be 6 it could be 24 so no let’s not ‘face it’ to a number you’ve just plucked out of thin air.

People don’t seem to grasp that clubs will go bust if this EPL season is not completed.
I can see good coming out of this though, if we have x months behind closed doors then maybe, just maybe, the football clubs and TV will start to appreciate just how important the match going fans actually are and might stop treating us like cattle.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You realise almost all of clubs income comes from TV deals, right? The inground revenue makes up a very small percentage of club income.

Less so lower down the leagues, however lower league chairmen, are banking on them being able to sell the match rights to make some income. Possibly, they'll reason that some loyal fans will pay for ppv right under these circumstances. It won't be many people and it won't be much money, but if just (say) 20 clubs go under, instead of 30 or 40 in the next couple of years, it will have been worth it

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Agreed but the EPL’s ‘product’ is going to become A LOT less appealing in empty stadiums and viewers not in the pub with their mates.
I think to complete this season they’ll get away with it, but next season, nope, TV subscriptions will nose dive.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Less so lower down the leagues, however lower league chairmen, are banking on them being able to sell the match rights to make some income. Possibly, they'll reason that some loyal fans will pay for ppv right under these circumstances. It won't be many people and it won't be much money, but if just (say) 20 clubs go under, instead of 30 or 40 in the next couple of years, it will have been worth it

Fair point - I was thinking only of Prem football with my comment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Even in League 2? Or the National League South? It's irritating how PL-focused so much of this discussion has become.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People don’t seem to grasp that clubs will go bust if this EPL season is not completed.
I can see good coming out of this though, if we have x months behind closed doors then maybe, just maybe, the football clubs and TV will start to appreciate just how important the match going fans actually are and might stop treating us like cattle.

The Premier League is one of the richest football organisations in the world. Some of the clubs in it have financial resources that would put many countries to shame. Conjuring up some farcical non-football ridiculousness is not the way to go about saving any club, the money is there to spread it around so get spreading. So Man City might not be able to pay a squillion quid for Neymar this summer, but they can keep the entire football league going for 12 months if they wanted to. Or, should I say, if they were forced to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even in League 2? Or the National League South? It's irritating how PL-focused so much of this discussion has become.

Could be wrong but my understanding is it’s only the Prem that’s fast tracking a return, hence why so much focus is on PL atm.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Guessing you haven't watched series 1 of Sunderland Til I Die....erk.

I have, but then I also saw him live playing for Blackburn and England U21s, rather than edited highlights.

Not every club is a good fit for a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Your talking absolute rubbish again......stop saying ALL Albion fans.....I want us to remain in the Premier League, as do most fans who want to see the team they support play at the highest level.

Why is it you always want to put the boot in and see us get relegated? is it for a laugh or are you not really an Albion fan?

Bit harsh Swindon, I always find [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tander to be very objective and as a passionate a fan as the next person.

That said, I too want us playing at the highest level, else why bother?

The only thing I don’t like is VAR and that will eventually be rolled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Today’s papers
Plans to resume the Premier League season will step up this week in what has been labelled "Project Restart".

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work on Monday.

The league is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July to fit in with Uefa's European competition plans. This would require full training to begin by 18 May.”
I have To say I find this optimistic. All the time that people are being infected and dying, I am not sure the public are ready to accept this. Just wait for the same papers to turn against “greedy clubs stressing the NHS”
Also what happens when a player tests positive? The team have to isolate and cannot play
Logistically what about travel, hotels for long distance fixtures. I guess they have to travel by coach.
Are all matches to be televised free, that would be nice but I doubt it .....and 10 Live games in a weekend?? Non football fans would hate that....
If I am wrong and it all works then I will be glad ....but ???

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We're going to end up with something a bit like table football, I reckon.

Players won't be allowed within two metres of each other, so why not make it easier to manage that and simply strap/leash them to posts/bars etc, so each player is only able to move a limited distance from their stake. Then teams have to try and work the ball up the pitch towards the opposition's goal, like some sort of hybrid combination of a Playstation/Table Football game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here