Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet tells League to dump JPT Tournament

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Brighton manager Gus Poyet has called on the Football League to consider the future of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
The Seagulls face Leyton Orient in the first round of this year's competition on Wednesday.
"When I used to play in the Premiership we always complained there were too many cups," he told BBC Sussex.
"We [in League One and Two] are lucky enough to have an extra one. Why? I think the Football League need to answer that. It's not necessary."
He added: "Honestly, I don't think it should be there."
Poyet also played down the chance of reaching a showpiece final at Wembley.

"People say 'It's good to get to the final because it's a good day out at Wembley'. It's good to get to the final if you win," he said.
"I don't enjoy going to Wembley and losing. Does it give you the possibility of going up? No. The possibility of getting into Europe? No. The possibility of buying a top striker? No. It's just a trip to Wembley."

BBC
:clap2: :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What a tool.

Might as well scrap every competition in the World then that doesn't result in a European place for the winner, right down to Sunday league level.

The chance to win a trophy is generally the primary purpose of a cup competition. If he doesn't understand that then he shouldn't be a manager.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He is absolutely spot on. This tournament IS a waste of time. Would I go to Wembley for the Final ? Obviously, for the day out. But its still not a trophy I would proudly proclaim even if we did go and win the thing. Its hardly something to be proud of really, is it ? It just re-affirms the fact that your club is small-time, or at least playing in the small-time.

Expect a reserve side tomorrow. Holroyd and OGH up front please Gus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Haha, I love it! Nice to see Gus agrees with my point from the other day. The JPT is a COMPLETE waste of time.

Still spent £20 on it for tomorrow night though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A trip to Wembley in the JPT or 3 points in the next league fixture ?....i would take the 3 points thanks

What a tool.

Might as well scrap every competition in the World then that doesn't result in a European place for the winner, right down to Sunday league level.

The chance to win a trophy is generally the primary purpose of a cup competition. If he doesn't understand that then he shouldn't be a manager.

:wozza:

In YOUR opinion.

Gus is giving HIS opinion as a former professional footballer and as our manager.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Blimey, surely the Football League are going to have a word with Gus at some point with regards to his conduct (post match interviews etc), Im sure Johnstones Paints wont be too happy either.

He's right though!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a tool.

I'm sure he understands it perfectly well.

But if nobody gives a toss about the trophy, then whats the point ? I know Southampton are the current holders, but I certainly couldn't tell you who won it the year before, or any other year for that matter. I'd be perfectly happy to see the JPT scrapped, and my give-a-fuckometer will not twitch one iota if/when we get knocked out. Frankly I'd rather not risk the injuries and suspensions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is absolutely spot on. This tournament IS a waste of time. Would I go to Wembley for the Final ? Obviously, for the day out. But its still not a trophy I would proudly proclaim even if we did go and win the thing. Its hardly something to be proud of really, is it ? It just re-affirms the fact that your club is small-time, or at least playing in the small-time.

Team news would indicate otherwise.

Seagulls fans can expect a strong Albion XI to take on Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on Wednesday, kick-off 7.15pm.

Matt Sparrow is set to start, after returning from a three-match suspension, while Liam Bridcutt is expected to make his Albion debut.

Boss Gus Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "Matt Sparrow is desperate to play so you can expect to see him, and that is good for the team.

"It's a great opportunity for Liam [Bridcutt] also and he will play part of the game. One, because he is here to play games, and also because Kish [Radostin Kishishev] is suffering from a few niggles, so we want to give him a bit of a rest."

Possible Line-up

Albion: (4-4-2) Ankergren; Calderon, Elphick, El-Abd, Painter; Bennett, Dicker, Sparrow, Jamie Smith; Barnes, Murray. Subs from: Walker (GK), Poke (GK), Cook, Whing, Battipiedi, Baz, Holroyd, Hart, Bridcutt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And do we not actually make a LOSS when we stage these games at home ?

Utterly pointless competition, and I'm glad Gus has the honesty to call it such.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I'm sure he understands it perfectly well.

But if nobody gives a toss about the trophy, then whats the point ? I know Southampton are the current holders, but I certainly couldn't tell you who won it the year before, or any other year for that matter. I'd be perfectly happy to see the JPT scrapped, and my give-a-fuckometer will not twitch one iota if/when we get knocked out. Frankly I'd rather not risk the injuries and suspensions.

Mk Dons have won it twice - and i'm sure Luton were hate the trophy given the scenes when they knocked us out to get to the final, took 40,000 to Wembley and won it.

I appreciate there's no prestige in it, but what prestige is there in the League cup? Do the winners of that give a shit? Only if it's someone that isn't likely to have much success anywhere else. Not really much different to the JPT.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Isn't there some silly rule that you have to play a minimum number of 'first team' players?

For what it's worth I think Gus is spot on here. Pointless competition, I'd rather we saved our players for the league.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Team news would indicate otherwise.

Seagulls fans can expect a strong Albion XI to take on Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on Wednesday, kick-off 7.15pm.

Matt Sparrow is set to start, after returning from a three-match suspension, while Liam Bridcutt is expected to make his Albion debut.

Boss Gus Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "Matt Sparrow is desperate to play so you can expect to see him, and that is good for the team.

"It's a great opportunity for Liam [Bridcutt] also and he will play part of the game. One, because he is here to play games, and also because Kish [Radostin Kishishev] is suffering from a few niggles, so we want to give him a bit of a rest."

Possible Line-up

Albion: (4-4-2) Ankergren; Calderon, Elphick, El-Abd, Painter; Bennett, Dicker, Sparrow, Jamie Smith; Barnes, Murray. Subs from: Walker (GK), Poke (GK), Cook, Whing, Battipiedi, Baz, Holroyd, Hart, Bridcutt.

Well, it would at least let Sparrow get some match fitness, and it gives a chance for some fringers to get a game. But its basically a practice match, I certainly won't bother going.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Can't say I agree with him to be honest.

When has a JPT game caused us a problem? I think it's nice to be in a cup that we can actually realistically win. I realise it means F all but would still be a great day at Wembley. And I enjoy evening cup games.

Guess I'm in the minority though!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a tool.

You really hate Poyet don't you?

On a more practical note, it may be worth spunking your mortgage on an Orient win on Wednesday,

I will be quite happy to go out early. Hopefully we won't qualify for the competition soon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here