Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet right

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I cant believe anyone moaning about gus on this, hes doing his job, very well it seems and has instilled some discipline into the club, something that has been lacking has it not?? He obviously did`nt want a herd of players coming into his office willy nilly over the next few months of the season all bleating for contracts (post sorting out el-abd) and decided to tell them we cant discuss it now we are in a relegation battle, thereby ensuring each player tries their hardest between now and the end of the season. Thats good management, if Forster didnt like it he should have kept it within the club, but he didnt.

As for these forster lovers, he has been a great servant but so was Guy Butters, did we keep giving him another contract even though age had caught up with him and he couldnt run anymore?? No we didnt, we said thanks very much Guy and he understood. Unlike a few years ago at this club, new contracts are for future potential performances now, not past efforts, which have already been suitably rewarded in Forsters case, if any of these quoted wages are at all accurate. I dont blame Gus for hesitating on Forster and the other eight, I would be too.

As for El-abd`s worth, ask any striker or winger for any team we play, who was the one player they hated playing against us and they will say El-abd. I spoke to a father whose son played for Bournemouth when we played them 2-3 seasons ago the night after the game and all he went on about was how fed up his son was playing against el-abd. He`s a terrier, he really gets stuck in and players are always wary of him, yes he does have the odd game where he gets caught and he`ll never be Tony Adams but hes useful and ultimately if a contract had been virtually agreed before the decision was made about keeping the rest waiting, then its only right that the club honour it.

spunkmonkey

Jul 11, 2005
Eastbourne
Forster's position is no different from that of at least 10 players at every football league club in the country. It's part of the professional football, your contract is expiring and clubs want to make the right decision on players for the next season. I'd like to think we'll stay up but if we don't finances will dictate the size and the players in the squad and likewise if we do stay up it's fairly evident that our squad needs changing again!

Gus is completely in the right and by doing what he is doing he will make the right decision for our club. We might not agree with them all but it's his responsibility and I am backing him.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
what has el-abd done to deserve a contract? I do know this, removing Forster's goals this season, we would be 9 points lower and in the past 2 seasons here he has contributed much more than el-abd has ever done.

if gus really believes that there are no contract discussions until end of season, then el-abd should have never been given one. someone who has saved us from relegation season over season vs some turd of a player that really shouldn't be here if he is a real sign of aspiration we have as a club, signing hawkins was a more sign of ambition than keeping el abd around.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Like he says, let one player get away with it you then got 25 more trying it on. Forster should pick up hes dolls and bang in the goals to keep the club up

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
it's not easy for forster when you have to try to outscore what the idiot turd el-abd lets in.. must be really encouraging of a player when you see your team concede 7 goals and sees him get a new contract. graeme smith is gone, so should el-abd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If I was on anyones side over this it was Forsters, but reading this has changed my mind. Nothing about waiting until contracts are up, just when we look safe from relegation, and Gus explains the El Abd deal was sorted before this decision so looks it does now look as thoght NF has been a bit of a prat.

But wasn't the contract only signed a couple of weeks ago. If they had come to this decision at the begining of the year they could equally have put talks on hold.

I suspect one of many things we are not being told (directly at least) is that the Board approved el abd's contract but subsequently, with relegation remaining a real possibility, they decided to instruct Poyet to wait until the club's future (and the likely effect on revenue) were clarified.

If true, that seems to me to be perfectly legitimate and I can see no reason in any business to make your immediate financial standing overly apparent to your competitors as it is then that the vultures start to circle and pick off your prime assets.

As fans we are not (nor ever have been) entitled to know details of the club's finances beyond those required to be published or the Board's instructions to the manager other than those they chose to make public. It may be sport and it may be our passion but it is a business.

I cant believe anyone moaning about gus on this, hes doing his job, very well it seems and has instilled some discipline into the club, something that has been lacking has it not?? He obviously did`nt want a herd of players coming into his office willy nilly over the next few months of the season all bleating for contracts (post sorting out el-abd) and decided to tell them we cant discuss it now we are in a relegation battle, thereby ensuring each player tries their hardest between now and the end of the season. Thats good management, if Forster didnt like it he should have kept it within the club, but he didnt.

As for these forster lovers, he has been a great servant but so was Guy Butters, did we keep giving him another contract even though age had caught up with him and he couldnt run anymore?? No we didnt, we said thanks very much Guy and he understood. Unlike a few years ago at this club, new contracts are for future potential performances now, not past efforts, but in forsters case it is not past efforts but current efforts that he is seeking a contract. He is our top scorer or had you forgotten that.which have already been suitably rewarded in Forsters case, if any of these quoted wages are at all accurate. I dont blame Gus for hesitating on Forster and the other eight, I would be too.

As for El-abd`s worth, ask any striker or winger for any team we play, who was the one player they hated playing against us and they will say El-abd. I spoke to a father whose son played for Bournemouth when we played them 2-3 seasons ago the night after the game and all he went on about was how fed up his son was playing against el-abd. He`s a terrier, he really gets stuck in and players are always wary of him, yes he does have the odd game where he gets caught and he`ll never be Tony Adams but hes useful and ultimately if a contract had been virtually agreed before the decision was made about keeping the rest waiting, then its only right that the club honour it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have my own fantasy football team that trains in my mind for a few minutes a week, but collectively understands its every element well enough to form a team of point-stacking enemy-killers. That's my place and i choose to never listen to the advice of others as it would make me the laughing stock of the nonexistent dressing room that exists solely in my fetid little mind.
In terms of me advising the Poytster or any member of the key staff at the Albion in the real world as to how to organise contract discussions with those nearing the end of their deals or saying which washing powder got the grime best out of overused shorts and socks or prompting a new training method that i read in a magazine made sportsmen have the speed of the puma,the strength of the bear and the eyes of the hawk would make me look a complete nincompoop.
I'd like to see Forster stay on and work his socks off and dive about a bit for another season, but i'd guess those within the club working with these individuals daily would know better than i over the best path to take.
I'll stick to a fantasy mid-table end-of-season finish that i will personally be proud of as long as i end up above my real-life working manager whose side are level-pegging with mine at present. He deserves to be intellectually undermined because he earns more money than me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have my own fantasy football team that trains in my mind for a few minutes a week, but collectively understands its every element well enough to form a team of point-stacking enemy-killers. That's my place and i choose to never listen to the advice of others as it would make me the laughing stock of the nonexistent dressing room that exists solely in my fetid little mind.
In terms of me advising the Poytster or any member of the key staff at the Albion in the real world as to how to organise contract discussions with those nearing the end of their deals or saying which washing powder got the grime best out of overused shorts and socks or prompting a new training method that i read in a magazine made sportsmen have the speed of the puma,the strength of the bear and the eyes of the hawk would make me look a complete nincompoop.
I'd like to see Forster stay on and work his socks off and dive about a bit for another season, but i'd guess those within the club working with these individuals daily would know better than i over the best path to take.
I'll stick to a fantasy mid-table end-of-season finish that i will personally be proud of as long as i end up above my real-life working manager whose side are level-pegging with mine at present. He deserves to be intellectually undermined because he earns more money than me.

:thumbsup: eloquently put..........I really look forward to your posts (well sometimes anyway) :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
El Abd is the HARDEST player at the club. Tho Poyet is no shrinking violet he could HAVE Forster but I reckon he would meet his match in El Abd thats why he got a contract!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Meade's Ball is spot on the money (even if I don't fully get the number of words he's used to make his point). Either you think Gus knows what he's doing after a big old number of years in management and has properly and fairly dealt with the behind the scenes goings on of which not a soul among us is privilege to; or you're an opinionated prick who thinks he know better based on a half misunderstood Argus report.

How about we trust the man we were all happy to see appointed and give a bit of the old faith towards the 'Club'.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
IMHO

Gus was at the Albion in the Community Forum last night.

Didn't skirt the issue, stated from the outset that he had no personal problem with Nicky Forster, but stated that he had informed all of the 9 players who were out of contract in the summer that nothing would be discussed until the season was over, 8 had adhered to this, one via his agent hadn't.

If he hadn't have taken the action which he has, what message would that have sent out to the other 8, and in fact the rest of the squad?

I went to Burgess Hill hoping there was a way back, now I'm not so sure, Forster clearly has to back down or discredit his agent, but I'm with the manager on this one, its about the club as a whole not one specific player.
just read a bunch of quotes from the forum - IMHO Gus really knows what he's talking about, the comments about El Abd being our best defender were a eye opener...., again, we are very lucky to have him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Having read 134 posts worth of applications for the manager's position, I think I will stick with Gus :thumbsup:

(Although Meade's Ball did run him a close second)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Having read 134 posts worth of applications for the manager's position, I think I will stick with Gus :thumbsup:

(Although Meade's Ball did run him a close second)

:)
In my own little online managerial world i signed Titus Bramble as my defensive lynchpin. What a crock. Don't let me take over whatever you do, unless we need to be relegated to make millions as part of one of Blooming Marvelous' madcap gambling schemes that will eventually make us the new Man City/Notts County. Then i will do my best and guarantee something completely unorganised, but accidentally pretty in places.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Did anyone see the BBC South-East news last night, they always feature the Gills as they're just down the road.
Someone said the Gills have their eyes on a loan signing for up-front, could Fozzie be going back to where he spent some happy seasons?

I can't believe Albion would release him to a potential relegation rival though.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
:)
In my own little online managerial world i signed Titus Bramble as my defensive lynchpin. What a crock. Don't let me take over whatever you do, unless we need to be relegated to make millions as part of one of Blooming Marvelous' madcap gambling schemes that will eventually make us the new Man City/Notts County. Then i will do my best and guarantee something completely unorganised, but accidentally pretty in places.

Man City? Potentially more like Chester City, after all they have the nice new Deva Stadium .....:facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe that Poyet should make the first move but would think that it is in everybody's best interests for Forster to go into his office and talk with him perhaps then the problem may be resolved. I dont think that it is a case of Forster eating humble pie just clearing the air as to what has actually happened and not what has been reported as happening , which may be different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here