Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet tells League to dump JPT Tournament

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think he has half a point but targets the wrong tournement. the league cup is pretty pointless for clubs below the Championship, while its pretty pointless for the Premier League clubs too. but then, i cant really see much positive about the League trophy either, most teams use it as a reserve game until they get far enough to think they have a chance.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sure he understands it perfectly well.

But if nobody gives a toss about the trophy, then whats the point ? I know Southampton are the current holders, but I certainly couldn't tell you who won it the year before, or any other year for that matter. I'd be perfectly happy to see the JPT scrapped, and my give-a-fuckometer will not twitch one iota if/when we get knocked out. Frankly I'd rather not risk the injuries and suspensions.

Save your give-a-fuckometer for the Words With Friends Cup :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Wow, more breathtaking backtracking by nsc's finest. I swear I copped a mouthful of abuse for suggesting I hope we go out this tournament in the first round every year. Now Gus says it's a waste of time everyone agrees. Joke.

Everyone agrees?

You're not wrong though, i remember people kicking off at you about it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But it gives us a chance to sing

"We're not going down (down)
We're not going up
But if we're really really good
We might win the JPT Cup"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mk Dons have won it twice - and i'm sure Luton were hate the trophy given the scenes when they knocked us out to get to the final, took 40,000 to Wembley and won it.

I appreciate there's no prestige in it, but what prestige is there in the League cup? Do the winners of that give a shit? Only if it's someone that isn't likely to have much success anywhere else. Not really much different to the JPT.

At least with the League Cup you've got a chance of meeting one of the 'big boys' though, and perhaps visiting somewhere decent. With the JPT, you're only ever going to face the usual dross you see all season anyway, or worse. I'm not exactly pressed to the radio waiting for the JPT draw to find out we've got...oooh, Wycombe away. Woo. Hoo.

Isn't there some silly rule that you have to play a minimum number of 'first team' players?

For what it's worth I think Gus is spot on here. Pointless competition, I'd rather we saved our players for the league.

Yes, I think you're right. They insist you field a certain number of first-teamers or they can fine you. Easy enough to get round though surely Just do an England squad jobbie and say so-and-so's tweaked their groin, etc etc.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What a tool.

Might as well scrap every competition in the World then that doesn't result in a European place for the winner, right down to Sunday league level.

The chance to win a trophy is generally the primary purpose of a cup competition. If he doesn't understand that then he shouldn't be a manager.

hmmmmm

now do I recall seeing you - along with very many others - call it the paintpot trophy? Not exactly holding it in high esteem but then you have to have something to knock the club/manager/players with don't you?

frankly rather pathetic

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
At least with the League Cup you've got a chance of meeting one of the 'big boys' though, and perhaps visiting somewhere decent. With the JPT, you're only ever going to face the usual dross you see all season anyway, or worse. I'm not exactly pressed to the radio waiting for the JPT draw to find out we've got...oooh, Wycombe away. Woo. Hoo.

Or a day out at Wembley?

Not really much difference is there, given the last 10 years in the league cup have seen us get one good draw...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
hmmmmm

now do I recall seeing you - along with very many others - call it the paintpot trophy? Not exactly holding it in high esteem but then you have to have something to knock the club/manager/players with don't you?

frankly rather pathetic
Oh yeah, i've used a nick name for a tournament and that automatically makes me pathetic.

I'm sure i've seen many people on here call the league cup (once Worthington's) the "worthless cup" - would they all be pathetic if we won it?
Knob.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Quite. Gus could tell some of the people on this site he is about to molest their mum and they'd say it's what they've always wanted.

see my previous post

sad that people who purport to support a club should be so hostile

very bitter
very twisted
very small
and very sad

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wow, more breathtaking backtracking by nsc's finest. I swear I copped a mouthful of abuse for suggesting I hope we go out this tournament in the first round every year. Now Gus says it's a waste of time everyone agrees. Joke.

Who's backtracking? I said exactly the same just a couple of days ago.

I noticed you backtracked slightly from your "attention seeking" suggestion we would come 16th...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or a day out at Wembley?

Not really much difference is there, given the last 10 years in the league cup have seen us get one good draw...

When I go to Wembley with the Albion, I want it to be for a game I give a toss about. I'm not saying I wouldn't go - of course I would - but the match itself wouldn't exactly stir me, not even as much as a League game.

It just doesn't matter enough.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What a tool.

Might as well scrap every competition in the World then that doesn't result in a European place for the winner, right down to Sunday league level.

The chance to win a trophy is generally the primary purpose of a cup competition. If he doesn't understand that then he shouldn't be a manager.

So if it is all about winning trophies and without looking it up - who were the last ten winners of the JPT (or previous names used for this trophy)
2009 - ?
2008 - ?
2007 - ?
2006 - ?
2005 - ?
2004 - ?
2003 - ?
2002 - ?
2001 - ?
2000 - ?

Also - Whats the point in running a competition for lower league clubs that can actually end up costing the clubs more money to stage it than they recoup through ticket sales, etc... for the game? especially in the early rounds.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we got to the area final, like we did against Luton. Everyone would be wetting their pants about it. I would love to see us at Wembley and lift the only cup, we stand a realistic chance of winning. As for Poyet saying it does not buy you a striker or whatever it was he said. Im sure the revenew from winning and a 50k + crowd at Wembley, would go some way to funding a signing. I get the impression they interviewed Poyet at rather a bad time today, something to do with the lack of finding a 25 goal striker perhaps???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here