Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Villa? Could it happen

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am not usually pessimistic, but I am starting to shit it a little, noticed Gus odds have gone from 33/1 and 40/1 this morning have been slashed and are now down at 10/1 to 14/1.

Just been reading Villa forums and many fans are calling for going for Poyet and taking a chance on him despite experience.

Guessing he may be tempted and as much as it fills me with absolute dread to think of him going, if they do move for him, what do you think he'd do? Martinez loyalty or to big an opportunity?

So much hinges on our brilliant manager, our transfer elation, these quality player transfer rumours and our hopes for next season which could all be stifled very quickly.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/aston-villa-specials/next-permanent-manager

Please somebody reassure me :facepalm:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He's not going anywhere at this stage.

He hasn't spent £1.5 million (and counting) on new players this Summer alone, not to mention spending 18 months moulding this team and club the way he wants it just to piss off to Birmingham at the first sign of interest from Villa.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
He's not going anywhere at this stage.

He hasn't spent £1.5 million (and counting) on new players this Summer alone, not to mention spending 18 months moulding this team and club the way he wants it just to piss off to Birmingham at the first sign of interest from Villa.

this is the correct answer

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez !!!!!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If I'm honest quite surprised he was not linked previously (although been out of country so may have missed it), big name who has done well in his coaching career and now as manager

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He was linked in mid may, before Houllier stood down, as on Villas "short list"

I hope you're all right, but I doubt he would jump from Brighton to Chelsea or Spurs. Wigan and Fulham mentions didn't bother me at all.

Villa, with some of their fans calling for him, are the sort of club that worry me, would be the ideal next step towards Chelsea or Spurs and since his odds today were slashed........ well I hope its nothing more than speculation. Cheers for replying.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Unlikely on balance, but I've no doubts he'd do a good job for them. It would be a huge leap of faith from the Villa board.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I really do think that he will stick around for at least another season or two. He didn't rush into management and he has a fantastic opportunity here. He's not silly. His stock is rising and he is shaping the whole club into something that works for him. If anything, I really do believe that he wants to see how things turn out here. He is a man that finishes things, not one that will flit between jobs.

wakokid

Jun 10, 2011
Lancing
I think Mr Poyet realises that this (being manager of Brighton) is one of those very rare opportunities that only ever come along once every blue moon to really make an impact on a club. He has everything going for him at our club and the sky is the limit as far as potential goes. What would he get at Villa? One or two seasons of constant pressure with the threat of being sacked once they've lost a couple of games in a row. OK he might get more money in the short term but he's definitely a man with his head screwed on and one eye on the future. Mate, sleep well tonight it'll all be ok :)

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
No way.

Only just started the Albion project.

He may be aware that the miserable Villa fans moan about everything .... didn't like a succession of managers, don't want McLaren, Martinez too low profile for a 'big' club, Houllier upset them, O'Neill upset them.

Better to be in the positive Albion environment, and later on manage a massive club in Spain or England. Still young and why job hop?

He'll give the feeder club to Manchester (Yorke, Bosnich, Barry, Milner, Young) a miss.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I think Mr Poyet realises that this (being manager of Brighton) is one of those very rare opportunities that only ever come along once every blue moon to really make an impact on a club. He has everything going for him at our club and the sky is the limit as far as potential goes. What would he get at Villa? One or two seasons of constant pressure with the threat of being sacked once they've lost a couple of games in a row. OK he might get more money in the short term but he's definitely a man with his head screwed on and one eye on the future. Mate, sleep well tonight it'll all be ok :)

Exactly. I don't think we really appreciate what an opportunity this is for Gus. We are so used to being the poor relation. The job that every manager abandons as soon as something better comes along. But this is different. Gus has a chairman that is a fan of the club, and has plenty of money to spend. I think their joint ambition is far beyond what we dare imagine. I honestly think they expect to be in the premiership in 2 years MAXIMUM. And I don't think they plan to just survive once they get there. These are exciting times. TB knows it, Gus knows it. Now we just have to believe it. Relax and enjoy the ride.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
On Sky Sports News earlier, they said according to their sources Villa will get an outside manager who hasn't been mentioned in the bookies before. Really hope its not Gus.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
simpsons cuckoo.gif

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we're turning into bedwetters when someone is seventh favourite for a job then we really ought to grow up. I'm surprised that Paul Lambert is 50/1 though, two promotions in two years is a hell of an achievement.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What would he get at Villa? One or two seasons of constant pressure with the threat of being sacked once they've lost a couple of games in a row.

While this is generally true of clubs, Lerner looks to be the sort of guy to give managers a chance. Villa is exactly the sort of club where he could learn how to manage a Premiership club.

And the odds don't mean anything. Michael Owen was something like 2-1 to come to us a couple of weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here