Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Stadium of Light

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Charlie was extremely surprised at all the speculation surrounding Gus and Reading. As far as he is concerned, Gus has unfinished business with us and will see out at least this contract, if not beyond. He was also not aware that Gus had even spoken to them.

Gus' dismissive reaction to the Reading question after the match last night would also suggest that, to me at least, that it was a non-event.

I know that this is football and anything happens, but i still believe that Gus will be here long term and will not leave until he has achieved his goals with us and that all the speculation surrounding his future is paper/NSC talk.

Maybe HB&B will ask him some searching questions in this regard in the next press conference?:rolleyes:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's the perfect club for Gus to go to.
More logical than Reading but still a long way from being perfect. That would be someone like West Ham... big support, rich owners, new stadium on the way, in London and safely in the Premiership next season. Now that I could understand.
I don't think he'll go to Sunderland.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A well-connected friend of mine in the north-east claims Poyet is Sunderland's top target. Which would be worrying.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Gus will play the long game the fact he is linked with every job that comes up shows how respected he is. However Gus knows the game and does not strike me as someone who would jump in the hotseat of a club whose chairman is having the last roll of the dice to stay in the premier league.

However if an offer came in the summer I think he would go

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
They may well come calling in the summer.

They might be about to appoint an interim manager to fire-fight then appoint a long term successor to O'Neill in the summer.

That might appeal to Gus if they stay up or not as he wouldn't have A relegation on his CV. Plus I'm sure he wouldn't leave us in the lurch on the edge of the playoffs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Could be a case of backing to lay.......he's 14/1 with Chandlers, I can see him being favourite for the job at some point.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This board is full of deluded Brighton fans. Why would he not go to Sunderland, they get 40k fans a week have a billionaire owner and I understand where people say why would he want to live in the NE - he could live much less than an hour away in one of the most desirable parts of the UK around York or Harrogate.

Someone was saying about JCLs or whatever at Sunderland, I think of nearly all clubs in the league Brighton are not a club that can say anything about that having gone from recent years with 2 men and a dog to over 25k.

Sunderland can still stay in the league where as Brighton are still no where near confirmed as been promoted.

One last point is the history and even more importantly the rivalry - Palace and Brighton is not even anywhere near the same league as Sunderland Newcastle which is more than some stupid "hatred" which means nothing in reality where as the North East derby goes back centuries for the fights of industry.

All that said I cant see Gus going!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The way Sunderland released that statement it seems like they have someone already lined up so not worried at all about this.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Sunderland aren't much better than Reading, Gus won't go there

But they are a massive club that can get 45,000 gates whereas Reading are similar sized to us.

Rich history and perennial under-achievers.

Although you are right, their squad isn't great by Premier standards and will need a complete rebuild.

Can't see Poyet taking it though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One last point is the history and even more importantly the rivalry - Palace and Brighton is not even anywhere near the same league as Sunderland Newcastle which is more than some stupid "hatred" which means nothing in reality where as the North East derby goes back centuries for the fights of industry.

What on earth has that got to do with it?

The rest of your points are fine, but the fact Sunderland have rivalry with Newcastle is not going to be a selling point for potential manager, and it's not going to be a point to choose Sunderland over saying with brighton for gus.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Whilst I think Sunderland will have someone else lined up short term to replace ONeil any of our fans questioning whether Sunderland are a huge step up from us or Reading are living in cloud cukoo land.

If they backed Poyet with money and gave him a couple of years to build that is exactly the sort of club that could be challenging at the right end of the Premiership. Huge support, great big stadium, very wealthy owners.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
All I've heard this morning on the radio is that Sunderland are expecting to appoint MON's replacement within the next 24hrs. Shirley that would indicate somebody that they had previously spoken to; or somebody out of work looking for a job?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Could be a case of backing to lay.......he's 14/1 with Chandlers, I can see him being favourite for the job at some point.

I was thinking this.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Lee Clark

OK I know he played for Newcastle for the majority of his career,but also played for Sunderland

And you have to say,he's done very well at Huddersfield & Birmingham

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Lee Clark

OK I know he played for Newcastle for the majority of his career,but also played for Sunderland

And you have to say,he's done very well at Huddersfield & Birmingham

Have you not seen the picture of him in that t shirt that caused his departure from Sunderland. Lee Clark will not be the next Sunderland manager.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
This board is full of deluded Brighton fans. Why would he not go to Sunderland, they get 40k fans a week have a billionaire owner and I understand where people say why would he want to live in the NE - he could live much less than an hour away in one of the most desirable parts of the UK around York or Harrogate.

Someone was saying about JCLs or whatever at Sunderland, I think of nearly all clubs in the league Brighton are not a club that can say anything about that having gone from recent years with 2 men and a dog to over 25k.

Sunderland can still stay in the league where as Brighton are still no where near confirmed as been promoted.

All that said I cant see Gus going!

Spoken like a true Sunderland supporter :lolol:

I am sure that they will appoint another hoofball merchant rather then Gus

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Have you not seen the picture of him in that t shirt that caused his departure from Sunderland. Lee Clark will not be the next Sunderland manager.

just read up on it,didn't see it at the time

yeah,not good that sort of behaviour

mind you Mullers went to the scum up the road

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Martin O'Neill is set to become new manager of Leeds after being seen on the tube with Ken Bates :facepalm:

BGov_DZCMAApswi.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here