Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prem manager for Southampton?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A slight understatement. I think he was sacked for purely non footballing matters.

NC would be the thickest chairman ever if that wasnt the case.

On the first point, I have heard whispers locally about Pardew CLATTERING the wife of a squad member. He has previous for that kind of nonsense too.

On the footballing side, I disagree. With the budget and squad you had, the play-offs should have been achievable last year, despite the 10 points.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I bet there haven't been many instances of a manager of a club leaving for one in a lower division.

In fact, I can't think of any off the top of my head - any ideas?

Steve Bruce left Palace for Birmingham (who were six places lower in the same division).

But a step down? These days, no club outside the Prem could match Premiership wages, so that means teams like Wigan and Blackpool will be protected from clubs in the Championship (or lower).
Surely only a big club in the third division would have the clout to do that generally.
Man City, Leeds and Sunderland have all been down here, and I don't think any of them pinched a manager from further up the league to get themselves promoted...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Man City, Leeds and Sunderland have all been down here, and I don't think any of them pinched a manager from further up the league to get themselves promoted...

I'm sure they didn't either. I still can't think of anyone.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Scunthorpe chairman believes Southampton have withdrawn their offer to Adkins.

SSN

Scunthorpe chairman Steve Wharton believes Southampton have withdrawn their offer to Nigel Adkins to fill the vacant managerial position at St Mary's.
Adkins, 45, who has steered the Iron to two promotions in four years on a shoestring budget, had emerged as the man the Saints want to replace Alan Pardew, who was sacked on August 30.
Assistant manager Andy Crosby was expected to follow Adkins to St Mary`s but the two clubs have failed to agree a compensation package.
And Wharton told Press Association Sport: "The latest I've heard is that Southampton have withdrawn their offer to Nigel.
"They gave him an ultimatum to resign from his position as Scunthorpe United manager, but he was not prepared to do that until a compensation package had been agreed.
"I'm on my way to Glanford Park this morning and hopefully everything will then become clearer."
Adkins has spent the past 14 years at Scunthorpe, working for a decade as the club's physiotherapist and spending the last four as manager.
His ambition looked set to be matched when the Southampton vacancy arose but it now seems increasingly unlikely that he will take up the position.
His refusal to walk out of Glanford Park without compensation having been agreed underlined his loyalty to the club and raised the prospect of him remaining at the helm for Saturday's home clash with Bristol City.
Phil Brown, who has been out of work since leaving Hull, would now appear to be favourite to land the job at Southampton.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Can't quite understand why Southampton aren't prepared to pay what Scunthorpe want though, especially when you look at how many times they've spent WELL over the odds on various players. I wouldn't have thought money would be an issue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't quite understand why Southampton aren't prepared to pay what Scunthorpe want though, especially when you look at how many times they've spent WELL over the odds on various players.

Because their chairman is a cock

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ha ha.

Could it possibly descend any further into pure farce! What a joke of a club they are and who could possibly want to manage there? :lolol:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can't quite understand why Southampton aren't prepared to pay what Scunthorpe want though, especially when you look at how many times they've spent WELL over the odds on various players. I wouldn't have thought money would be an issue.

Maybe money is the issue with Southampton now. Their previous owner (presumably the money man) is dead.

Adkins, although a good choice is almost certainly the cheapest option, of those who have realistically applied.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think Phil Brown is massively overrated. Hopefully he gets the job and cocks up again.

Cocks up? He got a club that's spent all its life in the lower league into the Prem and kept them up. Admittedly the second season wasn't so rosy but he got the team punching well above its weight.

However, I can't him being the type of character who'll settle for a smooth relationship with Cortese.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
What a f***ing laughing stock we are becoming thanks to our chairman. It's Lowe all over again.

The way it works is small club gets manager poached by bigger club, bigger club pays off small club. Evidently NC wants Atkins to resign then he wont have to pay, potentially leaving Atkins liable.

So much of this 5 year plan to get us to the prem. The manager we now choose will always be labelled 2nd choice.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Phil Brown is massively overrated. Hopefully he gets the job and cocks up again.
I still like Brown but not sure about massively overrated.

What a f***ing laughing stock we are becoming thanks to our chairman. It's Lowe all over again.

The way it works is small club gets manager poached by bigger club, bigger club pays off small club. Evidently NC wants Atkins to resign then he wont have to pay, potentially leaving Atkins liable.

So much of this 5 year plan to get us to the prem. The manager will now choose will always be labelled 2nd choice.
Correct. It's proper funny scenes. Your chairman is a bellend. haha!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here