Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyets after match comments.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It is worth noting that at the Liverpool,Leeds and Palace matches we had periods of possession which did not result in goals,our main striker works his socks off but we are not scoring enough to win matches.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Is the problem that we expect to follow Norwich? We've had a good start to the season,but we need to consolidate in this league.We have a brilliant manager,a brilliant chairman,brilliant stadium,brilliant support and a brilliant future.But it is in the future.............just not that far !

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is the problem that we expect to follow Norwich? We've had a good start to the season,but we need to consolidate in this league.We have a brilliant manager,a brilliant chairman,brilliant stadium,brilliant support and a brilliant future.But it is in the future.............just not that far !

I think you could well be correct. Southampton look like this years Norwich.

It was noticeable how Gus looked at strengthening the wings, midfield and forward lines in the summer. However not the rearguard.
We appear to be getting 'found out' for that fact now - we can't surprise teams, we're losing cohesion and confidence, and that's 3 losses in a row.
Still not a disaster, but obviously we need to see our own flaws and correct them now. A bit of a test, perhaps.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I don't want to go up. I just want us to look like a reasonable prospect. That way we win more games than we lose and that is very unlikely if we go up.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Just back from the game. Can,t deny Ipswich were the better team. At times we played some nice tippy tappy football, but the minute we get into the last 1/3rd of the pitch, we are muscled out of it.

CMS needs more support than he is getting.

Every player did his best, but their best simply wasn't good enough. Bullard was outstanding for Ipswich and involved in winning crucial tackles and starting nearly all of Ipswichs attacks.

Overall, we have some good players but lack steel.

Vicente, apart from his goal...which was worth going to Ipswich to see, isn't exactly filling me with optimism.

PS: If anyone has a video clip of Navarros two good games he has played for the Albion in the two-three years he has been here, could they please put it on here. Would be a shame to miss these highlights of his career. He was too slow in League 1....and don't even get me started on his Championship career with us.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Slagging off CMS, the bloke is different class. I agree he isn't getting the service though.............

I never slagged him off, i said he is not prem class yet which i dont think he is, and was just wondering peoples opinions on him given the fact his played 10games now, his goal ratio is 1 every 2 which is not sad at all but was just wondering if people felt of his performances?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Slagging off CMS, the bloke is different class. I agree he isn't getting the service though.............

True ... he needs someone to play off and balls through the channel ... if we're looking for changes it isn't here for sure, he's class imo

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Just back from the game. Can,t deny Ipswich were the better team. At times we played some nice tippy tappy football, but the minute we get into the last 1/3rd of the pitch, we are muscled out of it.

CMS needs more support than he is getting.

Every player did his best, but their best simply wasn't good enough. Bullard was outstanding for Ipswich and involved in winning crucial tackles and starting nearly all of Ipswichs attacks.

Overall, we have some good players but lack steel.

Vicente, apart from his goal...which was worth going to Ipswich to see, isn't exactly filling me with optimism.

PS: If anyone has a video clip of Navarros two good games he has played for the Albion in the two-three years he has been here, could they please put it on here. Would be a shame to miss these highlights of his career. He was too slow in League 1....and don't even get me started on his Championship career with us.

You are not optimistic about Vicente - if we could get him to learn what 'man on' means and that he won't get a foul every time he asks for one he will be amazing, the vision is superb some of the crosses he put in were quality just a shame no one got on the end of them.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
One of our problems recently has ben lack of shots on goal. If you don't shoot, you don't score.

On the bench we have a certain Mr Hoskins who we paid good money for. If CMS and Barnes are not cutting it, why is Hoskins not playing?

I absolutely cannot but agree with that.

Never mind that AB has scored seven albeit four from penalties but you can't have him on there just in case when he is doing b----- all apart.

CMS is running his nuts off chasing down opposition GK and/or defenders but he cannot do that without support and as long as AB is there he also needs to try to close down the opposition. If you don't agree just watch CMS running from side to side , unbelievable energy, but pointless if some other of our players does not support him in this.

We need to start Hoskins as he is the one that GP coveted last season as the one who would resolve any issues of our goal famine in the future. He is much more predatory than AB. ( Don't get me wrong, Barnsey has upped his game since last season but Hoskins is very much more the predatory striker and he should be the one to start - pointless to bring him on 5 or 10 minutes before the end of a lost cause like today

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We need to start Hoskins as he is the one that GP coveted last season as the one who would resolve any issues of our goal famine in the future. He is much more predatory than AB. ( Don't get me wrong, Barnsey has upped his game since last season but Hoskins is very much more the predatory striker and he should be the one to start - pointless to bring him on 5 or 10 minutes before the end of a lost cause like today

The problem is gus using Barnes as a defender/defensive midfielder when not on the ball, often leaves CMS alone. When Barnes plays up the field he has contributed a lot (he closed down the peterborough keeper leading to Noone's goal). If he brings hoskins in and has him play the same defensive role, it will lead to the same result of cms being alone up front.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I didn't go today so I'm just going to presume the reason we lost are more or less the same reasons why we lost at Leicester, were 2-0 down against Leeds and lost to Palace. We've got to close players down. It was okay at the beginning of the season when Championship sides didn't know how we played and how good/bad our defence/keeper was. Now they know that they can take their chances. From recent memory, both Sunderland (Premiership, I know) and Palace peppered the goal with poor shots, but it was only a matter of time for the latter to get one on target. Ankergren seems to be getting found out more and more on a weekly basis; dives too early when he should stay on his feet, and any shot that goes to the side of him he'll just leave.
I can't imagine how CMS must be feeling to be honest. If Gus isn't setting the side up correctly to feed him the ball, then what can he do? We've seen this season that when you provide him with a chance, he'll get in the right position to make it happen. Honestly, how many chances have we seen him have? His chances to goal ratio must be terrific. As opposed to Murray, who had loads on Tuesday, missed quite a few sitters, but because he was fed the ball on numerous occasions, he eventually got one in. On another note, Barnes has stepped up this season, but it's now Hoskins chance. I really could see Ashley being more of a super-sub kind of player anyway.
Not really sure what went wrong today, as I wasn't there, but we need a different Plan B. Plan B against Leicester and Palace was for either Casper or a pressured defender to hoof it up field to players who don't have height. Plan B has to be quicker pass and moving, with the back 4 and some of the midfield moving around to create space and to shake off their markers.

Vicente's goal looks class though. We don't have physicality, but we sure have class. Instead of trying to match physical teams like Leicester and Ipswich at their own game, I really think we should be countering them with speed and agility, which our kind of passing football should be able to breed.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Vicente is in a different class. That is all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here