Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's ok then, you don't like then, so they should potentially risk their or someone else's life for that very valid reason!

Maybe the whine on here is a majority view, I don't know, but everyone has a right to be heard...
But then Rose is saying it shouldn’t even be talked about? Opposite of what you are saying (which I agree with)..it’s also kinda rich coming from someone who moaned a heck of a lot about not being paid enough dosh when at Tottenham....thought he was on a fair whack myself...but hark at me judging :D

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My point is that resumption should be down to a medical thumbs up, not when the PL bods deem it hot to trot.

Yes fair enough ..but TB come is to the category of owner ..money man.....and hasn’t PB for one said only to come back when safe? Of course this definition of safe is going is going to be interesting..but that’s the same for every other industry

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tony Bloom?

In that now famous PB interview of Monday last week, he admitted it is about the money, they’re a business. Who of us could argue against TB? It’s not fans who’ll have to make staff redundant, cut business with very dependent local suppliers and require that TB has to subsidise the club to an even greater extent.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But then Rose is saying it shouldn’t even be talked about? Opposite of what you are saying (which I agree with)..it’s also kinda rich coming from someone who moaned a heck of a lot about not being paid enough dosh when at Tottenham....thought he was on a fair whack myself...but hark at me judging :D

I totally agree that some, not ALL footballers are detached from reality, we could all name a few, I'm sure...

However, this does not give anyone the right to expect them to entertain us during a time of national emergency, possibly putting their or others lives at risk.

It's not exactly Christian's versus Lions*, but it's heading that way!

* Pools panel says Away win.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I totally agree that some, not ALL footballers are detached from reality, we could all name a few, I'm sure...

However, this does not give anyone the right to expect them to entertain us during a time if national emergency.

It's not exactly Christian's versus Lions*, but it's heading that way!

* Pools panel says Away win.

I never heard much complaint when we involved in war against Iraq...etc.....should comedians stop work because we shouldn’t be entertained?
......when is it ok? ....down to zero deaths....just putting it out there

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You are right I am.

The serious bit is the definition of safe.....totally? I wonder when ...it will be a judgement call....just like most of life to a degree

I really don't know the answer to that question. And know it won't be at zero deaths, it just seems at the moment there is an indecent haste to resume.

The discussion had been had that football clubs are just businesses, but couldn't the same be said about every theatre, cinema or other entertainment venue, all of which could go up the swanny...

It's just that football can be played without the audience I guess, because of the obscene amounts of money pumped into it...!

I have long said the likes of Sky aren't interested in fans, hence the often ridiculous kick off times (Newcastle, Sunday 5pm), so what if the fans can't get home, they can stay at home and pay to watch it... All they are interested in is the EPL product, and the revenue it brings them... And the EPL have become TV's lapdogs.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My company are registered as key workers, when we were told about the possibility of lockdown, we were asked if we were prepared to work, we all said yes to start with, when lockdown started 6 were advised not to work due to underlying health problems. We were asked again about being prepared to work, we all said yes, since lockdown we have had a total of 14 staff furloughed, due to not being needed, and 7 sent home at different periods due to having symptoms. The reason I'm putting this in is that I believe that my job role is that of a key worker, but a footballer definitely not. Some of the places that I go to should not be open but they still are though.

Same here I have been classed as a key worker doing H&S / insurance inspections, I would rather not go to certain places and would rather be safe and sound at home.

Many companies are open because of very tenuous links, apparently they can stay open if they supply MOD or NHS, one place I was at the other day were working because they supplied kitchen worktops to the MOD for married quarters!!!!! ( a very small amount of worktops of the total produced but MOD nevertheless.)

The country should have had a proper shutdown not the half arsed attempt we had.

Last edited:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Same here I have been classed as a key worker doing H&S / insurance inspections, I would rather not go to certain places and would rather be safe and sound at home.

Many companies are open because of very tenuous links, apparently they can stay open if they supply MOD or NHS, one place I was at the other day were working because they supplied kitchen worktops to the MOD for married quarters!!!!! ( a very small amount of worktops of the total produced but MOD nevertheless.)

The country should have had a proper shutdown not the half arsed attempt we had.

Yes I agree with the proper shutdown, also it may have been easier to get people back to work by saying what can open, instead we have work from home still, but it you can't work from home go to work.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But the best players would then go where the money is, and who can blame them. So the attraction of the EPL is diminished to broadcasters and they will look elsewhere at other leagues.

I get that, hence the 'dreamland' observation but the reality in football across the world is that unfettered player wages at the top level has had a disastrous trickle-down effect in leagues of all the major footballing-player nations.

Champions League money guarantees the same elite clubs dominate the European Leagues, so it's all fairly predictable. A key ingredient for the Premier League is the relegation dogfight; Liverpool will have this title wrapped up within the first couple of matches, leaving 7 rounds with 6 clubs scrapping for 3 places. This 2019/20 circus will continue until 3 go down because the Prem needs relegation.

The Saudis will take over Newcastle and not only will that lock down another top half position next season but it will raise the transfer and wages stakes even higher, and the madness with continue.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Rose is no doubt conscious of the established fact that BAME people are in more danger from the virus. I hope the PL money men have taken account of that. Whatever happens the absolute bottom line must be that no player is penalised for refusing to play in these circumstances.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I never heard much complaint when we involved in war against Iraq...etc.....should comedians stop work because we shouldn’t be entertained?
......when is it ok? ....down to zero deaths....just putting it out there

The BBC radio did stop playing any song that could be in anyway connected to war or killing during the first Gulf War

Song Artist Year
"(I Just) Died in Your Arms" Cutting Crew 1986
"Act of War" Elton John and Millie Jackson 1985
"Armed and Extremely Dangerous" First Choice 1973
"Army Dreamers" Kate Bush 1980
"Atomic" Blondie 1979
"Back in the U.S.S.R" The Beatles 1968
"Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)" The Temptations 1970
"Bang Bang" B. A. Robertson 1979
"Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" Cher 1966
"Billy Don't Be a Hero" Paper Lace 1974
"Boom Bang-a-Bang" Lulu 1969