Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet tells League to dump JPT Tournament

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
pointless cup, only good thing is the day at wembly if we somehow make it to the final

I don't understand these people who are saying it's pointless, but then saying 'oh unless we get to the final of course, then it would be great!'

Surely by this very definition then the competition is NOT pointless?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A really pathetic excuse for not going ... "Gus told me not to bother".

I bet there were a few people who went to Northampton who'd rather Gus had forewarned them that he was playing the stiffs though. Thats wouldn't have been Gus telling them not to bother - it would've allowed them to make an informed decision at least, before setting off.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A really pathetic excuse for not going ... "Gus told me not to bother".

I think it is a good reason. If the manager states he can't be arsed why should we ?. I suppose it was different when McGhee got crucified when we bottled it against Stoke when we were ALREADY RELEGATED ?. Are you saying the team and players not caring should make us care ?. I don't get your point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
WW has stated his opinion. Whether you agree with it or not it does not make him a Wanker and all the other shit has has been expected to take. I agree its a shit compeition but Poyet is getting ahead of himself. We are a 3rd division team who cannot pick and choose the games we can be bothered with. He basically gave up without a fight in the League cup and has given up without a fight in the JPT. We are not in a position to be so arrogant and disrectpectful at this stage. I guess ayone having 2nd thoughts about going tomorrow can't be arsed now as Poyet clearly can't be arsed.

Where does it say he can't be arsed. In fact, the item on the club site says he's putting out a strong XI. What he is saying is that he doesn't like these sort of competitions getting in the way which is understandable when a good player like Navarro has been injured for over half of the season playing in a cup match.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps Gus should have thought about this when he picked the team to play Northampton, which if we had won may have given us a match against a Premier side and then put out the reserves/trialists in this match. H e will learn with each bit of experience he gains as a manager.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I bet there were a few people who went to Northampton who'd rather Gus had forewarned them that he was playing the stiffs though. Thats wouldn't have been Gus telling them not to bother - it would've allowed them to make an informed decision at least, before setting off.

Yup, I was one of those mugs, £27 for a rail ticket, £15 for a ticket, £5 for a taxi and £4 on the tube was a Hawaii I would rather have kept in my pocket.

I have NO issue with Gus messing round with the team, but out of respect for the fans he could give us a heads up first.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I can understand people not being able to get motivated to go and so don't bother.

But I really think it's a mistake for Gus to slag it off so publicly. Can't imagine how he prepares the team for the match, let alone his team talk.

It must make it hard for the fringe players like the Argies, Hart, Holroyd, Bridcutt etc who are likely to get games in the tournament, to make an impression if the manager is saying it's a pointless waste of time. The established players aren't then going to give two shits and their performance and lack of effort then has a negative effect on the guys who actually want to play well.

The fact is we do need to play in the cup at the moment and complaining to the media won't help matters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not that bad. And I like the fact the organisers are trying to make it attractive and accessible to kids. As for fixture congestion, not that big an issue seeing as we were dumped out of the League Cup at the first opportunity. Will it buy you a top striker? The receipts from a final might.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Yup, I was one of those mugs, £27 for a rail ticket, £15 for a ticket, £5 for a taxi and £4 on the tube was a Hawaii I would rather have kept in my pocket.

I have NO issue with Gus messing round with the team, but out of respect for the fans he could give us a heads up first.

Eh?

What do you want him to do - announce his team to all and sundry so you can then make an informed decision whether to go or not?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
He is absolutely spot on. This tournament IS a waste of time. Would I go to Wembley for the Final ? Obviously, for the day out. But its still not a trophy I would proudly proclaim even if we did go and win the thing. Its hardly something to be proud of really, is it ? It just re-affirms the fact that your club is small-time, or at least playing in the small-time.

Expect a reserve side tomorrow. Holroyd and OGH up front please Gus.

This

I agree with Gus 100%
:albion1:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eh?

What do you want him to do - announce his team to all and sundry so you can then make an informed decision whether to go or not?

Errr...yes. Or at least indicate it'll be "ha chance for some of our squad players to get a game".

I hardly think we needed to keep it a secret from the Northampton manager.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Errr...yes. Or at least indicate it'll be "ha chance for some of our squad players to get a game".

I hardly think we needed to keep it a secret from the Northampton manager.

Well without trawling through the archives and seeing if he did or didn't say something like that anyway, if you're a supporter travelling to a 4th tier club for a League Cup 1st round tie, then you should know there's a fair chance your manager might rest a few? Particularly considering you've got a few new players to bed in?

I like the attention to detail on the accent on the quote by the way!

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Oh yeah, i've used a nick name for a tournament and that automatically makes me pathetic.

I'm sure i've seen many people on here call the league cup (once Worthington's) the "worthless cup" - would they all be pathetic if we won it?
Knob.

Its not nick naming a cup competition that makes you pathetic. Just take a look at some of your posts today and you might see why some other posters think that you are the "knob".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well without trawling through the archives and seeing if he did or didn't say something like that anyway, if you're a supporter travelling to a 4th tier club for a League Cup 1st round tie, then you should know there's a fair chance your manager might rest a few? Particularly considering you've got a few new players to bed in?

I like the attention to detail on the accent on the quote by the way!

A few....certainly.
SEVEN changes though ? I wouldn't have expected that, no.

Oh, and I just LOVE Gus's accent :thumbsup:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
One good thing from this crap cup is that it is Greers last match for his suspension so he is available for the next league match

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Wondering if people think it would be a better option for the League Cup to be for Prem and Championship teams only, and keep the JPT for Leagues 1 and 2.
Perhaps that might also bring back some of the glamour of the FA Cup because it would be the one comp when lower league teams have the chance to come up against one of the premiership teams.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
From a fans point of view it is a cheap game and a chance to play a final at Wembley, but we don't have to deal woth the repercussions of a game abnd pontential injuries or a distraction to league preparation.

He has a point from his perspective and that is where he is talking from... obviously.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Spot on. What's the point of going to Wembley to win a pointless 'trophy'. Might as well go on a stadium tour. Scrap the JPT. Or can we decline to enter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here