Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Hull Reaction video

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On point 1. thats exactly what I am saying. He is a young manager and needs to learn what he should and shouldn't say. " It's out of my hands " , and then quoted elsewhere as saying he still wants to stay etc. Why say "its out of my hands".

Point 2 - I do not think fans require constant praise. But by the same token they do not really want there manager banging on about how GREAT the Leeds fans are every time we play them. It is getting boring now. Next season will no doubt spout the same cack all over again.

You're being VERY selective with the phrasing.

"It's out of my hands..." is only part of the quote. Put it into the context of the rest of the statement, and I would take it to read "It (the whole situation) has got nothing to do with me..." By the sounds of things, Wolves didn't even get as far as talking to Poyet as they were knocked back by Tony Bloom - hence it's out "out of his hands..."

He has (or has had) an affinity with the Leeds fans. He comments on them when prompted.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
This season has been exceptional for manufactured outrage and mountain out of molehill making.
Quite. Been utterly dumbfounded by some of the stuff I've read on here this past week.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Life was so much simpler before the internet!
Gus is God. End of.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because it was out of his hands. He was never asked about whether he wants to join Wolves, therefore there was no decision to make. He has stated his commitment to his contract in the past, why does he have to keep reiterating that?

Have you been drinking ?. So Gus wants to stay and has no intention of going. In which case " It's out of my hands" is not the thing to say. You just say NO, I am staying at Brighton. I just don't understand what is so difficult for you to see.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Genuinely staggered at the criticism Gus is getting over this situation. He has done nothing wrong and not gone back on anything he has said in the past. Why are people so keen to have him hanging from the gallows? He's the best manager we have had for donkey's, just can't get why people sound so keen for him to leave and us go back to mediocrity and not attracting interest from any bigger clubs :shrug:

How many people are actually saying that they want to see him 'hanging from the gallows'? ???

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're being VERY selective with the phrasing.

"It's out of my hands..." is only part of the quote. Put it into the context of the rest of the statement, and I would take it to read "It (the whole situation) has got nothing to do with me..." By the sounds of things, Wolves didn't even get as far as talking to Poyet as they were knocked back by Tony Bloom - hence it's out "out of his hands..."

He has (or has had) an affinity with the Leeds fans. He comments on them when prompted.

Which is how I have read it has happened. In which case why not say exactly that. OR I am committed to staying at Brighton, OR Yeah I cant wait to go to Wolves. OR just about anything other than. It is out of my hands.

Anyway he is staying, so that is all good. But just confirms what I have already mentioned that talking to the press is not his strong point IMO.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Which is how I have read it has happened. In which case why not say exactly that. OR I am committed to staying at Brighton, OR Yeah I cant wait to go to Wolves. OR just about anything other than. It is out of my hands.

Because that's still being selective.

The quote 'it is out of my hands...' means nothing (or rather can mean many things) on its own. But you're taking it out of context. Put it back in context, and it becomes clear.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Anyway he is staying, so that is all good. But just confirms what I have already mentioned that talking to the press is not his strong point IMO.

This.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
Have you been drinking ?. So Gus wants to stay and has no intention of going. In which case " It's out of my hands" is not the thing to say. You just say NO, I am staying at Brighton. I just don't understand what is so difficult for you to see.

It's a very limited job market for a football manager...92 in England...and probably only 10-20 that Gus would be interested in...so he keeps all doors open as he never knows what's around the corner...he's doing well now, but say the wheels fell off at Brighton (just saying!) he would want as many options as possible...so why close the door on any decent club (yes, i include Wolves in that) by saying something derogatory now.....so best to distance himself from it all...

Having said that...I agree he could say a firm "NO...it's flattering to be considered , but I'm very happy at Brighton right now!"

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because that's still being selective.

The quote 'it is out of my hands...' means nothing (or rather can mean many things) on its own. But you're taking it out of context. Put it back in context, and it becomes clear.

No offence big guy but I think you are being a tad creative. Just for your benefit I have listened to the questioning again and it goes like this.

Following question regarding going to Wolves -

Interviewer : And so there is nothing you can see changing in the forseeable future ?.

Gus : eeees Anyway it's out of my hands. I am not controlling that. The idea is to somehow try and concentrate on the team.

Now if I am being creative then FAIR ENOUGH, I will concede. But as I said before, and ALSO taking into account what Amexican has said. A simple , Wolves is a lovely club, and a great challenge for someone to keep them in the Prem. But at this point in time I have a job to do, and we will be playing them next year anyway. Oh and and recently I have changed my mind, Leeds are shit and their fans are all northern monkeys. Ok forget the last bit then.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Very very surprised that in the short term wolves havent gone for coppell to steady the ship he would probably like a short term thing as well.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The 'it's out of my hands' comment is a bit strange - does this mean the club refused to give Gus permission to speak to them?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The 'it's out of my hands' comment is a bit strange - does this mean the club refused to give Gus permission to speak to them?

Wolves will have approached Tony Bloom. He has said either no way, I'm not letting Gus go, or more than likely he has pointed out he has recently signed a large contract that would require over £2m in compensation to buy out. Wolves have then back tracked as they're not willing to pay that. Ergo, Poyet has not been asked about the job and so has had no actual involvement in the situation. He has then gone on to say he is commited to the club.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Yes, it probably does. The question is really how unhappy is Gus about this?

Maybe,

- not unhappy at all. Has spoken to Bloom, and happy for permission being refused. The agreed line with the albion is that it's all down to them that he is not in the frame.

- slightly unhappy, but knows he signed the contract with us and the terms, so accepts it.

- very unhappy, but being proffessional about it.

So are Wolves trying to knock Tony down on the compensation? Probably, but can't see them getting far.

If Wolves keep getting turned down by all and sundry, then will they eventually meet the 2million fee for Gus?

And if he does talk to them, will whatever has been putting everyone else off the job, not impress Gus?

Sadly, this will run and run until someone takes the job.

I expect they'll appoint Terry Connor until the end of the season now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sadly, this will run and run until someone takes the job
Last I heard, they expect to have someone in place by tomorrow.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No offence big guy but I think you are being a tad creative. Just for your benefit I have listened to the questioning again and it goes like this.

Following question regarding going to Wolves -

Interviewer : And so there is nothing you can see changing in the forseeable future ?.

Gus : eeees Anyway it's out of my hands. I am not controlling that. The idea is to somehow try and concentrate on the team.

Now if I am being creative then FAIR ENOUGH, I will concede. But as I said before, and ALSO taking into account what Amexican has said. A simple , Wolves is a lovely club, and a great challenge for someone to keep them in the Prem. But at this point in time I have a job to do, and we will be playing them next year anyway. Oh and and recently I have changed my mind, Leeds are shit and their fans are all northern monkeys. Ok forget the last bit then.

You are being a bit creative.

I've highlighted the main point...

Gus: "It was a very strange Monday morning, until it comes (I assume he means an approach from another club), you don't think about it. Then it came and and it went away, so there's nothing to worry about."

Interviewer: "So there's nothing you can see changing in the foreseeable future...?"

Gus: "No, no. Anyway, it's not in my hands. I'm not controlling that."

We doesn't say 'eees'. He says 'no'. Twice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's confirmed that he's definitely going. Unless you actually read/listen to what he's said, which is the opposite.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He is going nowhere.

Poyet reveals Wolves approach :

Wolves is on the hunt for a new boss after the sacking of Mick McCarthy after five-and-a-half years in charge.

Steve Bruce and Alan Curbishley have been touted as the frontrunners for the vacancy at the Premier League struggler but Poyet also appears to have been on the radar at some stage.

Wolves had previously denied reports it has made an approach for Poyet who, though, spoke after his side's 0-0 draw at Hull City.

"There was an approach but it came and went.

"I didn't have any decisions to make, anything to think about. I was not involved at all.

"It was not difficult for me, I was not involved at any time."

The Uruguayan signed a five-year deal with the Championship Seagulls in September 2011 and despite admitting he is keen to manage in the top flight, he feels he could fulfil his ambitions at the Amex Stadium.

"I've said a few times that we all aim for the same - players want to play at the highest level, I want to manage in the Premier League," the former Chelsea midfielder added.

"At the moment the easiest way will be in the next two or three years or whatever it takes with Brighton.

"If we don't then I need to move on because I want to manage at the top. I'm not going to lie to people. I don't want to wait 20 years but it doesn't need to happen now.

"If something happens or comes along I will think about it, talk to the chairman - he's the main one - and we'll see. These are all the things you cannot control so I'm relaxed about it."

Having led Brighton to the League One title last season, earning the manager of the year award along the way, the 44-year-old is content to continue shaping the south coast club's future.

"I'm very lucky where I am," he added. "I can get the players for the style I play, I can get involved in the new academy and part of the building of the new training ground.

"It's a great place to be. I'm saying I'm not in a hurry, I signed a long-term contract because I want to be here."

If that is EXACTLY what he said, why is everyone (well lots anyway) shitting themselves?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here