Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 30/11 - 1/12

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
He did some great things here but let’s not pretend him staying was an option. Any other premier league manager goes on that kind of run they are losing their job (Potter included). He had ran out of ideas and had lost the players who were tired of the negative approach you don’t have to do too much reading between the lines to see that clearly.

Feel free to spend the rest of the season pining after a manager our owner decided was not the man to take us forward but may I suggest you might enjoy proceeding a little more by getting behind the new guy

As i pointed out on the Hughton to West Ham thread - Sean Dyche went on the same nosedive from August to December last season and wasn't sacked. Dyche was convinced he was going to be sacked - Burnley were getting drilled week in and week out.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Two of our stand out players brought through from the u23s. A few new players who have said it was Potter and his style that persuaded them to sign (trossard, maupay and mooy have all said that). One player who didn't get a look in last season but is now regularly starting.

Not knocking CH at all, he did fantastically well for us, but when you've got attack minded players camped in your own half ( wingers basically playing as extra full backs) and looking scared to actually attack, then the writing's on the wall imo
Both Alzate and Connolly were injured last season and when Connolly recovered in April he couldn't get into a team in League One. The claims about Hughton not playing the kids is false. Potter had planned sending connolly out on loan until David Weir persuaded him not to after seeing Connolly playing for the Irish U21s at the Toulon tournament in June.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As i pointed out on the Hughton to West Ham thread - Sean Dyche went on the same nosedive from August to December last season and wasn't sacked. Dyche was convinced he was going to be sacked - Burnley were getting drilled week in and week out.

Burnley were playing in the europa league with a wafer thin squad off the back of a season finishing 7th hardly comparable is it. They are also a whopping 3 points ahead of us this season having just got schooled at home by Crystal Palace so Christ only knows why you are holding them up as some example of why we should have hung onto CH.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

During Burnley’s knackering Europa League campaign, playing Thursdays, whilst most PL opponents had a lovely 6 days rest to prepare to play them. Once over, Dyche thrived yet again.

Unless you have a quality squad such as ManU, Chelsea or Wolves, the Europa League invariably has a car crash impact on PL results.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
During Burnley’s knackering Europa League campaign, playing Thursdays, whilst most PL opponents had a lovely 6 days rest to prepare to play them. Once over, Dyche thrived yet again.

Unless you have a quality squad such as ManU, Chelsea or Wolves, the Europa League invariably has a car crash impact on PL results.

Burnley were out of the Europa Cup in August after they lost to Olympiakos in the play-off - they didn't play in the group stages and the slide effectively started with their 3-1 defeat to Olympiakos on 23 August.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You’re correct. Apologies.

I get that there are reasons to justify Hughton's sacking. I think it was a mistake - continuity counts for a lot in the PL when you are a 'small' club - Burnley and Bournemouth have proven this (and to a lesser extent Palace).

I don't agree with Hughton's sacking - I think that after getting over the two year struggle phase for promoted clubs Hughton would have kicked on. Changing pretty much everything that is happening on the pitch is risky - Potter is an unproven entity - the style of play is risky - and the defence is not as solid as it needs to be. Hopefully it won't all go belly-up - but that is a risk - and a level head is needed. Two seasons ago Everton were trying to poach Silva from Watford - they failed but a few months later Watford sacked him - he was hired by Everton and it looks like that was a mistake too. Finding the right fit for the job is massive in football - inevitably it will come to an end - but I believe Hughton was the right fit here and I don't think it had to end last season. Time will tell if Potter is the right fit for Brighton.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't agree with Hughton's sacking - I think that after getting over the two year struggle phase for promoted clubs Hughton would have kicked on. Changing pretty much everything that is happening on the pitch is risky - Potter is an unproven entity

Under Hughton last season this point was as good as it got, we went massively down hill after Xmas. Assuming Potter can better our dismal second half performance then it’ll be an improvement.

I like Hughton to the Poch scenario, good manager but been at the club for too long for both parties need to move on. No drama or biggie

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Under Hughton last season this point was as good as it got, we went massively down hill after Xmas. Assuming Potter can better our dismal second half performance then it’ll be an improvement.

Yes it will - and then Potter will face the challenge of keeping it going next season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well that scummers comeback tops off a shit day results wise. All those praising our lovely football and new approach won’t be so vocal when in 2 matches times we will quite conceivably be in the bottom 3. Saints have 2 very winnable games next and we have 2 very tricky ones. Anyone who thought we wouldn’t be flirting with the bottom 3 with that strike force is deluded.
Have you seen Villa's next 3 fixtures ?

Or Everton's next 3 fixtures ?

???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I get that there are reasons to justify Hughton's sacking. I think it was a mistake - continuity counts for a lot in the PL when you are a 'small' club - Burnley and Bournemouth have proven this (and to a lesser extent Palace).

I don't agree with Hughton's sacking - I think that after getting over the two year struggle phase for promoted clubs Hughton would have kicked on. Changing pretty much everything that is happening on the pitch is risky - Potter is an unproven entity - the style of play is risky - and the defence is not as solid as it needs to be. Hopefully it won't all go belly-up - but that is a risk - and a level head is needed. Two seasons ago Everton were trying to poach Silva from Watford - they failed but a few months later Watford sacked him - he was hired by Everton and it looks like that was a mistake too. Finding the right fit for the job is massive in football - inevitably it will come to an end - but I believe Hughton was the right fit here and I don't think it had to end last season. Time will tell if Potter is the right fit for Brighton.

All about opinions.

My instinct tells me that Potter will be a success IF he can keep us up this season. I agree with you partly when you reference the over the top comments made a few weeks ago that we’d finish in a very lofty position. But you have to admire their glass-half-full look on life. I suspect we’ll be in the wider relegation mix, but in the end will survive comfortably.

All guess work, not one of us knows, otherwise we’d be minting it with the bookies.

Regarding CH, I loved the bloke and what he did for the club, giving us top flight football for the first time in 34 years and keeping us up twice with a bottom 4 budget. But in the end I hated all those home losses so much, we were outclassed by a succession of relegation rivals, sadly I think TB made the right decision.

Another point I kind of agree with you on, is about the youth/U23 players. I don’t think they were ready last season.

I also believe that Andone (temperament), Locadia and Jahanbakhsh weren’t good enough. CH had a part say, but he did not do the scouting of Winstanley and his extensive team of analysts. Hamstringing CH in team selection.

I’m optimistic .... I’d say an Albion mojo of ‘7.5’ if there was another of those NSC polls right now.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Well that scummers comeback tops off a shit day results wise. All those praising our lovely football and new approach won’t be so vocal when in 2 matches times we will quite conceivably be in the bottom 3. Saints have 2 very winnable games next and we have 2 very tricky ones. Anyone who thought we wouldn’t be flirting with the bottom 3 with that strike force is deluded.

go on.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here