Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre season confirmed!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Out of interest, how much was last season's travel package to Portugal that could be booked through Thomas Cook?

It depended on which flight you chose and whether it was self catering or in a hotel. It wasn't a package as such.
Agree entirely, which makes me think this trip was actually organised ages ago and the club have just bowed to pressure to release the details.
Gus wanted the same place in Villamoura because the facilities were so good for the team but it went bankrupt so the club have had to make different arrangements.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Really?! I looked and couldnt find bugger all flying from Gatwick to Seville.. Link??

Ok ignore that. Found flights, depart Gatwick at 4pm on the 21st July, gets there at 7.30pm. On the way back leave on 31st at 2pm gets back to Gatwick for 4. With Ryainair £99.98!

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Team will fly out to Jerez (pronounced Herrreth) on Sunday 22nd, returning Sunday 29th. Games are NOT confirmed but are likely to be ONE midweek fixture and then ONE Saturday fixture. The commercial department is in discussions with Thomas Cook re fan packages, including flights and accomodation, as per Portugal trip.

Choombie

Sep 27, 2011
Beautiful city, home of sherry making and the Andalucían horses.

No it's not, it's horrible. It's a massive council estate full of neanderthals with only the very middle of the town reasonably nice, even then the main square has begging junkies. It's the ars* end of Spain with rude ignorant people,. The other end of the scale to Sevilla, which is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain with very friendly people. Last time I went to Jerez for a game I went to Cadiz pre match then and drove up for the kick off, because we refused to go to that sh**hole for anything other than the match.

Not sure it's the right place for a bunch of football hooligans though!

They have a huge hooligan element. I've never seen 70s style violence anywhere in Spain except there, 2 times out of 3 visits. They even attacked a 55 and a 60 year old man. They are the scum of Spain.

And Xerez (correct spelling) play in blue and white stripes!

No they don't, they play in blue shirts white shorts, very apt as they are 'The Millwall' of Spain.

I doubt they will treat Brighton fans badly though, they save their hatred for local Spanish teams. But I would recommend staying in the lovely city of Cadiz rather than that dump.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Question to our resident Spaniards - what are the trains like over there? Would it be feasible to stay in Seville and get a train over to Jerez? (if that's where the games are going to be played?) How much would it cost in a taxi?

Looking for a destination that's going to be a bit more conducive for a group of young chaps.

Trains are as cheap as a pint. I will be staying in Seville as it's cheaper to fly too and so are the hotels. Taxi would be about 40 euro's.

Question to our resident Spaniards - what are the trains like over there? Would it be feasible to stay in Seville and get a train over to Jerez? (if that's where the games are going to be played?) How much would it cost in a taxi?

Looking for a destination that's going to be a bit more conducive for a group of young chaps.

Spanish trains are excellent. Yes you could stay in Seville - very hot but good hotels at cheap prices because everybody is away - and get the train to Jerez, but just because the team are based in Jerez doesn't mean the games will be in Jerez itself. They could well be somwhere in the area and getting around on public transport isn't that easy.

If there are a group of you it would definitely be better to rent a car.

If I was going in a group (and wasn't an old fart!) I'd definitely stay in either Cádiz or in La Barossa - the beach area of Chiclana. But then you'd need a car although you could get a taxi to San Fernando and then train to Jerez.

Another alternative might be to stay further south around Tarifa. There's a much younger crowd there, lots of windsurfing, but you still have the issue of getting to the games, which brings us back to a car again. But if you did stay in Tarifa then Gibraltar is an option for an airport - flights from Gatwick from memory but don't hold me to that.

I'm not sure we'll be playing Spanish teams, their league starts later than UK so some may not even be in pre-season training by then. In any case, presumably Gus would want to face the sort of opposition there is in the Championship, which probably means other British or northern European teams.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Anyone else get the impression the club have only made this public because so many people were asking about pre-season, and haven't actually organised the trip with fans in mind at all? Portugal was brilliant, announced months in advance, situated right in the middle of a main tourist resort that was dead easy (and cheap) to get to. Jerez, as nice as I'm sure it is, is hardly a summer holiday destination and is miles from any (Malaga's 100 miles away, and flights are now around the £300 mark).

What a strange post. Firstly, pre season games are about getting the players up to speed for the start of the season, nothing else.

Secondly, as for a holiday destination, then I guess it depends what kind of holiday you like to go on, but I'd rather go to a beautiful city with history an culture within 30 mins drive of some of the best beaches in Spain than any of the Costa del Sol hell holes. You can fly direct from Gatwick, or if you'd rather then fly to Seville, which is under an hour away. Unless of course you're someone who would normally holiday in Torremolinos or Malaga, in which case you might as well go to Grimsby or Portsmouth instead, as the only difference is the weather.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No it's not, it's horrible. It's a massive council estate full of neanderthals with only the very middle of the town reasonably nice, even then the main square has begging junkies. It's the ars* end of Spain with rude ignorant people,. The other end of the scale to Sevilla, which is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain with very friendly people. Last time I went to Jerez for a game I went to Cadiz pre match then and drove up for the kick off, because we refused to go to that sh**hole for anything other than the match.

They have a huge hooligan element. I've never seen 70s style violence anywhere in Spain except there, 2 times out of 3 visits. They even attacked a 55 and a 60 year old man. They are the scum of Spain.

No they don't, they play in blue shirts white shorts, very apt as they are 'The Millwall' of Spain.

I doubt they will treat Brighton fans badly though, they save their hatred for local Spanish teams. But I would recommend staying in the lovely city of Cadiz rather than that dump.

I think that's exaggerating it a bit, it is a nice city. It's much more affluent than Cadiz, and probably has better restaurants / bars etc for the average holidaymaker. They are a scummy football team though, and personally I much prefer visiting Cadiz, who also happen to be the best club in Spain. Ese Cadiz oe!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

~That would make sense as they have the UEFA Match Agent to help the booking and look after them as part of the service and that is...Gary Hobson!!!

HI Group Sport Travel's UEFA Match Agent Gary Hobson

gary.jpg
_820928_york_hobson300.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Jerez, as nice as I'm sure it is, is hardly a summer holiday destination and is miles from any (Malaga's 100 miles away, and flights are now around the £300 mark)

Odd post, I've been on holiday in that part of Spain loads of times.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Odd post, I've been on holiday in that part of Spain loads of times.

I suppose it's lucky there are people like that in the country, or all the nicest places to go on holiday would be packed out with Brits abroad. Can't understand it myself though, I can't think of anything worse than going to the Costas on holiday, I'd rather spend the week in Brighton. Far nicer, more to do, and much nicer people.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Still looking at going, but it all depends on a job interview in a couple of weeks for the Olympics - which would start during the tour. Unlikely though through cost.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I suppose it's lucky there are people like that in the country, or all the nicest places to go on holiday would be packed out with Brits abroad. Can't understand it myself though, I can't think of anything worse than going to the Costas on holiday, I'd rather spend the week in Brighton. Far nicer, more to do, and much nicer people.

I have to fly to Malaga to see my mum (now Granada isn't accessible from Gatwick). I have the routine down for dealing with Malaga and the costa's...land, run to hire car desk, speak some Spanish to the clerk so they now your not 'one of them', run to car, drive like the wind up the A45/A92M and only slow down when the smell passes (once called the "stench of ignorance" by an ex).

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Spanish trains are excellent. Yes you could stay in Seville - very hot but good hotels at cheap prices because everybody is away - and get the train to Jerez, but just because the team are based in Jerez doesn't mean the games will be in Jerez itself. They could well be somwhere in the area and getting around on public transport isn't that easy.

If there are a group of you it would definitely be better to rent a car.

If I was going in a group (and wasn't an old fart!) I'd definitely stay in either Cádiz or in La Barossa - the beach area of Chiclana. But then you'd need a car although you could get a taxi to San Fernando and then train to Jerez.

Another alternative might be to stay further south around Tarifa. There's a much younger crowd there, lots of windsurfing, but you still have the issue of getting to the games, which brings us back to a car again. But if you did stay in Tarifa then Gibraltar is an option for an airport - flights from Gatwick from memory but don't hold me to that.

I'm not sure we'll be playing Spanish teams, their league starts later than UK so some may not even be in pre-season training by then. In any case, presumably Gus would want to face the sort of opposition there is in the Championship, which probably means other British or northern European teams.

Thanks mate. The issue with renting a car is that no one would want the responsibility of driving, nor would anyone likely be in a fit state to drive.

What's the nightlife and bar-scene like in Cádiz?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here