Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet To Wigan!?!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Money or not. Wigan wont be short of it!

The best manager to get them promoted will be their priority.

Whelan has specifically said that compo is an issue "‘I have tried to stay away from managers who are in work at the moment because there is a fee involved with those,’ Whelan said."

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
so reading dave whelan's interview it seems unlikely it will be gus due to compo. Leaves swansea (possibly) and that is it I think. what now for the club and gus, this situation cant go on forever can it?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
so reading dave whelan's interview it seems unlikely it will be gus due to compo. Leaves swansea (possibly) and that is it I think. what now for the club and gus, this situation cant go on forever can it?

I posted in another thread that i think Poyet holds all the cards - he knows that if he doesnt accept another job in the next i would say 2/3 weeks the club will be forced to either clear him for a return to work (very unlikely) or sack him if they have grounds which could lead to a lenghty court case. On that premis i would imagine the club would be prepared to negociate on compo to be paid. It must be in everyones interest to get out of this night mare as quicjly as possible.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I posted in another thread that i think Poyet holds all the cards - he knows that if he doesnt accept another job in the next i would say 2/3 weeks the club will be forced to either clear him for a return to work (very unlikely) or sack him if they have grounds which could lead to a lenghty court case. On that premis i would imagine the club would be prepared to negociate on compo to be paid. It must be in everyones interest to get out of this night mare as quicjly as possible.

I suspect this is the situation we're in. It's all very well people getting frustrated with the club for dragging its heels but Gus and team can take their own sweet time to respond, and it's not as if there is a queue of clubs demanding to speak to him at the moment, as far as we can tell. So the timetable is effectively being set by Gus at the moment, almost certainly.

Sure, the board could bring things to a speedy resolution, but it will cost them a lot of money to do so ... at least double what they have tried to save in outgoings this week with the redundancies.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Not sure that's true, didn't they balk at the 1.7mil compo?

If Dave Whelan isn't willing to pay the compo it would suggest to me that he was never really that interested in the first place. It's not as if he wouldn't have been aware of the amount he would need to spend when he added Gus to his short list (if he did of course)

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I am becoming more confused by our management situation as each day passes. Following the initial suspensions it was clear that any investiagtion would take time and be confidential so the lack of news didn't worry me significantly. 4 weeks, however, is a long time for this not to be resolved and no sign of that changing any time soon. Have we really just been waiting 4 weeks (maybe more to come) in the hope that gus would land another job and we would get the compo, whilst risking a decent start to next season and missing potential signings. It just seems like a big gamble to risk the momentum and good will on that hope which does not appear to be working.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I am becoming more confused by our management situation as each day passes. Following the initial suspensions it was clear that any investiagtion would take time and be confidential so the lack of news didn't worry me significantly. 4 weeks, however, is a long time for this not to be resolved and no sign of that changing any time soon. Have we really just been waiting 4 weeks (maybe more to come) in the hope that gus would land another job and we would get the compo, whilst risking a decent start to next season and missing potential signings. It just seems like a big gamble to risk the momentum and good will on that hope which does not appear to be working.

I agree 100%. 4 weeks is Shirley too long a time to pass without one side or the other dragging their feet....

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Think that nobody is that interested in Gus. Yes name touted about a bit , but has anyone seriously shown any interest. Gus was the one touting himself about towards the end of the season and obviously believed his own hype more than anyone else. This is now coming back to bite us as nobody wants him even us . Where he will end up who knows it is unlikely to be us. It just needs to get sorted as each day gets us nearer the first friendly with no-one in charge.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Think that nobody is that interested in Gus. Yes name touted about a bit , but has anyone seriously shown any interest. Gus was the one touting himself about towards the end of the season and obviously believed his own hype more than anyone else. This is now coming back to bite us as nobody wants him even us . Where he will end up who knows it is unlikely to be us. It just needs to get sorted as each day gets us nearer the first friendly with no-one in charge.

Director of football & assistant manager?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This suspension and investigation are in nobodies interest. It is damaging the reputation of both the manager and our club. Poyet, Barber and Bloom need to get this sorted now. Four weeks is too long.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Perhaps we should have accepted his resignation (if that is what he tried to do) and cut our losses.

There is rarely any point in trying to talk an unhappy employee round, which never works long term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here