Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 9-12/4/21

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Red all day IMO.
And there you have it! Commentator says the LEEDS are the only team that could possibly hold this lead.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Can’t get much more of a blatant red card. The definition of excessive force.

Define ‘excessive force’ I’ve never understood that nonsense, if he’d be slightly ‘less forceful’ he might not have won the ball cleanly as he’d have been there a few seconds later :shrug: it’s the same as ‘dangerous play’ anything can be dangerous in certain instances and tackles slowed down to the frame rate VAR look at them quite often look bad.

Why are VAR interfering with judgement calls like that? When it was brought in we were told it was for howlers.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
If that had been, say, Pogba last weekend, this board would be unanimous in demanding a red

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
So if the ball is off the ground you can’t tackle?

Not jumping in studs up like that, yes you're taking the ball but also going through it and taking out the player. Seems a harsh one, but i agree with the red. A player cant really use the 'but i got the ball' stance if they're diving in studs up at knee height and also take out the player.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Define ‘excessive force’ I’ve never understood that nonsense, if he’d be slightly ‘less forceful’ he might not have won the ball cleanly as he’d have been there a few seconds later :shrug: it’s the same as ‘dangerous play’ anything can be dangerous in certain instances and tackles slowed down to the frame rate VAR look at them quite often look bad.

Why are VAR interfering with judgement calls like that? When it was brought in we were told it was for howlers.

Both feet off the ground, no control of the tackle.

Red card.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So if the ball is off the ground you can’t tackle? He won the ball, barely even made contact with the city player, it’s another judgement call made by the referee interfered with by VAR, another decision that goes in the column of ‘could be/couldn’t be’ so just go with the referees first opinion, any tackle slowed down like that looks bad.

All to do with angle of trajectory. He knew he was going in hard and flat (so forceful). All players know what is a potentially dangerous tackle and what isn’t - split second decision but he went for the wrong type of tackle almost on purpose to leave a bit on their player for me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
See what I mean though, lots of different opinions on it, from what I’ve seen on Twitter it’s probably about 60/40 in favour of the red card, is that a clear an obvious error by the referee? He’s standing 5 yards away and witnessed the tackle at full speed and deemed it a yellow.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sort of tackle you make in sunday league and scream 'I got the ball ref!' Sort of tackle that would have been fine 25 years ago. The rules have changed since then though.

It was knee high, studs up, he came flying in and had no control. Not a mystery it's a red. If that had been put on a Brighton player there'd be uproar and unanimous consensus on here that it was a red.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sort of tackle you make in sunday league and scream 'I got the ball ref!' Sort of tackle that would have been fine 25 years ago. The rules have changed since then though.

It was knee high, studs up, he came flying in and had no control. Not a mystery it's a red. If that had been put on a Brighton player there'd be uproar and unanimous consensus on here that it was a red.

You haven’t noticed the different rules for different teams then? If that had been Maguire on Maupay it wouldn’t have been over turned, the inconsistencies around VAR are disgraceful because as usual, decisions are always going to come down the human element despite the fact VAR was meant to eradicate howlers and obvious errors

If that one is a clear and obvious error, please enlighten me how the Maguire incident on Welbeck wasn’t?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cooper's foot position clinched it as a red for me. If he'd have wanted to clear the ball, his foot would have been rotated round the ball but it was open and 'studs first'. The prat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here