Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Given all the “science” the government is supposed to be following, how on earth can 23 men on a football pitch possibly not be in contravention?

I can’t travel in to London on a train to go to work because of social distancing. But you can play a football match?

My personal view is that we should not over focus on daily rates, come steadily out of lockdown and follow common sense. But common sense goes straight out of the window with this.

Do Clarke and his cronies not realise how ridiculous this looks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I totally agree that some, not ALL footballers are detached from reality, we could all name a few, I'm sure...

However, this does not give anyone the right to expect them to entertain us during a time of national emergency, possibly putting their or others lives at risk.

It's not exactly Christian's versus Lions*, but it's heading that way!

* Pools panel says Away win.

Yes, but think of the MORALE boost we'll get from staying tuned to see if Daniel can escape alive.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Now players are to be told 'turn your face away when tackled'
FFS whatever next?
[tweet]1260269107867521024[/tweet]

If this is genuinely true, then that is it, how the **** can you ask players to do that? How could you ask Lewis Dunk to look away when he is throwing his body in front of another shot to block it.

If and it is a big IF this is genuine, then there really is no way football can continue at the moment!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Rose is no doubt conscious of the established fact that BAME people are in more danger from the virus. I hope the PL money men have taken account of that. Whatever happens the absolute bottom line must be that no player is penalised for refusing to play in these circumstances.

Oh dear! Have you not realised the money men don't care a shit as long as they get their product...

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Utterly laughable if this is even being considered. How can the 'football' have any integrity at all ?

Not to mention surely some danger relating to not being fully focussed on surroundings. Maybe next up will be the requirement for referees to not look at the action unless a certain distance away

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Now players are to be told 'turn your face away when tackled'
FFS whatever next?
[tweet]1260269107867521024[/tweet]
In which case can they ask the referee to do the same thing as the tackles will be dangerous. This new rule would have put years on my playing days as I normally took the player and not the ball.

I was always coached in all sports to keep my eye on the ball how things have changed.

Please just bin the season this is just becoming an embarrassment.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I really don't know the answer to that question. And know it won't be at zero deaths, it just seems at the moment there is an indecent haste to resume.

The discussion had been had that football clubs are just businesses, but couldn't the same be said about every theatre, cinema or other entertainment venue, all of which could go up the swanny...

It's just that football can be played without the audience I guess, because of the obscene amounts of money pumped into it...!

I have long said the likes of Sky aren't interested in fans, hence the often ridiculous kick off times (Newcastle, Sunday 5pm), so what if the fans can't get home, they can stay at home and pay to watch it... All they are interested in is the EPL product, and the revenue it brings them... And the EPL have become TV's lapdogs.

I’m not sure anyone does....its a word that is used a lot ...but no one seems to have set the parameters ....moving on from PL...there was an interview with Lee Bowyer tonight and a player from the football league and about time more focus was down there....without wishing to judge Rose he can afford to take a stance knowing ‘hes made’ but those in league one and two etc need to earn a crust a tad harder for them ...also to be heard (on both sides).

I’d like to watch football I’ve made no secret of that....but if i have to wait so be it....finish the season yes....but i dont believe we have to set a date yet.....the next one just has to be shifted along it necessary...bin winter break...bind internationals...bin carrabao cup ..bin the European comps ...bin preseason friendlies....that’ll create a fair bit of time...reduce drastically the amount agents get (the poor lambs) ...push money down the pyramid...cut wages ...etc
Anyway :thumbsup: to you

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The BBC radio did stop playing any song that could be in anyway connected to war or killing during the first Gulf War

Song Artist Year
"(I Just) Died in Your Arms" Cutting Crew 1986
"Act of War" Elton John and Millie Jackson 1985
"Armed and Extremely Dangerous" First Choice 1973
"Army Dreamers" Kate Bush 1980
"Atomic" Blondie 1979
"Back in the U.S.S.R" The Beatles 1968
"Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)" The Temptations 1970
"Bang Bang" B. A. Robertson 1979
"Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" Cher 1966
"Billy Don't Be a Hero" Paper Lace 1974
"Boom Bang-a-Bang" Lulu 1969
"Brothers in Arms" Dire Straits 1985
"Buffalo Soldier" Bob Marley and the Wailers 1983
"Burning Bridges" Status Quo 1988
"The End of the World" Skeeter Davis 1962
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" Tears for Fears 1985
"Fields of Fire" Big Country 1982
"Fire" The Crazy World of Arthur Brown 1968
"Flash" Queen 1980
"Fools Rush In" Ricky Nelson 1963
"Forget Me Not" Martha and the Vandellas 1968
"Ghost Town" The Specials 1981
"Gimme Hope Jo'anna" Eddy Grant 1988
"Give Peace a Chance" Plastic Ono Band 1969
"Heaven Help Us All" Stevie Wonder 1979
"Hunting High and Low" A-ha 1985
"I Don't Like Mondays" The Boomtown Rats 1979
"I Don't Want to Be a Hero" Johnny Hates Jazz 1987
"I Shot the Sheriff" Eric Clapton 1974
"I Will Survive" Arrival 1980
"I'll Fly for You" Spandau Ballet 1984
"I'm Gonna Get Me a Gun" Cat Stevens 1967
"I'm on Fire" Bruce Springsteen 1984
"Imagine" John Lennon 1971
"In the Air Tonight" Phil Collins 1981
"In the Army Now" Status Quo 1986
"Israelites" Desmond Dekker and the Aces 1968
"Killer Queen" Queen 1974
"Killing Me Softly with His Song" Roberta Flack 1973
"Light My Fire" José Feliciano 1968
"A Little Peace" Nicole 1982
"Living on the Front Line" Eddy Grant 1979
"Love Is a Battlefield" Pat Benatar 1983
"Midnight at the Oasis" Maria Muldaur 1974
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" Joan Baez 1971
"Oliver's Army" Elvis Costello 1979
"Rubber Bullets" 10cc 1973
"Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town" Kenny Rogers and The First Edition 1969
"Sailing" Rod Stewart 1972
"Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" Elton John 1973
"Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground)" Mike + The Mechanics 1985
"Sixty Eight Guns" The Alarm 1983
"Soldier of Love" Donny Osmond 1989
"State of Independence" Donna Summer 1982
"Stop the Cavalry" Jona Lewie 1980
"Suicide Is Painless" M*A*S*H 1970
"Two Tribes" Frankie Goes to Hollywood 1984
"Under Attack" ABBA 1982
"A View to a Kill" Duran Duran 1985
"Walk Like an Egyptian" The Bangles 1986
"War" Edwin Starr 1970
"War Baby" Tom Robinson 1982
"Warpaint" The Brook Brothers 1961
"Waterloo" ABBA 1974
"We Gotta Get Out of This Place" The Animals 1965
"When I'm Dead and Gone" McGuinness Flint 1970
"When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going" Billy Ocean
Oh very good I’d forgotten that

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Which sounds?

Exactly. First we are told that it's neutral grounds or no football and when they don't win that argument, they apparently abandoned the vote and suddenly all 20 are against neutral grounds. We are now seeing more and more players sticking their heads above the parapet and expressing major concerns about restarting. If the players refuse to play under the new 'guidelines' then that's it.

If these season has ended because no one will accept the goal posts being moved mid competition then abandon it and plan for how to apply the rules to the start of the next season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly. First we are told that it's neutral grounds or no football and when they don't win that argument, they apparently abandoned the vote and suddenly all 20 are against neutral grounds. We are now seeing more and more players sticking their heads above the parapet and expressing major concerns about restarting. If the players refuse to play under the new 'guidelines' then that's it.

If these season has ended because no one will accept the goal posts being moved mid competition then abandon it and plan for how to apply the rules to the start of the next season.

Auguerro..Murray ..Rose....what others...i seemed to have missed some then

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Auguerro..Murray ..Rose....what others...i seemed to have missed some then

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...remier-league-executives-over-project-restart

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...t-concerns-paper-round_sto7746607/story.shtml

https://www.skysports.com/football/...t-final-say-on-return-to-training-and-playing

In terms of individuals that have come out and commented, add Tyrone Mings and Raheem Sterling. You may recall that Barber was the first to stick his head above the parapet about neutral grounds and now all 20 clubs are against it!

Can you see players accepting ridiculous suggestions like turning away when you are tackled etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...remier-league-executives-over-project-restart

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...t-concerns-paper-round_sto7746607/story.shtml

https://www.skysports.com/football/...t-final-say-on-return-to-training-and-playing

In terms of individuals that have come out and commented, add Tyrone Mings and Raheem Sterling. You may recall that Barber was the first to stick his head above the parapet about neutral grounds and now all 20 clubs are against it!

Can you see players accepting ridiculous suggestions like turning away when you are tackled etc.

If that and it’s an if from what I know currently then you might as well not bother.....as an aside from the PL ive listened to players further down the pyramid who want to get back .....might not if this bit about turning your head away bit is true

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm glad about latest developments. At risk of sounding like a cracked record....

Footballers are not key workers so they should be social distancing and staying at home, not showering each other in sweat, spit and snot.

They are not legally bound to dance for our pleasure and amusement.

They can resume playing when they can be tested daily - before they mix or play, with their licence to play granted only if proven uninfected on the day.

Behind closed doors.

Anything else that limits their family-life or freedom of movement had to be agreed with the players. Their families lives are at stake (for our amusement and entertainment).

And there has been a whole lake of weasel piss mooted about this by people, some of whom have sufficient brains to know better (along with a parade of dicks, some paid for their 'opinions', who never will).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here