Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If that and it’s an if from what I know currently then you might as well not bother.....as an aside from the PL ive listened to players further down the pyramid who want to get back .....might not if this bit about turning your head away bit is true

Down the leagues players have lower incomes and could see serious hardship if their income disappeared. Some of the conversations they may be having in their heads with themselves may not be too far away from the thoughts some people (mostly vulnerable women) may have when contemplating joining the ranks of the world's oldest profession, owing to circumstances and the salvation offered by the rewards. One may be able to justify it in one's own mind. But it isn't right.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Down the leagues players have lower incomes and could see serious hardship if their income disappeared. Some of the conversations they may be having in their heads with themselves may not be too far away from the thoughts some people (mostly vulnerable women) may have when contemplating joining he ranks of the world's oldest profession, owing to circumstances and the salvation offered by the rewards. One may be able to justify it in one's own mind. But it isn't right.

Extending furlough will help give them more time ...apart from those out of contract...I’ll not get into another debate over rights and wrongs ,,,said my views and it’s just going over old ground...my point was that it was great to have some of the spotlight further down the football pyramid and that not all footballers can be grouped together

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If that and it’s an if from what I know currently then you might as well not bother.....as an aside from the PL ive listened to players further down the pyramid who want to get back .....might not if this bit about turning your head away bit is true

Just to clarify with your 'might as well not bother' comment. Is that referenced to me or to restarting the EPL?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
cant we finish using the pools panel?

I've suggested Subbuteo matches. But no one is listening.

poker_PNG104.png #teambloom

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm glad about latest developments. At risk of sounding like a cracked record....

Footballers are not key workers so they should be social distancing and staying at home, not showering each other in sweat, spit and snot.

They are not legally bound to dance for our pleasure and amusement.

They can resume playing when they can be tested daily - before they mix or play, with their licence to play granted only if proven uninfected on the day.

Behind closed doors.

Anything else that limits their family-life or freedom of movement had to be agreed with the players. Their families lives are at stake (for our amusement and entertainment).

And there has been a whole lake of weasel piss mooted about this by people, some of whom have sufficient brains to know better (along with a parade of dicks, some paid for their 'opinions', who never will).

No-one can and will force them, the PL are doing everything they can to mitigate the risks but you will never be able to fully make the risk zero so I guess it's the level of risk the players individually or collectively are willing to take.

I do wonder though if they agree they're not willing to play who they expect to pick up the tab of their wages. £26m+ collectively each week, if the risks are too great to play in month I don't see how the risks will materially be any different in 6 months, if we weren't to play again this year that's £952 million in wages someone has to pick up and it could affect the PLs ability to make solidarity payments with no significant revenue incoming which would put plenty of lower League clubs out of business.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Reports now on the radio that the PL have to 'pay back' broadcasters even if games are played behind closed doors ?

Which seems to take the whole financial reason for restarting the league away ?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
No-one can and will force them, the PL are doing everything they can to mitigate the risks but you will never be able to fully make the risk zero so I guess it's the level of risk the players individually or collectively are willing to take.

I do wonder though if they agree they're not willing to play who they expect to pick up the tab of their wages. £26m+ collectively each week, if the risks are too great to play in month I don't see how the risks will materially be any different in 6 months, if we weren't to play again this year that's £952 million in wages someone has to pick up and it could affect the PLs ability to make solidarity payments with no significant revenue incoming which would put plenty of lower League clubs out of business.

I'm sure Roman Abramovich could have a rummage down the back of his sofa and find a spare £952m to help all the clubs out!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm sure Roman Abramovich could have a rummage down the back of his sofa and find a spare £952m to help all the clubs out!

So why should Abramovich pay the wages of already incredibly rich footballers to sit at home (or for the likes of Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish to ignore the social distancing rules) and do nothing while the rest of the country has to go back to work??

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
So why should Abramovich pay the wages of already incredibly rich footballers to sit at home (or for the likes of Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish to ignore the social distancing rules) and do nothing while the rest of the country has to go back to work??

I was being sarcastic.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lol.

They can't resist breaking lockdown.

The quarantine bubble is going to go well !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Reports now on the radio that the PL have to 'pay back' broadcasters even if games are played behind closed doors ?

Which seems to take the whole financial reason for restarting the league away ?

£380M apparently..

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

This is a finite problem though. These over inflated, ridiculous contracts will run down and those players can be moved on if they are unwilling to accept the new reality.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

My personal view is that players should be able to opt out if they have safety concerns. This should be structured as a temporary contract break, and reviewed again after 6 months. If the situation is better, their contracts will resume.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Hahaha, good one. On a wind-up!:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here