Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 13-15/08/21

Lets hope BW is shite for them up to Xmas, gets dropped and we can loan him back in the new year transfer window with option to buy him back for half price at the season end!.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good post.
At Brighton we played him to his strengths as he was one of our best players in a good defence, at Arsenal he is just another player who must fit in and play where and how he is told, Arteta and the fans will destroy him if it carries on.
They must have seen how he played for us but that is typical of a big club, they always know better, or think they do, it was only little Brighton with an unheard of coach.

It does make me wonder if other clubs look at our players like Bissouma, and knowing what a strong well drilled unit we are, then worry if the players will do as well elsewhere?

Whatever bids we recieve for our players, Potter is our most important asset.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does make me wonder if other clubs look at our players like Bissouma, and knowing what a strong well drilled unit we are, then worry if the players will do as well elsewhere?

Unless they're strikers - but then again nobody is bidding for our strikers.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Funny you should mention that ................. One of the Arsenal fans on AFTV said that what they (and White) needed was Bissouma playing in front of him. Another £40M (let's not push it!) for the team improvement/ losses reduction fund?
The way Ben White played yesterday Arsenal are going nowhere near our team again !! Bissouma would be on a suicide mission to join them. Destined for 8th again no matter who they buy.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
White's ball-playing throughout the match was actually pretty good, but he was second best vs Toney all night and had no answer to his aerial threat and his physicality.

Chelsea have just been given a blueprint for how to expose Arsenal. If Arteta goes with a back 4 against Lukaku it could be carnage.

There was one point where he had the ball just outside the Arsenal penalty area, being hassled by a couple of Brentford players. Rather than play an easy ball he turned and played a sublime long ball to (I think) Pepe, half way inside the Brentford half.

Arsenal look to have a few decent players (Smith-Rowe and Saka, obviously, but also Lokonga and Tavares. Tierney would be great if he could get the final ball right). But Arteta needs to explain why the hell he played Ben White in a back four against a team with the likes of Toney and Mbeumo. Especially paired with someone as inexperienced as Pablo Mari.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Just watched The Premier league highlights.....dear oh dear Ben White shouldn't be written off after one game but he looked woeful in defence......rabbit in headlights without Dunky & Webby. Arsenal need two defenders of their ability to protect Ben's weak defending.......that will not be a cheap process.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
For the Albion selling White was a great bit of business for White it was way too early to be jumping to a bigger club and all the pressures that come with that. He is a real talent but as we saw with a few mistakes last season he has a lot of development still to get there. He would get breathing space to do that here at Arsenal he is already on the back foot with the price tag and toxic fan base.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Based on that niche role for White, my guess is that Arteta sees him as a Baresi or Hansen type. A gifted player running games from the back, with a quarterback pass on him.

The difference. They were also great defenders in their own right and played with one or two top CB’s beside or in front of them.

Defending was the first and foremost duty of the unit.

Pablo Mari Villar and Chambers were a joke.

Yes, agreed.

Gary Neville made a great point last night, saying a defender is good with the ball is an outdated concept, all of the top defenders are good with the ball these days, what sets them apart is the ability to be able to properly defend their goal including winning headers etc.

In this country alone Neville rightly quoted - Dias, Maguire, VVD, Thiago Silva - all very good at passing and progressing the ball but also excellent defenders first and foremost.

Dunk and Webster also do both parts of the game brilliantly and thats why a lot of us on here, whilst appreciating White as a player, believe Arsenal signed our currently third best CB (or fourth if you include Veltman).

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Yes, agreed.

Gary Neville made a great point last night, saying a defender is good with the ball is an outdated concept, all of the top defenders are good with the ball these days, what sets them apart is the ability to be able to properly defend their goal including winning headers etc.

In this country alone Neville rightly quoted - Dias, Maguire, VVD, Thiago Silva - all very good at passing and progressing the ball but also excellent defenders first and foremost.

Dunk and Webster also do both parts of the game brilliantly and thats why a lot of us on here, whilst appreciating White as a player, believe Arsenal signed our currently third best CB (or fourth if you include Veltman).

Yep. BW is a bit of a luxury we can do without. He’s not defensively strong enough to play in a 2 in the PL.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

This.

Potter did this with players at Swansea too.

McBurnie & James were big transfers to the Premier League but were soon both regulars on the bench. Both have failed so far. Sadly, Mr White looks destined for the bench too unless Arsenal can play him in a back 3 or pair him with a ‘Dunk’ like player.

Oh dear Ben, what a mess. Everyone would understand if the first thing you did after that defeat was to summon your slimey agent and lay him out on the deck for encouraging you to fly too close to the Sun. It’s highly likely your fledgling England career is ****ed as well, Southgate would do well to select Webster or Dunk in your place.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't know that people should be writing him off after one game. I know one game is the NSC standard for judging a player but we know there's a good footballer in there.

First game, new team, pressure of being a £50m man.

That said, if he plays like he did last night against Chelsea then Lukaku will bag a couple.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't know that people should be writing him off after one game. I know one game is the NSC standard for judging a player but we know there's a good footballer in there.

First game, new team, pressure of being a £50m man.

That said, if he plays like he did last night against Chelsea then Lukaku will bag a couple.

I don't think anyone doubts that there is a VERY good footballer there. It's just that it appears his agent and manager are trying to hide that fact by doing everything they can to highlight the young, inexperienced player's weaknesses :shrug:

And you've been here long enough to know the rules on NSC. 45 Mins is plenty of time to judge and 90 mins just confirms it :wink:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't think anyone doubts that there is a VERY good footballer there. It's just that it appears his agent and manager are trying to hide that fact by doing everything they can to highlight the young, inexperienced player's weaknesses :shrug:

And you've been here long enough to know the rules on NSC. 45 Mins is plenty of time to judge and 90 mins just confirms it :wink:

As long as 45? Hmmm

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ridiculous Brentford stuff on the news this morning, pleased for Brentford and it was understandably a party from start to finish but Arsenal, although they were poor were very weakened, banging on about the noise from the crowd, well that was a surprise, fans saying they expect top 10 now, bell ends.
Oh and 'we are Premier league' is the most cringe football song ever.
Pathetic scenes on sports news this morning.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You are very generous, nobody gets longer than 15 mins from me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ridiculous Brentford stuff on the news this morning, pleased for Brentford and it was understandably a party from start to finish but Arsenal, although they were poor were very weakened, banging on about the noise from the crowd, well that was a surprise, fans saying they expect top 10 now, bell ends.
Oh and 'we are Premier league' is the most cringe football song ever.
Pathetic scenes on sports news this morning.

Yep, it seems the pundits have seen enough to predict them staying up comfortably. :lolol:

They are the new media darlings.

Ben White left us a year too soon imo

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Finding that woman commentator's over-analysis quite annoying during ManU-Leeds game. Just saying words for the sake of saying words mostly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here