Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet right

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
i wouldn't imagine forster is too bothered. he will leave and go to a much better club and then gus will sign 11 el-abds to go down to league two with all the while fans spouting gus being a genius.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
i wouldn't imagine forster is too bothered. he will leave and go to a much better club and then gus will sign 11 el-abds to go down to league two with all the while fans spouting gus being a genius.

That's probably exactly what Bloom has instructed Gus to do. :thumbsup:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Why does everyone assume that is was Gus' decision not to offer any more cntracts at the moment? Surely, Bloom would have some input in this and may have told GP that he would not sanction any more new contracts at this stage of the season?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why does everyone assume that is was Gus' decision not to offer any more cntracts at the moment? Surely, Bloom would have some input in this and may have told GP that he would not sanction any more new contracts at this stage of the season?

Pretty sure that's the case.

If we go down, there are several players that we simply could not afford to keep. NF being one of them.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

WOrth discussing again in about a year from now - I don't think you will be right

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Pretty sure that's the case.

If we go down, there are several players that we simply could not afford to keep. NF being one of them.

Really? I would have hoped giving our chairmans supposed vast wealth that going down wouldnt see us cut down the budget particularly, its not as if our attendances would drop that much considering the withdean hardcore would probably look forward to seeing us winning.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Really? I would have hoped giving our chairmans supposed vast wealth that going down wouldnt see us cut down the budget particularly, its not as if our attendances would drop that much considering the withdean hardcore would probably look forward to seeing us winning.

I think that is what is slightly confusing.

On the face of it if we were a Palace or Pompey and had no money (pause for moment of laughter :laugh:), then you could understand thinking that keeping Forster next year would not be worth the money. But given that this is not the case I would have thought having Forster at the very least as back up to a new pair of Murray plus someone, showing his no how to younger players and generally being available as a sub for the last twenty minutes would be invaluable, and worth a small slice of next years budget.

Unless of course the budget for next year is not going to be as big as some would think ???

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I think the longer this goes on the better Poyet looks. He's got this one absolutely spot on and has been refereshing honesty about it all. Top marks Gus. :thumbsup:

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Surley by not offering the 8 out of contract players a new contract until the end of the season is keeping them on their toes. "ok gus has just given me a 2 year deal I can take it easy now" Bollocks, they should be fighting for their lives and their place at this club. Well done Gus.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surley by not offering the 8 out of contract players a new contract until the end of the season is keeping them on their toes. "ok gus has just given me a 2 year deal I can take it easy now" Bollocks, they should be fighting for their lives and their place at this club. Well done Gus.

So... never give them a contract? The moment you give them a contract their future is secure, no need to keep trying.

Or do we do the weekly contract thing, each week earning the next week's contract. Working for Carole, isn't it - great performance v Huddersfield?

Give them contracts to the ones you want to keep and give them a vested interest in survival this year. They don't want their team to go down. Cut loose those you don't want. Those you're unsure of tell them and they can play for their contracts.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The vast majority of players are like us,mercenary wage slaves,loyal to themselves and families,its just some,like us are more ambitious than others.Forester is no different,its just we think he should be !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think that is what is slightly confusing.

On the face of it if we were a Palace or Pompey and had no money (pause for moment of laughter :laugh:), then you could understand thinking that keeping Forster next year would not be worth the money. But given that this is not the case I would have thought having Forster at the very least as back up to a new pair of Murray plus someone, showing his no how to younger players and generally being available as a sub for the last twenty minutes would be invaluable, and worth a small slice of next years budget.

Unless of course the budget for next year is not going to be as big as some would think ???

I dont get this... Why do people seem to think Bloom is willing to spunk a load on players? he has just paid for a new ground

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I dont get this... Why do people seem to think Bloom is willing to spunk a load on players? he has just paid for a new ground

He did also spend 1M + in the summer window, ironically most of those have failed so far yet a lot of the free signings have come good...???

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
EL-ABD to me is a one paced horse who's future isn't as bright as many people think.I would rather risk forster than al-abd as i feel forster has another couple of years left at least.

This whole situation is a shambles and i can see both sides but what i see is a club captain who has had more passion and drive than any of our players for 3 years.I feel that forster being captain should get some sort of priority and respect regardless of all this shenanagans.???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think Poyet has come out saying the right things that some fans want to hear and playing up to the media. Whether this is actually his view only time will tell. Hopefully the 'olive branch' that seems to have been offered should be taken by Forster for his own interests.

However, the fact remains that we were already in the relegation battle in December when the club chose to discuss contracts with El Abd. We may still be in a relegation battle upto the last game of the season, ie second Saturday in May. That doesn't give anyone much of a chance to find a new club which counteracts his comments about looking after players.

Any contracts can include clauses relating to relegation so that is not an argument to delay.

There is far more to this than we know or that we are being told.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There is far more to this than we know or that we are being told.

I suspect one of many things we are not being told (directly at least) is that the Board approved el abd's contract but subsequently, with relegation remaining a real possibility, they decided to instruct Poyet to wait until the club's future (and the likely effect on revenue) were clarified.

If true, that seems to me to be perfectly legitimate and I can see no reason in any business to make your immediate financial standing overly apparent to your competitors as it is then that the vultures start to circle and pick off your prime assets.

As fans we are not (nor ever have been) entitled to know details of the club's finances beyond those required to be published or the Board's instructions to the manager other than those they chose to make public. It may be sport and it may be our passion but it is a business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here